- For Stormwind Keep's Warcraft: Orcs & Humans statistics, see Stormwind (WC1 Human). For the Warcraft: Orcs & Humans Orc campaign mission of the same name, see Stormwind Keep (WC1 Orc).
Northeastern Stormwind City
The mighty Stormwind Keep (also called Stonewind Keep, Castle Stormwind, stronghold of Stormwind, Stormwind Castle, and after its reconstruction sometimes referred as Castle of New Stormwind) is the seat of power of the human kingdom of Stormwind. This keep is the residence of the Stormwindian kings, currently King Anduin Wrynn. It also houses the extensive Royal Library where nobles and scholars from across the known world research various topics. Some of the nobles of the kingdom are also here.
|This section is a lore stub.|
This section concerns content related to Warcraft: Orcs & Humans.
World of Warcraft
In its throne room, Katrana Prestor was revealed as Onyxia.
During the Burning Legion's third invasion, the keep was infiltrated several times. First, demons disguised themselves as soldiers in the funeral ceremony for Varian Wrynn when the Alliance leaders gathered. They were exposed by their new allies, the Illidari. A nathrezim, disguised as a soldier, tried to assassinate Anduin Wrynn. Later, the city was under martial law, with the keep being extra guarded. It was, however, infiltrated by the Veiled Hand, as well as the Uncrowned who ultimately stopped the demon cult. The center of the throne room had a big demonic rune painted on the floor, and the garden had a demonic portal summoned by the traitor Melris Malagan.
Areas of Stormwind Keep
- Petitioner's Chamber - First right as you enter the keep.
- Garden - First left as you go down main hall of the keep.
- Throne room - At the end of the main hall.
- War Room - First door, straight ahead through the throne room from the main hall.
In the RPG
The mighty Stormwind Keep (or Stormwind castle) sits watch over Stormwind atop the cliffs north of the city. Brann Bronzebeard helped construct this fine building. It houses the King himself and many of the city's nobles. It was designed with the thought of another invasion in mind: if the city fell to an army vaster than it could handle, the keep itself becomes a means of escape, with several secret tunnels entombed deep within the rock.
Notes and trivia
- The map for Warcraft: Orcs & Humans shows Stormwind Keep as Stonewind Keep. Within the game it is called Stormwind Keep or Castle Stormwind.
- In Cataclysm, Stormwind Keep was entirely remodeled, inside, as well as outside. The path leading to the throne room is now open air and redesigned, complete with a grand walkway and a fountain. The throne room was redesigned too and the garden area before the Library now has a view overlooking the Stormwind Lake. Genn Greymane was also added to Stormwind Keep after the fall of Gilneas.
- Stormwind Keep has a dirigible mooring.
- Valeera Sanguinar knows how to infiltrate it.
- At one point, Velen called it a palace.
- The music played in Stormwind Keep is also played in the High Seat in Ironforge.
- The blog Movoto has done evaluations of Stormwind Keep to try and determine how big it is, what's its real-world equivalent location is and how much it would cost to purchase, based on the previous two factors. The answers, in brief, to those three questions are: 47,219 square feet, Caernarfon Castle, Gwynedd, Wales, and US $10,293,472 ($218 per square foot), respectively.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Redesigned.
- ^ Warcraft: Orcs & Humans manual, Chronicles of the War in Azeroth, 577
- ^ a b c Stormwind Keep (WC1 Orc)
- ^ File:Warcraft I - Map of Azeroth.jpg
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, The History of Orcish Ascension, The Mastery of Forces - Medivh and Blackhand
- ^ The Last Guardian, pg. 126, 268
- ^ Grubb, Jeff. The Last Guardian, 129, 133, 141, 148, 166, 186, 192. ISBN 978-0-6710-4151-9.
- ^ The Seas of Azeroth (WC2 Orc)
- ^ Alleria's Journey (WC2 Human)
- ^ New Stormwind (WC2 Orc)
- ^ Anduin: Son of the Wolf
- ^ Alliance Player's Guide, pg. 160
- ^ Lands of Conflict, pg. 54
- ^ Last of the Line
- ^ Before the Storm
- ^ World of Warcraft’s Stormwind Keep For Sale at the Auction House