Stormwind Harbor is a large port and shipyard, consisting of a series of wharfs, dry docks, and fortifications located in the northwestern area of Stormwind City, with the access point set between the Park and Cathedral Square districts. The harbor serves as a major strategic base for both the Kingdom of Stormwind and the Alliance. Here, many Alliance warships are constructed and fleets assembled; it is likely the largest and most important Alliance naval base in the Great Sea and potentially beyond. From a civilian perspective, transport ships regularly sail from the harbor to numerous other destinations across Azeroth, such as Rut'theran Village in Kalimdor, and Valiance Keep in Northrend.
The harbor is heavily fortified to protect against attack, presumably by the Horde, whose navy is also known to operate off the western coast of the Eastern Kingdoms. To this end, there are numerous tiered plateaus leading from the harbor up to the city proper, upon which are stationed articles of heavy artillery in the form of cannons (whether on the ground or mounted in towers). Additionally, on the harbor's lower tiers, numerous ballistae and steam tanks can be found aimed out to sea.
- 1 History
- 2 Features
- 3 Travel connections
- 4 Points of interest
- 5 Inhabitants
- 6 Notes and trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Stormwind Harbor was in existence at least by the time of the First War. When the Old Horde sacked the city, Anduin Lothar covered the survivors' retreat to the harbor, from where they set sail for Lordaeron, destroying most of the remaining boats to prevent the Horde from following them.
Immediately proceeding the commencement of the War against the Lich King, Stormwind Harbor was preemptively attacked by Scourge forces, including Frost wyrms and abominations. The Alliance command, including King Varian Wrynn and Highlord Bolvar Fordragon, was set up on top of the harbor's walls, overlooking the battle below. The units consisted of members of the Stormwind Harbor Guards.
|This section is a lore stub.|
Tides of War
Following the annihilation of Theramore at the hands of Warchief Garrosh Hellscream and the Horde, a large Alliance fleet under the command of King Varian Wrynn set sail from Stormwind Harbor with the intention of launching an assault on the orc city of Orgrimmar in response.
Following the conclusion of the battle and the subsequent destruction of much of the fleet, it is revealed that a new armada is under construction in the harbor, the designers utilizing new and improved techniques to ensure the new ships are even better than before.
Siege of Orgrimmar
During the final battle with Garrosh Hellscream in the Siege of Orgrimmar (on heroic mode), the Heart of Y'Shaarj notably transported Garrosh's adversaries to Stormwind Harbor. This version of the harbor, however, proved to be one in a dystopian future, where the True Horde has succeeded in overwhelming all opposition, with Stormwind and its harbor in ruins.
Similarly, the also grants a vision of the ruined harbor in a possible future. Whether this is the same future as the one presented by the Heart of Y'shaarj is unclear, however, in both visions of Stormwind Harbor, the Alliance and Horde leaders who stood against Garrosh and his True Horde can be seen impaled upon spikes mounted on the seawall.
Stormwind Harbor is the launching point for the Alliance forces sent to attack the Broken Shore. Accepting puts the player into a phased version of the harbor, where the weather is always rainy and gloomy. Ships, soldiers, siege weapons and flying machines are being prepared by all the races of the Alliance. Several things can be seen there:
- Alliance Recruits engaging in a variety of things, like sleeping, training, reading books or enjoying the last meal before the assault on the Broken Shore. A platoon of them salutes the adventurer as they go to their ship.
- Recruiter Lee, Recruiter Barker and Recruiter Gearburns handling the flow of volunteers looking to join the army.
- Officer Carven and Officer Blythe, promoted from the days of the war against the Lich King and discussing the whereabouts of the third fleet.
- Gnome engineers working on Gnomeregan Gyrocopters.
- Many followers from Lunarfall, such as Archibald Arlison, are present. Several are dueling at the sparring ring. Sergeant Crowler was also there, watching over the followers.
- A lecture under the guidance of Matthew Deyling about the various demons of the Burning Legion. Milton Sheaf nearby came with tomes and scrolls from the Royal Library, which he lent to the recruits willing to know about the strengths and weaknesses of the Legion.
- Some vendors have come down from the city to sell to the troops. Rebecca Laughlin is selling her tabards and Owen Vaughn reagents. Lenny "Fingers" McCoy, thus far standing around idly in the Old Town, is now trying to con recruits with his "lucky charms".
- Len-Shu, Su-Lai Snowpetal and Haomi preparing a banquet of dumplings, baked fish, fried rice, ribs, baked fowl and grilled fish for the recruits. All three used to be available as followers for both sides in WoD, come Legion, they seem to have sided with the Alliance.
- The humongous DX-9000 Spider Tank "Legionkiller".
- Loranea, Voraatios the Benedictive and Bemora with their Light-Infused Crystals from the Exodar, which were used to enhance the weapons of those going to fight the demons.
- Alasdair Whitepeak, Brother Zuo, Kinndy Brightsocket and Doc Lightspanner working on blessing bandages for the front. Interestingly, Brother Zuo used to be a Horde follower at Frostwall.
- Gussof Forgefire and Tasha Highfoot preparing high-quality armor polish for the troops.
