|Race||Black dragon (Dragonkin)|
|Affiliation(s)||Highmountain Tribe, Black dragonflight|
|Occupation||Advisor to the High Chieftain of Highmountain|
Ebyssian, also known as Ebonhorn, is one of the last few remaining black dragons in existence. His egg was purified before he was born and was thus freed from the corruption of his dragonflight in Neltharion's former lair by 10,000 years ago, making him the oldest uncorrupted black dragon in existence. Ever since, Ebyssian has watched over Huln's descendants under the disguise of a Highmountain tauren spiritwalker named Spiritwalker Ebonhorn.
Ebyssian cannot leave Highmountain or he risks the Old Gods trying to corrupt him.
Shortly after the War of the Ancients, the tauren hero used the to banish the corrupted Dragon Aspect from the Broken Isles. Afterwards, and him came across a batch of black dragon eggs in the back of Neltharion's Vault. Igrul argued that they should all be destroyed, but Huln instead used the Hammer to purify one of the eggs, permanently freeing it from the corruption of the Old Gods. Soon, it hatched, and the black whelp emerged. Huln declared that he would call it "Ebonhorn" after its tiny black horns.
In gratitude, Ebyssian has since faithfully served the Highmountain family under the guise of a spiritwalker, guiding each of Huln's descendants during their reigns as High Chieftain and only revealing his true identity to them upon their secretive ascension ceremony.
A Mountain DividedThis section concerns content exclusive to the World of Warcraft comics.
When the Burning Legion returned to Azeroth, Ebonhorn called a meeting between the leaders of the tauren tribes — , , and — as well as the Underking of the drogbar, . There, he revealed that he had seen a message left by the spirits deep within Neltharion's Vault: that the Legion's fall would come at the hands of champions from outside Highmountain, empowered by the and aided by all the peoples of an undivided Highmountain. This caused outrage among Dargrul and the tauren chieftains, who said that the Hammer belonged to the people of Highmountain alone. Ulan responded that the Highmountain Tribe would obey the spirits, and Jale, Lasan and Torok begrudgingly said that their tribes would do so as well. Dargrul, however, claimed that he had also visited Neltharion's Vault but had seen nothing of outsiders — only that strength would drive back the Legion. Without warning, he leaped forward and grabbed the hammer, using it to kill Ulan before fleeing. Distraught, Ebonhorn said that he never meant for the tragedy to happen. Ulan's daughter Mayla, now High Chieftain, replied, "But it did."
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Ebonhorn is first seen at Riverbend, the home of the Rivermane tribe, moments prior to the drogbar attack. Jale Rivermane calls him a "fool", but nonetheless asks the adventurer to evacuate the Riverbend villagers and direct them to the spiritwalker. When Dargrul arrives and uses the Hammer of Khaz'goroth to destroy most of Riverbend, Ebonhorn directs the adventurer to killing the drogbar raiders and rescuing some of the tauren caught in magical stone fists, after which they meet up with . After Oro's failed attempt to kill Dargrul, which results in the death of him and all of his warbraves, Ebonhorn asks the adventurer to escort Jale to Thunder Totem, after which he travels there as well.
According to Mayla, Ebonhorn insists on showing the champion the ways of the Highmountain tauren to make them better understand what is to come. Through a series of visions, the spiritwalker shows the hero the tale of , the legendary tauren hero who fought in the War of the Ancients. After the visions conclude, Ebonhorn travels with Mayla to the Path of Huln in order to perform a ritual to aid in her ascension to the title of High Chieftain. Asking the hero to act as Mayla's champion during the vision quest, the spiritwalker escorts the adventurer and the chieftain to Neltharion's Vault. Together, the three witness several visions depicting Huln Highmountain using the Hammer of Khaz'goroth to banish the corrupted Earth Warder from Highmountain. Before entering the final vision, Ebonhorn says that the tauren need a leader like Huln, who has the strength and courage to face any obstacle, and that there is one final vision Mayla must see before she is ready to become High Chieftain.
