|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 7.0.3.
Spirit was a secondary stat that regenerated mana. It was one of the most important stats for healers, allowing them to continue healing for prolonged periods, with lack of sufficient spirit often causing under-geared healers to run out of mana prematurely. Spirit was of no practical use to non-healing specs, since they regenerated mana by other means.
- Main article: Mana regeneration
Temporary buffs to spirit
There were several consumable buffs to spirit. Not all stacked with each other, and some have limited availability.
- Cozy Fire - Increases the spirits of those nearby by 4.
- - Has a chance to increase spirit by 5 with the buff Healthy Spirit.
- - At maximum rank (VIII), 64 spirit for 30 minutes. Battle Elixir.
- - 18 spirit for 60 minutes. Increases Intellect, as well. Battle Elixir.
- - 30 spirit for 60 minutes. Increases Intellect, as well. Battle Elixir.
- - All stats increased by 15 for 60 minutes. Battle Elixir.
Food (food or drink):
- buffs from Various foods - 20 spirit for 30 minutes. (Feltail Delight, Clam Bar, Golden Fishsticks, Poached Bluefish, and more.)
- - 10 spirit for 10 minutes. (Doesn't stack with food.)
- - 25 spirit, -5 int for 15 minutes. This item can be purchased from Stomper Kreeg after successfully completing a Dire Maul tribute run. (Stacks with everything.)
- - 20 spirit for 30 minutes. Cannot be cast on self. Seasonal - Winter Veil
- - Increases all stats by 10% for 60 minutes. Seasonal - Lunar festival
Some talents and abilities allow you to use your spirit in other ways.
Spirit is one of the elemental forces. Pandaren use the word chi for the same energy used by shamans to heal. It is the primal life force the shaman tap into. Monks harness their inner chi (i.e. inner spirit) to power their abilities, while using their bodies as their main weapon: Chi energy is directed to control the battlefield by enhancing own's movement and restricting foe’s, healing allies while simultaneously damaging enemies, or invoking celestial spirits to aid in battle.
In the RPG
Spirit in the RPG has an entirely different meaning and function than in World of Warcraft.
In the RPG, Spirit relates to common sense and the ability to perceive the environment. It gives a character the ability to look at a forest and find the tracks of a creature; at the simplest level it allows a character to know not to put his hands in the fire, else they will get burned. Any creature that can perceive its environment in any fashion has at least some Spirit. Those who survive by wit and intuition, such as healers and scouts, have high Spirit.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Removed. Replaced on items by Versatility, or Mastery if the item already had Versatility.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Spirit no longer affects health regeneration, and now provides hit rating with certain talent trees.