|Sunwell Plateau loading graphic|
- Main article: Sunwell
Nearly seven thousand years ago, the Highborne were exiled from Kalimdor for refusing to give up arcane magic. Led by , these elves founded their own kingdom of Quel'Thalas. For millennia the mystical pool of energy known as the Sunwell fueled the potent magic of the exiled high elves. Now, the remnants of this ancient fountain have become the Burning Legion's latest target as the demons prepare to summon their commander, , with the Sunwell's energy.
Heroes from Shattrath City have joined under the banner of the Shattered Sun Offensive, endeavoring to crush the Legion's invasion before it becomes insurmountable. More combatants join the Offensive every day, but the might of the Legion cannot be easily suppressed. Fierce demonic servants guard the Sunwell Plateau, attacking anyone who interferes with their proceedings. As the time of Kil'jaeden's arrival draws near, Azeroth's heroes have one final chance to save their world from blistering devastation.
The instance contains both outdoor areas and building interiors, where players will find captured naaru, which are the primary power source of the town, and inside the final building the Sunwell itself.
|Agamath, the First Gate|
|Rohendor, the Second Gate|
|Archonisus, the Final Gate|
- Main article: Sunwell Plateau loot
The Sunwell Plateau is tuned for Tier 6-geared players and the gear that drops from the first three bosses are additional Tier 6 items (boots, belt and bracers), and non-set epics as well.
The instance was open to players right from the start of patch 2.4, but the last 3 bosses were only available as each gate - which blocked the next boss encounter - opened over a set period of time on all servers. (Although this happened on maintenance day, so the US had an apparent one day advantage over the EU servers) The first gate was opened on 8 April 2008 in the US, two weeks after the patch went live. The second gate opened after weekly maintenance on April 29, 2008. The third and final gate was opened on May 20, 2008 on US realms. The difficulty of the instance was set at the first 3 bosses being on par with Tier 6 encounters, and then the last three and increasing from each.
The Sunwell - Nightborne scenario
- Nearly every mob in the instance has the Sunwell Radiance buff, increasing melee hit by 5% and reducing opposing chance to dodge by 20%.
- A scripted event will occur after Kil'jaeden's defeat.
- There is a Scrying Orb found on a balcony in the Magisters' Terrace past the second boss that gives a sneak peak of the nearby Sunwell Plateau raid.
- See also Sunwell Plateau guild progression.
- The architecture of the Sunwell Plateau is comparable to that of Silvermoon City.
- Before Wrath of the Lich King came out, less than one percent of the playerbase actually experienced Sunwell.
PTR loading screen, with Wrath of the Lich King watermark.
The balcony overlooking the Dead Scar
The Shrine of the Eclipse, overlooking the Sunwell
The Sunwell, as seen from the Scrying Orb in the Magisters' Terrace
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2013-10-29): "Resolved an issue for players soloing the encounter that could cause Sathrovarr the Corruptor to not award any loot."
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Added.