We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
I've been discussing this with Kirkburn, based on a suggestion/complaint made over in Talk:Stormwind human on the possibility of splitting out some of the informatin in the race pages concerning the playable versions of the race, from the general topic about the entire race. Basically what we did for Stormwind humans, Ironforge dwarves, and Darkspear trolls. However since some of the other races do not have a specific group titles, the thought is to use the more generic title of "Race (playable)" (see heading title).
By splitting the information, the previous article can discuss all orcs in more detail and not just the ones found in the Horde, and go into more detail about various factions (synopses leading to other more detailed articles). Essentially a better way to disambig the information, and avoid the confusion risen out of Thrall's orcs vs. other orcs where there are cultural differences.
Now playable orcs may have a choice of titles, they could be listed under such things as, "Kalimdor orc", "Horde orc", "Durotar orc", or even "Orgrimmar orc" based on discriptions given for them in various sources, including WoW manual, and Orc introduction sequence in WoW. However the majority of these names are pretty long and unwieldy, or fairly broad and imprecise. For example "Horde orc" doesn't really point out that player races come from Horde of Kalimdor, whereas its stated that their are members of the Horde in the Eastern Kingdoms don't necessarily answer to Thrall, but may be alligned with the eastern Horde under Sylvanas (and have far more sinister purposes), or even those in Kalimdor that believe in the Horde but don't believe in Thrall's way of leading it, see Horde#The_Two_Hordes.
In anycase this notice is to allow discussion of which would be the best title for the spinnout page. I'm personally leaning towards 'Orcs (playable)', as we will probably have to use something similar for other pages such as 'draenei (playable)', or 'blood elves (playable)' as well, due to there not being any specific titles for those groups.
However, groups like Forsaken (and to some degree blood elves) who are pretty much stand alone to begin with (where there isn't much difference between the race and its factions lore wise, don't necessarily have to be split apart (beyond a general spinnout of gameplay information rather than lore). Draenei, orcs, and night elves have a bit more lore that can be split into the "player" articles due to the races existing in distinct named factions that may be neutral or antongonistic to the player faction even at the lore level.--Baggins 20:24, 2 January 2008 (UTC)
- I've moved the playe rrace info to the Orc (playable), but if a consensus can be reached on one of the alternate titles we could go with one of those instead.Baggins 14:04, 9 January 2008 (EST)
- I think that "Durotar orc" is a suitable term for the playable orc faction. PRH 19:06, 15 January 2008 (UTC)
- I think "Orc (playable)" is a more clear and intuitive article name, espectially for those less familiar with lore. However, to be consistent with the other playable-race pages, "Orgrimmar orc" makes sense (since the other pages use the name of the faction + name of race). So (if this were a vote), I'd say use "Race (playable)" for all races where there is a separate "Race" page. -- Harveydrone 19:35, 15 January 2008 (UTC)
- If you must go through with this damn plot (in which I was not consulted at all), then change the thing to "Durotar orc" to keep it in line with Stormwind human (in which I was also not consulted), Darkspear Troll and Ironforge Dwarf. "Orc (playable)" gives no regard to lore or the point of a factions. Put a shiny disclaimer saying that it's a descriptive term, like Stormwind human is or demonic eredar was. -- (talk · contr) 15:07, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
Since "Stormwind human" has been changed to "Human of Stormwind" and "Exodar draenei" changed to "Draenei of Exodar", shouldn't this article be changed to "Orc of Durotar"? Rolandius (talk - contr) 07:51, 5 March 2009 (UTC)
- This is an older discussion, and, after much discussion on the Village Pump, it was decided that all this type of page be moved to "<race> (playable)". They are no longer changed to those names.-- 17:27, 25 May 2009 (UTC)