Stoneskin Gargoyle Cape
The flavor text of this item refers to a meme that originated on Thottbot.
The user "Breadman" posted the following comment:
- "This dropped for me yesterday in Strat, it looks pretty cool too. It's white and looks longer than your average cloak or cape."
The first response was by Fataleuphemism, who stated " im considering buying this cape in the AH. if only i new its length and color....".
This one comment created a flood of similar messages, each mimicking Breadman's original comment in differing manners. The joke is known to have caused at least one thread on the official World of Warcraft forums, as well as inspiring averagecape.ytmnd.com shortly afterward. The phenomenon works by humorously replacing the adjectives in the original flavor text with other qualities found on an item (or anything else, for that matter) when referring to that item. For example, one may refer to a weapon known for being fancy by saying something like "it's gray and fancier than your average weapon".
It has since then been acknowledged by Blizzard, and since Patch 2.4.3 the cape has the flavor text "It's white and looks longer than your average cloak or cape." Another cape, the added in Patch 3.3.0, further humorously refers to the "original" Stoneskin Gargoyle Cape with the flavor text "Even longer than your average cloak or cape."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Stats squished.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12):
- Item level reduced from 61 to 53.
- Strength replaced by Haste rating.
- Patch 2.4.3 (2008-07-15): Flavor text added.
- ^ Thottbot > Comments > Items > Stoneskin Gargoyle Cape (2005-02-01). Archived from the original on 2010-09-01. Retrieved on 2013-01-14.