- For Stormwind Keep's Warcraft: Orcs & Humans statistics, see Stormwind (WC1 Human). For the Warcraft: Orcs & Humans Orc campaign mission of the same name, see Stormwind Keep (WC1 Orc).
The mighty Stormwind Keep (also called Stonewind Keep, Castle Stormwind, stronghold of Stormwind, Stormwind Castle, and after its reconstruction sometimes referred as Castle of New Stormwind) is the seat of power of the human kingdom of Stormwind. The residence of kings of Stormwinds, currently King , the keep also houses the extensive Royal Library where nobles and scholars from across the known world research various topics. Whispers of corruption and infiltration among the higher echelons of Stormwind's power have recently arisen, although none dare speak too loudly of these accusations out of fear of imprisonment.
First WarThis section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft: Orcs & Humans.
Second WarThis section concerns content exclusive to Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness or its expansion Beyond the Dark Portal.
In the RPGThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft RPG and is considered non-canon.
Stormwind castle sits watch over Stormwind atop the cliffs north of the city. It houses the king himself and many of the city's nobles. It was designed with the thought of another invasion in mind: if the city fell to an army vaster than it could handle, the keep itself would become a means of escape, with several secret tunnels entombed deep within the rock.
Areas in Stormwind Keep
- Petitioner's Chamber - First right as you enter the keep.
- Garden - First left as you go down main hall of the keep.
- Throne Room - At the end of the main hall.
- War Room - First door, straight ahead through the Throne Room from the main hall.
- Royal Guard Room? - Left door (somewhat behind you) from the Throne Room as you enter.
- Royal Chapel? - Right door (somewhat behind you) from the Throne Room as you enter.
Notes & trivia
- The map for Warcraft: Orcs & Humans shows Stormwind Keep as Stonewind Keep. Within the game it is called Stormwind Keep or Castle Stormwind.
- The music played in Stormwind Keep is also played in the High Seat in Ironforge.
- The blog Movoto has done evaluations of Stormwind Keep to try and determine how big it is, what's its real world equivalent location is and how much it would cost to purchase, based on the previous two factors. The answers, in brief, to those three questions are: 47,219 square feet, Caernarfon Castle, Gwynedd, Wales, and US $10,293,472 ($218 per square foot), respectively.
- In Cataclysm, Stormwind Keep was entirely remodeled, inside, as well as outside. The path leading to the throne room is now open air and redesigned, complete with a grand walkway and a fountain. The throne room was redesigned too and the garden area before the Library now has a view overlooking the Stormwind Lake. was also added to Stormwind Keep after the fall of Gilneas.
Film universeThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft film universe.
- ^ Warcraft: Orcs & Humans manual, Chronicles of the War in Azeroth, 577
- ^ a b c Stormwind Keep (WC1 Orc)
- ^ File:Warcraft I - Map of Azeroth.jpg
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, The History of Orcish Ascension, The Mastery of Forces - Medivh and Blackhand
- ^ The Last Guardian, pg. 126, 268
- ^ Grubb, Jeff. The Last Guardian, 129, 133, 141, 148, 166, 186, 192. ISBN 978-0-6710-4151-9.
- ^ The Seas of Azeroth (WC2 Orc)
- ^ Alleria's Journey (WC2 Human)
- ^ New Stormwind (WC2 Orc)
- ^ Alliance Player's Guide, pg. 160
- ^ Arthaus. Lands of Conflict, 54. ISBN 9781588469601.
- ^ World of Warcraft’s Stormwind Keep For Sale at the Auction House