Talk:Gruul the Dragonkiller (tactics)
Is this true
"Hurtful Strike: Occasionally hits the 2nd highest aggro in melee range. A second tank is needed to mitigate this, 12350-13650 physical damage."
From personal experience as a melee dpser and in a guild with everyone use KLH threat meter, I have found this not to be the case. It seems like he randomly hits a melee fighter in range. I made sure to not be in the top 5 in the aggro list and I kept getting one shotted.
It is not random. Gruul does in fact hit the 2nd highest aggro with Hurtful Strike in his melee range. The problem is that his hitbox is bigger than his melee range. The OT has to get closer than the limits of the hitbox in order to do his or her job absorbing the Hurtful Strikes. --Mattlistener
All that was stated here was the following:
Gruul is a famous dragon-slaying Gronn. He is the final boss of the raid dungeon Gruul's Lair, which is named after him. He drops the tier 4 pants. He is the father of Durn the Hungerer. Summary of the fight: Rocks fall down. People die.
This is hardly fitting of such an important boss. So I am currently working on finding as much knowledgable information that I can and I emplore people join me. (Sern 14:14, 5 February 2007 (EST));
- Additionally, the page says "...stacks 5 times after 5 secs then causes Stoned. Players must space out between each other during this time to avoid the effects of Shatter." Raiders get stoned, then space out? There must be a better way to write this... --Xanderthestud 05:44, 1 March 2007 (EST)
I've attempted jumping just before the ground slam multiple times while in LoS without getting tossed. The times I do get tossed I get thrown like 2 yards. Is this working as intended or just a fluke? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Mikaboshi-Khadgar (talk · contr).
- ha that might be worth trying User:CrazyJack/Sig 12:55, 29 May 2007 (UTC)
- Kind of confirmed. My guild was having issued with shatter wiping a lot, so out of frustration about 5 seconds before a groundstomp I announced "Everyone jump up and down like a maniac." I watched 24 people jumping up and down like mad for a while, then ground stomp. 8 people(including myself) didn't move at all. Theres probably an exact moment you have to be in the air, what that point is I don't know. Lag would make it harder to time, so I doubt this is a viable strategy. Aloseven 4:20, 14 March 2008
Does anyone know if Gruul has any adds?-- (talk) 15:24, 11 February 2007 (EST)
- no adds, but you'll need to clear the way up to him.. the respawn timer for the trash is 30min I guess --Thundor 11:24, 27 February 2007 (EST)
- the respawn timer for the trash is actually 60 min, just like the trash to Maulgar --Stipa 14:00, 1 March 2007 (EST)
Shatter damage from pets?
Can anyone document whether being near a combat pet when the Shatter goes off can damage a player character?
No, don't just write "yes" or "no" or even "I was there and it didn't cause damage." Does anyone have a screenshot of a combat log showing the damage, or a screenshot of a nearby pet and a log devoid of the damage? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Kathucka30144 (talk · contr).
- I am a hunter and pets just stay stoned for a while. He does not shatter them. Sorry, I can provide no screenshot. --Mikaboshi-Khadgar 21:12, 29 March 2007 (EDT)
- Pets are neither affected by Gruul's shatter (and thus do not cause damage to nearby players) nor receive damage from shattered players as shatter-damage is considered an aura-effect. Tried it out and works properly as described. --Felbaris 10:14, 7 April 2007 (EDT)
After talking with several guildmates, we´re trying to work out if shatter has a "Deep Breath-like" trigger.
(O Rly? What was the Deep Breath trigger then? ;) KelvinFrost 09:50, 31 August 2007 (UTC))
Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be this trigger?
We´re discussing the following atm:
1: Random timer, with a max timer and a min timer.
