A Tabard refers to a type of clothing bearing a symbol or design and worn in the tabard equipment slot over a character's chest armor. Originally a purely cosmetic item intended to add individuality to a character's look, similar to a shirt, they now often signal an adventurer is championing a cause and thus offer reputation for wearing one in a dungeon.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Reputation
- 3 Tabard vendors
- 4 Guild tabards
- 5 Honor rank tabards
- 6 Battleground tabards
- 7 Arena tabards
- 8 Other tabards
- 9 Past event tabards
- 10 The Burning Crusade tabards
- 11 Wrath of the Lich King tabards
- 12 Cataclysm tabards
- 13 Mists of Pandaria tabards
- 14 Warlords of Draenor tabards
- 15 Unobtainable tabards
- 16 References
- 17 External links
Historically, a tabard serves both as a sleeveless shirt or coat (often over armor), and as a means of displaying heraldry (as livery). For players, it can show membership in a guild or (for roleplay purposes) allegiance to a particular group, boast of deeds performed, or simply be decorative.
The only tabard available to players upon the release of World of Warcraft was the guild tabard. The release of battlegrounds and the honor system saw a variety of new tabards introduced, identifying a player's rank or standing with a particular battleground faction. The Scourge Invasion also added a small number of tabards. In World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, each faction in Outland was given its own tabard, available at exalted status. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King continues this trend, but has lower (or no) reputation requirements and instead utilizes faction tabards in a system known as championing for farming reputation.
Patch 3.0.2 introduced the achievement system, which includes rewards for tabard collectors. The following general achievements are granted for obtaining 1, 10, 25 and 30 tabards respectively: , , and , with the Twenty-Five Tabards achievement granting the . Blizzard has voiced a desire to alleviate the amount of bag space taken up by tabards as has been done with mount and non-combat pet collections (which grant similar achievements), but has said that tabards with on-use effects are an issue. However, keeping tabards is not required for the achievement; only equipping them. You can equip and sell or delete each tabard as you get it, and it will still count toward the achievement. Some tabards can be discarded and repurchased or reacquired at a tabard vendor. These generally include rewards from non-repeatable quests and achievements (such as the ).
Throughout The Burning Crusade, tabards were ways to exhibit the fact that you had achieved Exalted reputation with the various factions. When Wrath of the Lich King was released, tabards changed modes. The Northrend faction tabards were purchasable at Friendly reputation and enabled players to gain reputation while defeating monsters in high-level dungeons.
Northrend faction tabards award reputation while defeating monsters in Northrend heroic-mode dungeons and a few normal dungeons that had been tuned for level 80 characters.
In Cataclysm, the city tabards that had been introduced with the Argent Tournament were given reputation-enhancing abilities as well. The various factions introduced with Cataclysm also had tabards which could be used to gain reputation by defeating monsters in high-level Cataclysm dungeons.
There are, generally, two types of vendor that tabards can be purchased from.
Tabards associated with a faction are almost always available from the Quartermasters for that faction.
Visitor's Centers in most major cities have tabard vendors who sell Guild tabards. They also sell:
- Burning Crusade faction tabards
- Honor rank tabards
- Battleground tabards
These additional tabards have the same purchase restrictions and costs from the visitor's center vendor as they do from the relevant quartermaster.
See below for web-based tabard design tools.
Honor rank tabards
Enlisted tabards were available for 1 at rank one and ).
- is blue with a gold lion design on the front of it, essentially what Stormwind guards wear.
- is red (more accurately a very deep orange) with the Horde's emblem and white trim.
and are purchasable from all tabard vendors (except Dalaran's) for
Officers' tabards were available for 4 at rank six and ). Somewhat more glorified, these look similar to the enlisted tabards, but are significantly more detailed.
Battleground tabards can be obtained at various reputation with each faction through vendor purchase or quest completion. These tabards have a unique appearance.
Alterac Valley tabards are purchasable from all tabard vendors (except Dalaran's) and the Supply Officers at the entrance to either BG for
- has a red backdrop with golden trim, with the emblem of a spear with a golden bolt at the bottom.
- has a blue backdrop with white trim, bearing a wolf's head at the center, with a crude shield covering it, both made out of blue and white, and with ice-colored and shaped symbols signifying the cold of Alterac Valley.
Warsong Gulch tabards are purchasable from all tabard vendors (except Dalaran's) and the Supply Officers at the entrance to either BG for
Arena tabardsThe subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.1.
During the Relentless, Furious and Wrathful seasons, arena tabards appropriate to the current season could be obtained from arena vendors upon earning a sufficiently high arena/battleground rating, and had a unique appearance. Arena tabards were removed from the game in patch 4.1.
- had a blue backdrop with bronze trim, bearing an ivory sword with a green gem in the center of the hilt.
- had a brown backdrop with bronze trim, bearing a copper sword with a red gem in the center of the hilt.
- , , , , , , , and are rewards from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
- is a drop from on both Normal and Heroic difficulties of Scarlet Halls.
- and are rewards from during the Midsummer Fire Festival.
