Swords come in one-handed and two-handed edged weapon varieties, usually in the form of a long, narrow blade with a short handle or hilt. Some swords have one primary edge, some have broader blades, and even others have longer hilts, but all generally rely on the ability to slash an opponent with only occasional piercing attacks.
One-handed weapons generate less damage per second and fewer bonuses than their two-handed counterparts of the same level.
One- and two-handed Swords can be wielded by death knights, paladins and warriors. One-handed swords can also be wielded by mages, monks, rogues and warlocks. Hunters can wield swords, but are unable to use ranged attacks when wielding them.
Humans have which increases Expertise.
- Significant swords
- Ashbringer, the legendary blade of and .
- , the weapon of .
- and , the legendary weapon set consisting of two swords, wielded by .
- Great Royal Sword of , that was broken by the Doomhammer.
- , speculated to be another weapon of Anduin Lothar.
- , apparently stolen by Arthas and corrupted.
- , an ancient Night elven sword.
- , the reforged blade of Quel'Thalas. Obtained via a quest given by the .
- Shalla'tor and Ellemayne, a pair of Night elf swords forged during the War of the Ancients. Accidently fused together in modern times, creating Shalamayne. Now the weapon of .
- , the two-handed sword dropped off of Rajaxx in Ahn'Qiraj