Subjugate Demon is a level 21 warlock spell which allows the caster to temporarily gain control of a demon type creature. The spell can be used to control various mobs. Only one demon can be controlled at any one time.
The demon can be released by right clicking on its character portrait and clicking "Dismiss". Please note this just frees it: it does not 'de-summon' it like your regular minions. You will still have to fight it.
In instance situations, it's considered good etiquette to release your subjugated demon between fights, warning your party first of course. This will prevent it from freeing itself during the next fight and becoming an add.
Like , subjugating generates a large amount of aggro towards the caster. It's a good idea to set your new minion to Passive and put some distance between you and it if you're going to manually release it.
A good way to get rid of an subjugated demon is to order it to stay and run away. The demon will be dismissed but you will be far enough from it for it to simply despawn without attacking you. Another way is to dismiss it, banish it, and then run away.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Renamed from Enslave Demon. Now learned at level 21.
- Hotfix (2016-10-26): "Enslave Demon can correctly target enemies up to one level above the caster."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer reduces the enslaved demon's haste.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): There is no longer a penalty for repeatedly enslaving the same Demon. Spell haste penalty reduced by 10%. Melee haste penalty reduced by 10%.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22):
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): Due to haste effect change, the tooltip has been changed to 40%.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): No longer dispellable.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Can no longer be cast on tapped targets.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07):
- Once again requires a soul shard
- Increased the chance of breaking early if cast repeatedly on the same target.
- Removed facing requirement.
- Patch 0.12 (2004-10-11): Soul Shard cost removed, duration reduced.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15):
- Soul Shard cost added.
- Periodic resistance chances.
- Maximum target level added.
- Now slows the charmed creature's attack and casting speeds.