Strength of Soul (priest ability)
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 6.0.2.
|Strength of Soul|
, , , Weakened Soul
Strength of Soul was a passive specialization ability for Discipline priests, available at level 52. It caused the priest's , and to reduce the duration of any Weakened Soul debuff on the target by 2 seconds.
- The reduction to the duration of the Weakened Soul debuff is cumulative; each eligible cast will reduce it by a further 2 seconds.
- Strength of Soul allows you to reduce the duration of the target's Weakened Soul debuff even if it was caused by another priest's Power Word: Shield.
- Since the Weakened Soul debuff normally lasts for 15 seconds, even a single proc of this effect can reduce the time between uses of upon the target by around 15%, allowing priests to shield their targets far more often.
- There are a number of reasons for Discipline priests to shield targets as much as possible, including , and pushback and daze prevention. Power Word: Shield also offers Discipline priests excellent mana efficiency and is arguably the fastest and most powerful protective spell available to a Discipline priest. As an instant cast spell, Power Word: Shield can be cast while running, and cannot be interrupted or delayed by pushback. Also, as a preventative form of damage mitigation - as opposed to reactive healing - shielding is far more reliable and desirable in critical moments and PvP. By allowing the priest to shield more often, all of these aspects of the priest's performance can be improved.
Tips and tactics
- With Strength of Soul's potential reduction to the Weakened Soul debuff, it is only necessary to cast at most 5 eligible heals on a target before it becomes possible to immediately shield them again. This allows priests to use far more often.
- In emergency situations, by chain-casting Flash Heal on the target the priest can therefore use Power Word: Shield every 6-7.5 seconds (depending on haste) , instead of every 15 seconds. Since Power Word: Shield's absorb is far larger than the healing provided by , in periods of heavy damage this can allow the priest to outstrip incoming damage, making the difference between victory and a wipe. It also allows the priest to save mana and benefit from . When pushback is a factor, Power Word: Shield is even more advantageous.
- This is even more beneficial when the priest is the target in need of healing, due to Power Word: Shield's pushback protection. Priests can also run while casting Power Word: Shield, and will not be dazed while shielded.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Removed.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer causes the priest to become immune to Silence, Interrupt and Dispel effects for 5 sec when casting Inner Focus.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): It is now possible to remove Weakened Soul effects that were a result of another priest's Power Word: Shield through Strength of Soul.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Now occurs when the priest casts on oneself, rather than Power Word: Shield. In addition, Strength of Soul now also causes the priest to become immune to silence, interrupt, and dispel effects for 2/4 seconds after using Inner Focus.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.