|Title||<Lord of the Shado-Pan>|
|Affiliation(s)||Shado-Pan, Shado-Pan Assault, Order of the Broken Temple|
|Occupation||Leader of the Shado-Pan and Shado-Pan Assault, Champion of the Broken Temple|
- "Discipline: It is the only way."
He held a great mistrust of any race outside the pandaren and looked at the Alliance-Horde war as a pointless "race war" that did not need to involve his homeland. His hatred would ironically draw the Sha of Hatred to him, eventually being freed by the very adventurers he believed were the corrupt ones. From there he would join the Horde and Alliance in the campaigns against the Sha, the Thunder King, and Garrosh Hellscream. His wary nature serves as foil to the ever-trusting Lorewalker Cho.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Objective of
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Notes and trivia
- 7 Videos
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Around the first couple of months within the Horde and Alliance's arrival to Pandaria, the young pandaren Ten, Heavy Chan and Pei-Ling completed the Trial of the Red Blossoms and Taran was said to accept them into the Shado-Pan.
Mists of Pandaria
Taran Zhu is first seen at the beginning of the Jade Forest questline, where he warns both the Alliance and the Horde against the dangers of the Sha. Shortly after adventurers killed Ga'trul/Doren, Rell Nightwind/Nazgrim were surprised by the sha and Taran Zhu explained more of it as a negative emotion to all, such as doubt and hatred. He reminded them not to bring the war to the shores of Pandaria and left.
When adventurers arrived at Paw'don Village/Honeydew Village, Taran had no choice but to watch the Alliance and Horde welcomed with open arms by Sunke Khang/Mayor Honeydew, and leaves it to them to decide what to do.
During the Kun-Lai Summit storyline, Taran is seen at the Temple of the White Tiger, warning Xuen not to allow the "wanderers from beyond the mists" to enter the Vale. After Xuen finally decided to allow them to enter, Taran warned him that he was making a terrible mistake and left.
The Shado-pan became concerned with the lack of reinforcements to the battlezones they were involved in and eventually uncovered the fact that Taran Zhu had become possessed by the Sha of Hatred. He was eventually cleansed of the sha influence and led the search for the Sha of Hatred in Townlong Steppes. Zhu eventually succeeded in vanquishing the Sha of Hatred with the help of other Shado-Pan warriors and adventurers but still felt ashamed that he let his emotions get the best of him back in Kun Lai, allowing the Sha to escape.
Shadows of the Horde
While wary of the Horde-Alliance conflict Taran Zhu did permit Chen Stormstout to bring both Tyrathan Khort and Vol'jin to the Shado-pan Monastery so they could heal. However, Taran Zhu told Chen that he would allow him to bring no more soldiers of the Horde or Alliance to the temple and unbalance things. At the same time in order to achieve he placed Vol'jin in Khort's care, which Vol'jin and Khort expect was done so that Taran Zhu could see their interactions and judge for himself the relationship between the Horde and Alliance, without the bias of the other side. Meanwhile Taran Zhu willing allowed Vol'jin to undergo monk training and offered advice while Vol'jin and Khort struggled with their identities.
After Vol'jin received a vision of the Zandalari attacking Zouchin Village, Taran Zhu ordered a small force of his Shado-pan monks to aid them in protecting the village. He later would instruct a small force of Shado-pan along with Vol'jin, Khort, and Chen to enter the Vale of Eternal Blossoms in order to stop the Zandalari from resurrecting Warlord Kao, a general of the Thunder King. However, Vol'jin and the others would fail and Warlord Kao would be resurrected and the survivors taken prisoner on the Isle of Thunder. However, Vol'jin and his allies would later escape their prison and make their way towards the Shado-pan Monastery.
Anticipating an assault by the Zandalari, Zhu gathered all the forces he could spare to defend the Shado-Pan Monastery: a mere twenty-nine monks, with the addition of Taran Zhu himself and his three non-Shado-Pan guests, Vol'jin, Chen Stormstout and Tyrathan Khort. With numerous traps and skilled fighting, the Thirty-three held off the attackers, but not without suffering heavy casualties.