Past event tabards
These tabards were available for a limited time, and cannot be obtained currently. Some of these tabards may be reacquired from tabard vendors if the player had previously owned them.
- was a reward from the Spirit of Competition event.
- was a reward from the Test of Honor Contest.
- was purchasable for 10 Necrotic Runes from the during the Scourge Invasion.
- was a reward from during the Before the Storm event. It has the same appearance as the Tabard of the Argent Dawn, above.
The Burning Crusade tabardsThis section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
Unless otherwise stated, exalted reputation with the respective faction is needed to purchase their tabard. These faction tabards are purchased from the faction's quartermaster for 1, 90 after discount.
- is a reward from the Blood Elf Paladin's level 50 class quest chain.
- is a reward from the Draenei starting zones' quest chain.
- and are rewards for completing the in Shadowmoon Valley.
Wrath of the Lich King tabardsThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
- is an Achievement reward for the achievement .
- is an Achievement reward for the achievement .
- is an Achievement reward for the achievement .
- is purchasable from the Argent Crusade with Friendly reputation.
- is purchasable from the Knights of the Ebon Blade with Friendly reputation.
- is a Achievement reward for the achievement .
- is purchasable from the Kirin Tor with Friendly reputation.
- is purchasable from the Wyrmrest Accord with Friendly reputation.
The Argent Tournament Tabards are available from each faction once you become their Champion. They each cost 50 . With the release of Cataclysm the faction city tabards are also available for purchase from vendors in the capital cities (for 10) and enable reputation gains in dungeons.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Darnassus.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of the Exodar.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Gnomeregan.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Ironforge.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Stormwind.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Orgrimmar.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of .
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Silvermoon City.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Thunder Bluff.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Undercity.
- will warp you to the Argent Tournament Grounds.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament when Exalted with the Silver Covenant.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament when Exalted with the Sunreavers.
- is a quest reward from .
Cataclysm tabardsThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
- is purchasable from when friendly with the Guardians of Hyjal.
- is purchasable from when friendly with the Earthen Ring.
- is purchasable from when friendly with .
- is purchasable from when friendly with Ramkahen.
- / is purchasable from / when friendly with the Wildhammer Clan/Dragonmaw Clan.
- / is purchasable from / when honored with Baradin's Wardens/Hellscream's Reach.
- / are available from their respective quartermasters. Also, all city tabards from Wrath now grant rep and are now available in much the same way.
Mists of Pandaria tabardsThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
- is a reward from or purchased from <Stockmaster> for 50
- is purchased from in Krasarang Wilds when exalted with the Anglers
- is purchasable at exalted with August Celestials from <The August Celestials Quartermaster> in Shrine of Two Moons or <The August Celestials Quartermaster> in Shrine of Seven Stars
- is purchasable at exalted with Golden Lotus from <The Golden Lotus Quartermaster> in Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- is purchasable at exalted with Kirin Tor Offensive from <Kirin Tor Offensive Quartermaster> on Isle of Thunder
- is purchasable at exalted with Klaxxi from <Klaxxi Quartermaster> in Dread Wastes
- is purchasable at exalted with Lorewalkers from <Lorewalkers Quartermaster> in Vale of Eternal Blossoms
- is purchasable at exalted with Order of the Cloud Serpent from <Serpent Keeper> in The Jade Forest
- is purchasable at exalted with Shado-Pan Assault from <Shado-Pan Offensive Quartermaster> in Townlong Steppes or <Shado-Pan Assault Quartermaster> on Isle of Thunder for 10
- is purchasable at exalted with Shado-Pan from <Shado-Pan Quartermaster> in Townlong Steppes
- is purchasable at exalted with Sunreaver Onslaught from <Sunreaver Onslaught Quartermaster> on Isle of Thunder
- - Alliance only; available in mail after completing the Theramore's Fall scenario a week before the release of Mists of Pandaria
- is purchasable at exalted with The Tillers from <Tillers Quartermaster> in Valley of the Four Winds
- is purchasable from <Huojin Quartermaster> in Orgrimmar for 10 (prior to Patch 5.2 it was sold by <Dragon Turtle Breeder>)
- is purchasable from <Tushui Quartermaster> in Stormwind City for 10 (prior to Patch 5.2 it was sold by <Dragon Turtle Breeder>)
Warlords of Draenor tabards
- and are Ashran tabards, purchasable for 10 from and within the zone.
These tabards are worn by NPCs but cannot be obtained by players, though some can be approximated with certain guild tabard designs.
- ^ https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/304337185031745537
- ^ Although the actual tabard is not obtainable, you can appear to wear one by wearing ; a cloth chest armor that drops randomly from Dalaran NPCs in Silverpine Forest. Only Horde can obtain the robe, as these NPCs are Friendly to Alliance. However, they can be sold at neutral Auction Houses. In addition, the is available for sale.
- ^ a b This particular Scarlet Crusade tabard is unobtainable. It is worn by many of the higher ranking members of the organization. The , which is worn by the lowest-ranking members of the Crusade, is obtainable by players. See the Other Tabards section above.
- ^ There is a tabard similar to this that can be obtained through the Argent Tournament.