Havi described the storm dragons as being "born of the gods". Long ago, the Thorignir brood of storm dragons swore fealty to the titan keepers. The great Nithogg did not agree with that decision and refused to be their subject, believing that one day he would be more powerful than even the keepers. Instead, he took up roost in the mountain Nastrondir, where he raised his brood and terrorized the nearby lands. Hakkap One-leg was the first vrykul who learned to tame the storm drakes of Stormheim. Storm dragons play a large role in the Stormheim storyline.
The storm dragons of Stormheim are associated with thunder and lightning. They are as intelligent as the other, more well-known dragons encountered so far. Most, if not all, storm dragons appear to be capable of speech and the Thorignir brood presides over the Trial of Will to determine the worth of those who seek the Aegis of Aggramar. Storm dragons normally live in colonies. Storm dragon whelplings hunger for the flesh of animals, but the young ones cannot stomach it raw. Cooking the meat from their corpses with lightning allows the whelps to consume it.
There are several identified broods of storm dragons within Stormheim:
- The Thorignir under Thrymjaris, allied with Odyn and protecting Stormheim
- The brood of Nithogg who terrorize the nearby lands.
- The Skysunders which were once storm drakes of great honor, charged with the protection of Shield's Rest. Now they have fallen into the madness of Helya's dark magics.
As a companion pet
As a mount
- is a rare reward from , the paragon reward of the Valarjar.
Notes and trivia
- Fighting storm dragons with a metal hammer has its risks.
- The lightning breath of a storm drake can create dragon glass crystals.
- Green storm drakes can be observed flying among the mountains on the planet Elunaria.
- Daeris, Halgir, Skalfir, and Slepnar didn't make it past Legion beta.
- At BlizzCon 2015, the storm dragons were described as "a fledgling new dragonflight". However, this idea seems to have been abandoned as the storm dragons are implied to have existed since ancient times and they are never referred to as a dragonflight in-game.
The description of the says that it is a "native" dragon species. That and the fact that the Thorignir brood swore fealty to the titan keepers may imply that the storm drakes existed before that some of the elementals who avoided imprisonment eventually transformed into proto-dragons.
A juvenile storm drake in Hearthstone.
- ^ a b c Blizzcon 2015 - World of Warcraft Legion - World and Content Overview. YouTube (2016-02-24). Retrieved on 2018-08-03. “And now, we're also gonna introduce you to a fledgling new dragonflight known as the storm dragons, and the storm dragons make their lairs and their homes within the mountain peaks of both Stormheim and Suramar.”
- ^ Nithogg#Adventure Guide
- ^ Hakkap One-leg (object)