The Thunder King
Taran Zhu is seen in the cave just outside of Throne of Thunder along with Taoshi, Yalia Sagewhisper, Lao-Chin the Iron Belly and Hawkmaster Nurong. He gives adventurers a group quest of dealing with the Thunder Kings champions. He also keeps a close watch on Lor'themar Theron and Jaina Proudmoore in the upcoming time when they assault the gates of Throne of Thunder.
To stop one of Lei Shen's most powerful mogu minions, Shan Bu, from bringing the gatekeeper Nalak, the Storm Lord back into the world, Taran Zhu and the Shado-Pan have launched a raid on the outer courtyard to stop Shan Bu. After fighting through Shan Bu's mogu and Zandalari army, Taran Zhu taunted Shan Bu into dueling him. Growing weary, Shan Bu grabbed Taran Zhu by the throat and attempted to kill him by strangling him. However, before he could do so, Bu was struck down by an adventurers. After Bu's death, despite being gravely wounded, Zhu intervened to stop Lor'themar and Jaina from attacking each other, demanding that they act now to end the cycle of violence between their factions. The two leaders were eventually convinced by Zhu to lower their weapons and walk away, leaving without bloodshed and returning to their bases. Yalia then took Zhu to safety.
Under Warchief Hellscream's orders, a Horde excavation force laid waste to sacred ground in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, in an attempt to unearth yet more dangerous artifacts of use to Garrosh's cause. In retaliation, Taran Zhu confronted Dezco at the Shrine of Two Moons, and ordered him to leave the vale, threatening to use lethal force should the Horde not comply. Dezco was able to stall Zhu's wrath, informing him that the man responsible for this travesty no longer speaks for the rest of the Horde and that indeed, many are now rising up against him. Dezco promised to bring Hellscream to justice, asking only time to make it happen.
No stranger to dealing with tyrants, Zhu warily allowed Dezco the chance to make things right, giving the Dawnchaser chieftain until the end of the season to make good on his promise.
Siege of Orgrimmar
After Garrosh Hellscream discovers and brings the Heart of Y'Shaarj to the surface of the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, Taran Zhu confronts him in attempt to stop him from using the Heart to corrupt the Vale. However, not even Taran Zhu could defeat Garrosh and was wounded on Garrosh's axe, Gorehowl. Garrosh let him see the Vale become a Sha-infested wasteland.
Lorewalker Cho and a group of adventurers come across Taran Zhu, seriously injured, in the chamber of the Sha of Pride beneath the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. He blames the Horde and Alliance alike for the destruction of Pandaria and leaves the chamber along with Cho while the adventurers fight the Sha of Pride.
After Hellscream is defeated, Taran Zhu heads off a building argument between Thrall and Varian about summarily executing him. He points out that Garrosh's crimes have affected many people, "most of all" the Pandaren, and therefore arrests him for trial in Pandaria.
Taran Zhu in the Inner Sanctum.
In the Temple of the White Tiger Taran was the judge, fa'shua, of Garrosh Hellscream's trial by the tradition of ancient Pandaren law. Working with Baine Bloodhoof and Tyrande Whisperwind as Chu'shao, defender and accuser, and with the August Celestials as the jury, he let the court throughout the whole process. Before the official start, he gathered Kairozdormu, Chromie and the chu'shao in order to explain them the artifact . At the end of the trial, he asked the Celestials to reveal their verdict.
Taran Zhu assists Mistweaver monks in obtaining from the Terrace of Endless Spring. He later joins forces with the Order of the Broken Temple after fighting off a Felskorn attack at the Tian Monastery in the Jade Forest. He becomes one of the order's champions, and can be found at the Temple of Five Dawns on the Wandering Isle.