3: Melee range
4: Not in Melee range
5: Proximity to other players
6: People hit by Cave In
- Shatter is the last triggered event in the Ground Slam chain so you probably should ask for triggers for that not Shatter. For that my guess would be #1 with the timer being something around 60 sec. Never seen him doing Ground Slam in much different time intervals. --FallingDown 14:27, 1 March 2007 (EST)
- I´m aware that it´s the last part of the chain. But we´ve had several attempts were gruul only did 1 or 2 chains over a period of 6 mins, so that´s what lead us to speculate if there is something players can actively do, or if it´s a luckbased encounter (which would be bad) --Lairek 17:43, 1 March 2007 (EST)
- Ground slam has a 70 second cooldown, but Gruul has to use it and he sometimes waits quite a while before actually doing so. If you are unlucky you can be standing in your safe spot unable todo anything for a minute just waiting for the ground slam :P. Yes this is a very luck based encounter. Since the Ground Slam knocks you a random direction and distance you can have 10 people land at the same spot wich is impossible to survive. --Raqtor 06:42, 12 March 2007 (EDT)
- This Encounter is NOT luck based. Everyone should be able to survive shatter everytime it happens with the right strategy. But i noticed it too, arround 2 or 3 minutes duration where no Shatter happened. I guess it's same as with Onyxia, big random timer. iob
Question on the Shatter and stomp - are you supposed to run out from melee range before the ground stomp happens, do you DON'T end up being thrown around, or are you simply supposed to position yourself in the 5 seconds before Shatter happens, after being thrown through the air? KelvinFrost 09:50, 31 August 2007 (UTC)
- You don't need to necessarily move anywhere at all. Players tend to run to the walls and behind objects in order to prevent themselves from being thrown around, but you simply must separate yourself from other players before the Shatter occurs in order to minimize raid damage. Also, the timer on the Ground Slam is quite precise. Every single time my timer counts down to the following Ground Slam and he precisely slams the ground every interval, exactly when the timer ends. The ONLY luck variable is if your entire raid lands in the same spot, assuring death, though through my experience of raiding without assigning "safe spots" I rarely get hit, using brains. Gruul WILL use his Ground Slam when the cooldown is ready, immediately. --Furi December 1st
just a quick factcheck : is this guy humanoid, beast, or unknown? User:CrazyJack/Sig 12:53, 29 May 2007 (UTC)
- unknown... gronn... some kind of giant I suppose --Thundor 09:16, 26 June 2007 (UTC)
- Gronns are all humanoids. Can't polymorph him, but the Hunter Humanoid Slaying talent helps. Kathucka 21:21, 22 August 2007 (UTC)
CLoS and Shatter
After discussing this with Guildmates, reading the Boss Killers strats and noodling the subject around with the guys over at worldofwar.net  I believe the section referring to Rogues using CLoS to mitigate or reduce Shatter damage is incorrect and should be changed. CLoS is used on "Lord Gronn's Grasp", the movement Debuff not on Shatter. The consensus seems to be that CLoS does nothing directly to mitigate Shatter damage. I am new to editing WoWwikki so I am not sure if this is the correct way to actually edit the section; I didn't want to break any policies by just updating myself so if a MOD or someone else can help me that would be great.
EDIT: I went ahead and edited that section. I am confident that this accurate. Hope that I haven't broken any policies in doing so. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by WoWWiki-Boltz (talk · contr).
As of 2.3:
- Dreamless Sleep potions no longer freeze you in mid-air, making them worthless for this fight.
- Shatter range has been extended, it is now greater than 15 yards. Mods that previously indicated people within 15 yards are no longer accurate due to this change.
- Slanted walls no longer prevent Ground Stomp knockback. Stones continue to function normally for avoiding this.
Stillfresh 03:06, 14 November 2007 (UTC)
- Slanted walls still have a chance to prevent being tossed during a Ground Slam. I tried it during one of our normal runs into this raid and I still had some moments where I only moved maybe a whole yard against the wall. However, it can be said that it is no longer a guarantee that it will work as I still found myself flying through the air plenty of times. Hiding behind a stone or wedging yourself into a corner is still the best method. --Varteras 11:08, 2 May 2008 (UTC)