Upon entering the vision, the story of Ebyssian's birth is told, as Huln uses the Hammer of Khaz'goroth to purify a dragon egg as and the adventurer protect him from the vault's guardians. As the vision ends, Spiritwalker Ebonhorn transforms into his true form and reveals himself as Ebyssian to Mayla. Mayla is shocked at this revelation, but Ebyssian assures her that he is still the same spiritwalker she has known her entire life, before at last pronouncing her as High Chieftain.
After the adventurer departs from the Obsidian Overlook outside of the vault, Ebonhorn is not seen for the remainder of the Highmountain storyline, but later travels with and a small group of adventurers into the drogbar capital of Neltharion's Lair, where they are to put an end to Dargrul's reign and reclaim the Hammer of Khaz'goroth. After overcoming the inhabitants of the drogbar city, the heroes succeed in killing Dargrul and securing the hammer, thus ending the drogbar threat. Ebyssian commends them for their accomplishments before departing, mentioning that he has some "other family matters" that require his attention.
Joining the Horde
|This section is a lore stub.|
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Thunder Totem||100 - 110||3,365,231|
|100 - 110||4,402,500|
- Huln's War
- Secrets of Highmountain
- Allied races
- I serve the descendants of Huln.
- I knew you would come.
- I counsel the High Chieftain.
- Greetings, outsider.
- Do not stand so close, my breath is... potent.
- You have been warned.
- Don't make me burn your face off! ... I mean, greetings, traveler.
- May the ancestors watch over you.
- Spirits guide you.
- We are in luck. Had the Underking learned all of the secrets of the Hammer, we would not be having this conversation.
- For now he is like a child with a new toy. Dangerous, yes, but not as much as he will be the longer he possesses the hammer.
- My father's ancient lair. There is still power within these rocks that should not be disturbed.
- The Lost Road
- These drogbar have been tapping into abilities they should not possess. No doubt it has something to do with the latent power still lingering within these rocks.
- yells: They know we're coming now. I hope our allies can keep their main forces occupied long enough for us to complete our mission.
- Navarrogg yells: Quickly, into the barrels! I'll hold them here and join you down river!
- Spiritwalker Ebonhorn yells: No, I won't be doing that. I will find my own path and rejoin you on the other side.
- Spiritwalker Ebonhorn says: The Underking uses slaves to dig at the bones of my father?! He does not know the powers he meddles with.
- I am sorry, heroes. It appears the treasure you seek will be found on the "other" end of this beast.
- Dargrul intro
- I am sorry heroes, I must leave you now. Yet know this, I have witnessed your deeds with pride and I am sure you will not fail Highmountain in this final hour.
- Killing Dargrul
- Spiritwalker Ebonhorn yells: The hammer never chose you, Dargrul. It seeks a wielder who possesses true strength, and you were found lacking.
- Navarrogg yells: It's done, heroes. With Dargrul dead and the hammer reclaimed, the drogbar are broken. Now begins the long task of reuniting our tribes, but balance has returned to Highmountain.
- Spiritwalker Ebonhorn yells: The power of the mad king Dargrul is broken and Highmountain has you to thank, heroes. Now, there are other family matters that require my attention. Farewell, I hope when next we meet it is under more peaceful circumstances.
Notes & trivia
- If the player mounts up during , Ebonhorn will mount a pale moose. Once inside Neltharion's Vault, however, he instead rides a . When outside, if the player tries to fly, he'll mount a Highmountain Eagle, but remain grounded.
- can be fished up from the fountain in the version of Dalaran.
- Ebyssian is so far the only known dragon to use a tauren as his humanoid form.
- In the World of Warcraft: Legion alpha, was the dragon disguised as Spiritwalker Ebonhorn, and at the end of his questline he gathered time-lost black dragon eggs to raise new, uncorrupted black dragons. In later builds he was replaced as Ebonhorn by Ebyssian and the questline was rewritten.
- While Ebyssian hatched from an egg in Neltharion's Vault and refers to Neltharion's Lair as "his father's lair", he also mentions the drogbar digging at "the bones of [his] father" in the latter, even though was killed at the Maelstrom in an explosion. It should be noted that Wrathion, who also calls Deathwing his father, is not Deathwing's literal son either.
- That would mean that his father was an unnamed black dragon that died in the Lair, as it is unlikely there would be any Deathwing's bones given how he died. It is also possible that he was not being literal.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.