While active, the gargoyle will chain-cast Gargoyle Strike at its enemy, a 2 second cast that deals plague damage.
The gargoyle could once be changed into a Val'kyr through the talent.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): No longer a baseline Unholy ability. Now a Level 100 Unholy talent. Duration reduced to 30 seconds (down from 40). Additionally, the Gargoyle now deals additional damage based on runic power spent.
- Hotfix (2017-02-21): "Summon Gargoyle-- Gargoyle Strike damage increased 50%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now lasts for 40 seconds, up from 30.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): No longer costs Runic Power (was 60). Gargoyle now deals Plague damage instead of Nature.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer a talent. Now available as an Unholy specialization ability.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): The gargoyle called by Summon Gargoyle should exclusively use its ranged attack regardless of range to the target. Additionally, gargoyles should now properly inherit their master’s crit and spell penetration stats.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): New icon.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04):
- The gargoyle now flies lower to the ground, making it susceptible to melee attacks. This ability now has a fixed duration of 30 seconds and a fixed cost of 60 runic power.
- Corrected the inaccurate tooltip which claimed a Gargoyle could last up to 40 seconds, when in fact 30 seconds has always been the maximum.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14):
- Swapped places with in the Unholy tree. is the new Unholy 51-point talent (previously 25-point).
- The Gargoyle will no longer re-attack rogues after they , or night elves who use . Monsters will stop trying to chase a Gargoyle after it flies away. The debuff on the target indicating he or she is being pursued by a Gargoyle will no longer display the duration, and will be removed when the buff is removed from the death knight. Max duration in the tooltip changed to 40 seconds.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Damage dealt by the Gargoyle reduced by approximately 20% and maximum duration cut to 30 seconds (was up to 1 minute).
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.