Surwich is a Gilnean-controlled Alliance port and fishing village in the Blasted Lands. Most of its citizens came to the area following the dream of an idealistic druid named Marl Wormthorn. Wormthorn believed that the Tainted Scar could be healed, and attempted to grow it back. The attempt succeeded, but it also lured the majority of demons still present in the scar into his now twisted tree, Maldraz.
Surwich is found within the Tainted Forest, where once the Tainted Scar was present. Through the efforts of Marl Wormthorn, the forest of this area was restored. In the process, however, he attracted demons who corrupted him, twisting the druid's mind and making him an unfortunate slave to the demons of the area.
- Maurice Essman <Blacksmithing Supplies>
- Stephan Kebbel <Fishing Supplies>
- Willard C. Bennington <Stable Master>
- Donna Berrymore <Innkeeper>
- Graham McAllister <Hippogryph Master>
- Despite having been one of the first Gilnean towns showcased for Cataclysm, prior to patch 4.3.2., Surwich's NPCs used the Stormwind human voices (used as placeholders while Gilnean voices were set up in the Beta). This did not include the Surwich Wardens, which were added in 4.0.6. after developers forgot to include guards for the town.
- Surwich was the only populated Gilnean town outside of Gilneas itself that used the Gilnean building architecture, until Legion added the village of Bradensbrook in Val'sharah - Talonbranch Glade and Raven Hill use Gilnean props, but not buildings; Farwatcher's Glen, despite being mostly Gilnean, uses night elven architecture.
- Surwich was known for being an easy spot for Horde players to grief. Prior to patch 4.0.6, the town had no guards. Even after the patch, only one guard would spawn that was afflicted by an odd bug where it takes anywhere from thirty seconds to several minutes to even appear. This was fixed as well, and many guards will now spawn as expected.
- Surwich, for a time, was entirely empty after the Ironmarch invasion from the Dark Portal. This was changed at an unknown point and is now the only Alliance friendly town in the zone within the phase.
- This town could be named after the town of "Dunwich" from the writings of H. P. Lovecraft. They both seem to have a problem with corruption of some kind; for Dunwich it was corruption via the Elder Ones, while Surwich has an obvious problem with demons.
- Patch 4.3.2 (2012-01-31): All NPCs now use the correct Gilnean voices.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Guards added. Mailbox added.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.