- Thurgrum Deepforge and his Ironforge Blastsmiths delivering cannons and cannonballs forged at the Great Forge to Clavicus Knavingham, Stormwind quartermaster.
- Duke August Foehammer and a platoon of 7th Legion Submariners.
- Captain Angelica (and her First Mate Tidesong)'s battleship. Knight Dameron, ex-Wintergrasp quartermaster, is standing by the ship.
Battle for Azeroth
Please add any available information to this section.
After the Burning of Teldrassil, many night elf and worgen refugees found haven in Stormwind and can be found on and near the northern dock. The ship to Rut'theran Village was retired, with a new ship to Boralus in Kul Tiras taking its place.
After the Alliance captured Princess Talanji and Prophet Zul of the Zandalari Empire, Talanji's ship was placed within the harbor. Thus, when the Horde led a strike team into the city to rescue the captured Zandalari, they would make haste to docks. En route, they clashed with Alliance soldiers who were returning from the Battle for Lordaeron before ultimately being confronted by Jaina Proudmoore. However, before a battle could commence, Zul revealed that he set Stormwind aflame. With Stormwind burning, Jaina rushed to join efforts in putting out the fires, while the Horde and Zandalari were able to make way to Talanji's ship and escape to Zuldazar. Despite this, six Alliance ships followed them, but only one returned as the others were destroyed by the Golden Fleet.
As the war progressed, many deceased Alliance soldiers were laid here.
A short distance from the mainland, northwest of the harbor itself, sits the lighthouse. Naturally, the lighthouse serves to guide the many ships into the harbor using its powerful light which is perpetually shining. The lighthouse is one of the key features of the harbor and is visible from almost all areas of it.
Stormwind Harbor contains several wharfs and jetties protruding into the bay. It is from these that the ships entering and leaving the harbor dock and launch from. The wharfs serve both a civilian and military function, as vessels associated with both are known to regularly make use of them. Notably, the southernmost dock appears to be both operated and guarded by Darnassus, it serving as the link between the human and night elf capitals.
The contents behind the large gate in the harbor, which is located on its northern face, is currently unknown. Due to the similarity it shares with hangers, it is possible that it is used to build or house Alliance gunships. This is also supported by the fact that there are currently no known locations where these airships are made, despite the Alliance possessing at least several of them. Whatever is truly behind the gate, it must be of some great import or value, judging by its impressive security.
The harbor is also home to a set of dry docks. These docks are responsible for the creation and maintenance of warships in the Alliance navy and can be found in the harbor's northwest, near to the lighthouse. The docks appear to be currently specializing in dealing with the powerful Icebreaker class of destroyers, which were first used in the campaign in Northrend.
As part of the harbor's potent defenses, a fortress is located at the highest tier, with a commanding view of the entire port. it is located on the edge of the Stormwind City Cemetery and boasts a range of cannons protruding from its interior. Similar to the other fortifications, the fortress' primary function appears to be to ward off any assault on the harbor - or the city - from the sea, although it may also function as a guardhouse for the harbor guards.
- Rut'theran Village from southern dock (before Burning of Teldrassil)
- Boralus from southern dock (after Burning of Teldrassil)
- Valiance Keep from northern dock
Note: During the quest , the boat to Valiance Keep is phased out and inaccessible, replaced with the mercenary ship going to Vashj'ir. If you need a ride to Valiance Keep, either complete the Vashj'ir quest first or abandon it and reaccept it later.
Points of interest
- The Assurance (Repair, General Goods, Reagents, Food & Drink)
Excludes The Assurance.
(Night elf dock)
- Sheldras Moontree <Druid Trainer>
- Nambria <Earthen Ring>
- Thargold Ironwing
- Stormwind Dock Worker
- Steam Tank Engineer
- Fargo Flintlocke
- Steven Allen
- Supply Sergeant Graves
- Recruiter Burns
- Argos Nightwhisper
- Perrin Moontear
- Aron Kyleson <Dockmaster>
- Leesha Tannerby <Dockmaster>
Notes and trivia
- The Crustacean sailed from Gadgetzan to the Harbor every week. At some point after the Cataclysm, it was destroyed by Malus and his Hidden.
- Stormwind City is the only capital city containing a harbor within the city boundaries; sea access to Darnassus is through Rut'theran Village, which is not located within the city itself. Stormwind is also the only capital city with an open waterfront within its city boundaries.
- Approximately every half hour, a Prisoner disembarks from The Bravery and is escorted by four Stormwind City Guards to the Stormwind Stockade.
- Thargold Ironwing offers a free scenic gryphon tour around the harbor.
- The gatehouse granting access to the harbor was built by human, dwarven, and gnomish construction workers all under the supervision of Foreman Wick.
- The waters around the harbor are home to Bluetip Threshers, which are known to attack any who enter the bay.
- Greydon Thorne and Ceya Northbrooke first met here more than 12 years before the Cataclysm.
- Steven Allen is stationed behind the boats, and is taking a day off after his big work on the Stormwind Harbor, because he technically made it. Steven Allen is a Senior 3D Artist at Blizzard Entertainment who designed the harbor.
In Lost Honor.
The harbor before the assault on the Broken Shore.
Followers dueling before departure.
Third fleet about to depart.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): The Auberdine boat now goes to Rut'theran Village.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.