Stables are the places were various animals are bred and trained, to serve as mounts, beasts of burden or even sources of food. Stables can be found mostly in human, Forsaken and dwarven lands, as the orcs are often raising their wolf mounts in kennels instead, but that is not always true. Some stables are part of larger ranches.
This section concerns content related to Warcraft: Orcs & Humans.
- Main article: Stables (WC1 Human)
The care and feeding of the Knight's mount was the main concern of this site. Horses were specially bred and trained here to be more effective for use in combat. By making them faster, stronger, and more responsive to their rider's commands, the stable served as a link between warrior and steed. The stables had to be supplied with riding bits, stirrups, shoes, and horse armor for their training and outfitting - so one could not build a stable without the aid of a blacksmith.
- Main article: Stables (Warcraft II)
Stables were maintained to breed and house Lordaeron's prized warhorses. Determined to condition the horses to be faster, stronger, and more responsive to their riders, the trainers at these sites took great pride in their work. These brave and loyal stallions carried Knights into battle, and contributed precious fertilizer for the bountiful farms about Lordaeron. The Stables were manned by dependable horsemen and stable-hands who tended to the steeds with great devotion.
Their function was replaced by the castles, which housed their own stables.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
Stables as buildings can be found all throughout Azeroth, Outland and Draenor in many varied forms. They can be integrated into larger structures, like in Shadowfang Keep or Karazhan. Even most farms will have a barn where horses and other livestock can be put.
Here are some examples of places with notable stables:
- Brill - Tirisfal Glades (where players can buy skeletal horse mounts)
- Balnir Farmstead - Tirisfal Glades
- Amberstill Ranch - Dun Morogh (where players can buy ram mounts)
- Eastvale Logging Camp - Elwynn Forest (where players can buy horse mounts)
- Stromgarde Keep - Arathi Highlands
- Stables - Arathi Basin
- Frostwolf Village - Alterac Valley
- Dun Baldar - Alterac Valley
- Thuron's Livery - Eversong Woods (where players can buy hawkstrider mounts)
- Livery Stables - Karazhan
- Havenshire Stables - Plaguelands: The Scarlet Enclave
- Argent Tournament Grounds - Icecrown
- Crowley Stable Grounds - Gilneas