|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.|
|Level: 40 - 60|
Battle Pet Level: 13 - 14
Contested territory (PvP realms only)
|Sources: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm|
Tanaris, or the Tanaris Desert, (pronounced Tuh-NAYR-ihs or Tuh-NUHR-ihs) is a desert located in Southern Kalimdor, east of Un'Goro Crater and south of Thousand Needles. It is an arid land, covered in sand dunes and frequently exposed to dangerous sandstorms. The Steamwheedle Cartel goblins have established Steamwheedle Port and Gadgetzan as their main centers of operation. The dock in Steamwheedle Port was presumably used for transport to the outer islands of the Undermine, the goblin capital, but it was destroyed in the cataclysm, which also brought the ocean to Gadgetzan, where the goblins built a new dock for their shipping needs.
Tanaris used to be a jungle and territory of the Gurubashi Empire. When the Great Sundering shattered the ancient landmass, the area swiftly became the desert of Tanaris. The Farraki tribe of trolls were stranded here and eventually adapted to their harsh new environment, becoming sand trolls.
Tanaris is the ancestral home of the bronze dragonflight based out of the Caverns of Time. The titans also have a holding here in the form of an entrance to the ancient land of Uldum, found in the southern parts of the desert. It was here that first discovered the full threat of the silithid, who had been making hives in the remote regions of Tanaris. The War of the Shifting Sands was consequently unleashed upon the western land of Silithus.
During the Ahn'Qiraj War, the area was invaded by the armies of .
Approximately four years after the end of the Second War, Cho'gall and his Twilight's Hammer clan followers arrived to Tanaris and entered its cave complex where they made a base. Not soon after, several of the members went missing or were found dead, killed by . The cultists thus left the cave complex. In the same year, the human brothers and Silverlaine visited Gadgetzan.
With the Cataclysm Steamwheedle Port and many parts of Tanaris were flooded, making Gadgetzan a port. Some Tanaris goblins wisely invested in desert real estate and reaped the benefits when it became beach-front property.This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
While questing through Thousand Needles players will be sent from the Fizzle and Pozzik's Speedbarge south through the Shimmering Deep and through the mountain pass to the south. Gadgetzan will be soon after entering.
Tanaris covers a vast expanse of Southern Kalimdor, just south of Thousand Needles. It is a blazing hot expanse of rolling sand dunes under a cloudless sky. The southern region is more mountainous, with large cavern networks, with some extending deep beneath the surface. A vast realm, Tanaris holds many secrets. The land is mostly desert, and below ground are gigantic tunnel networks. They remain largely unexplored, for few have the fortitude to venture into such a harsh landscape. Still, rumors tell of all manner of creatures that hide within the tunnels and slaughter trespassers without hesitation. Although the sea of dunes does not look as if it would support a variety of wildlife, humans, Sandfury trolls, hyenas, scorpids, basilisks, and silithid bugs are quite common. Occasionally, drakes are also seen soaring on the thermals that swirl over the great desert.
Maps and subregions
|Dungeon Name||Level Range||Group Size||Approximate Run Time|
|Caverns of Time: Escape from Durnholde Keep||66-68||5-man||1 hour 15 minutes|
|Caverns of Time: Opening the Dark Portal||70||5-man||45 minutes|
|Caverns of Time: Battle for Mount Hyjal||70||25-man||Unknown|
|Caverns of Time: Culling of Stratholme||80||5-man||Unknown|
|Caverns of Time: Endtime||85||5-man||Unknown|
|Caverns of Time: Well of Eternity||85||5-man||Unknown|
|Caverns of Time: Hour of Twilight||85||5-man||Unknown|
|Caverns of Time: Dragon Soul||85||10/25-man||Unknown|
Regions adjacent to Tanaris
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Thousand Needles||40 - 60||North||By foot or by flying|
|Un'Goro Crater||40 - 60||West||By foot or by flying|
|Uldum||83 - 90||Southwest||By foot or by flying|
- Main article: Tanaris NPCs
- Main article: Tanaris storyline
For pre-cataclysm story line see Tanaris quests.
- Air elementals
- Bronze dragons
- Earth elementals
- Sand worms
- Skeletal wind serpents
- Stone golems
In the RPGThis section contains information from the Warcraft RPG which is considered non-canon.
Tanaris has been an endless sea of sand for aeons. , the great dragon of time, was said to make this land his home since time immemorial, thriving in the solitude of oppressive heat and miles of sand.
Notes & trivia
- According to the Gordunni ogres, Tanaris is covered in Dunemaul ogre poo.
- World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3 describes a cave complex beneath Tanaris. Previously, Gadgetzan Gazette from Hearthstone canon mentioned underground ruins upon which a Gadgetzan manor was built and which predate the city of Gadgetzan.
- Before patch 4.0.1, Alliance players didn't have any travel hubs in Thousand Needles, so Gadgetzan made a great alternative to get to Shimmering Flats since it was just a short run over the hill to get there. Even Horde players could benefit from this shortcut as it was even faster than running from Freewind Post.
- There is an alternative route to get to Tanaris that is much quicker for players in Dustwallow Marsh. By traveling to the Theramore Docks, on the eastern coast of Dustwallow, and swimming south around the mountains that surround the Shimmering Flats, you can easily get to Steamweedle Port, so long as you hug the shoreline; failure to do so will result in death by fatigue. This is made much easier using a Swim Speed Potion, a druid's Aquatic Form, a shaman's Water Walking or a similar ability.
- Currently, Tanaris has the largest amount of dungeons in the game.
- One of the names for oil is "Tanaris Tea".
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Level scaling implemented, previous zone level: 45 - 50.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Reshaped with the Cataclysm as a level 45 - 50 zone. New quests, new NPCs etc. added.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Added as a level 40 - 50 zone.
- Patch 0.8 (2004-07-07): New music has been added to the desert region.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Opened and itemized.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Ultimate Visual Guide, Updated and Expanded, pg. 17
- ^ Patch 4.1.0 trailer
- ^ Troll Compendium/Sand Troll Tribes
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3, page 26
- ^ Traveler: The Spiral Path, chapter 38
- ^ Argent Emissary#Quotes
- ^ 
- ^ a b Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, pg. 210
- ^ Gordunni ogres flavor text