Battle for Azeroth
Taran Zhu led the Shado-Pan's defense of the Vale of Eternal Blossoms against the forces of N'Zoth. He instructed adventurers with releasing the Ancient Pandaren Spirits that the Black Empire sought to raise in the service of N'Zoth.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Inner Sanctum (Siege of Orgrimmar)||92||12,647,760|
|100 - 110||254,263|
|Wandering Isle||102 - 110||1,558,901|
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Taran Zhu (tactics)||89 - 92|
|Isle of Thunder||90||11,818,230|
|Vault of Y'Shaarj||92||8,431,840|
Mists of Pandaria
- Main article: The Right Tool For The Job#Notes
- Main article: The Final Blow!#Notes
- Main article: The Cost of War#Notes
- Main article: Face to Face With Consequence#Notes
- Main article: Seeking Zin'jun#Notes
- Main article: The Fall of Ga'trul#Notes
- Main article: Onward and Inward#Notes
- Main article: The Darkness Within#Notes
- Main article: Temple of the White Tiger (quest)#Transcript
- Main article: A Celestial Experience#Notes
- Main article: Taran Zhu (tactics)#Quotes
- Main article: My Husband...#Notes
- Main article: First Assault#Notes
- Main article: Gao-Ran Battlefront (quest)#Notes
- Main article: Along the Southern Front#Notes
- Main article: Joining the Fight#Notes
- Main article: The Taking of Dusklight Bridge#Notes
- Main article: Joining the Hunt (Townlong Steppes)#Notes
- Main article: The Sha of Hatred#Notes
- Not friendly Greetings
- What do you want, stranger?
- I've had enough of your kind!
- Go back and ruin your own land!
- Not friendly Pissed
- *growls* I knew I did not like you!
- Not friendly Farewell
- I am finished with you!
- Pandaria is better off without you!
- Friendly Greeting
- The Shado-pan welcome you!
- How could the Shado-pan serve?
- Hmm, we are out numbered, but not out witted.
- We shall never yield!
- Discipline: It is the only way.
- Friendly Pissed
- Enough! We have work to do.
- You are wasting my time!
- You are wasting everyone's time!
- I am beginning to question our friendship.
- You are a veteran of campaigns across four continents. You have fought the specter of death and travelled to worlds beyond to cleanse them of demonic corruption, and this is how you spend your time?
- Friendly Farewell
- Do not succumb to the darkness.
- Remain centered, my friend.
- Hold fast against the sha.
- Our fellowship is our strength.
- Stay focused. Keep your passions in check.
Isle of Thunder
Lei Shen must not be allowed to marshal his full strength.
A direct assault on the front gates will take time, and the aid of your Alliance and Horde. But if there is one thing we Shado-pan know it is that where there is a wall, there is a way around.
The sewers at the back of this tunnel lead all the way to the fortress entrance. We must hold this entrance.
- Main article: A Bold Idea#Notes
- Main article: Decisive Action#Notes
- Main article: The Fall of Shan Bu#Notes
Siege of Orgrimmar
- Main article: Siege of Orgrimmar trailer#Transcript
- Main article: Sha of Pride#Quotes
- Main article: Garrosh Hellscream (tactics)#Quotes
- Grandmaster, the stories they tell about you are true. I witnessed your fortitude first hand at Tian Monastery. My life and heart are pledged to the <class> order, and we have many battles ahead of us. Let me be one of your swords. I would be honored to fight for you.
- They never saw it coming.
- The element of surprise is on our side!
- Strike hard! Strike fast!
Battle for Azeroth
The vale will not fall!
Notes and trivia
- Taran Zhu's impaled body can be seen in the Stormwind Harbor of the Realm of Y'Shaarj.
- Taran Zhu is voiced by James Sie.
- Seeking Fate
- Hidden Threads
- Hellscream's Downfall (Alliance)
- Hellscream's Downfall (Horde)
- The Story of Taran Zhu
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.