|Title||<Defender of Thandol Span>|
|Occupation||Hero of Ironforge|
|Relative(s)||Hjalmar (brother), Modimus (ancestor)|
Thargas Anvilmar is an Ironforge dwarf in service of king Magni Bronzebeard who has fought alongside King Varian. He is currently the last of the Anvilmars and direct descendant of Modimus Anvilmar, the last High King of all dwarves.
World of Warcraft: The Comic
Thargas Anvilmar was sent by King Magni Bronzebeard to meet Varian Wrynn ("Lo'Gosh"), Valeera Sanguinar and Broll Bearmantle at Menethil Harbor and escort them back to Ironforge. After they landed, Thargas followed them to an inn where he helped the three companions fight a band from the Defias Brotherhood. He then told Varian and his friends about another "King Varian" who has returned to Stormwind.
When Thargas, Varian, Broll Bearmantle, and Valeera Sanguinar were traveling on their way to Ironforge; they were attacked by a group of Dark Iron dwarves. When the heroes defeated them; their leader, Gunnar Flyntrock, told Thargas that his brother, Hjalmar Anvilmar, was captured by the Dark Iron dwarves at Thandol Span. The company then decided to go and rescue him.
At Thandol Span, they found Hjalmar held captive by Dark Iron dwarves under the command of Balgaras the Foul. Balgaras intended to kill Hjalmar by melting the Helm of the Anvilmars onto his face. However, Thargas cut his hand off before he could cast a fire spell, and Hjalmar was thus set free. With his other hand, Balgaras lit one of the explosives. Hjalmar jumped in front of the blast to prevent it from killing his brother, and was mortally injured by the explosion. Before he died, he gave the Helm of the Anvilmars to Thargas telling him to save Thandol Span. In Hjalmar's name, Thargas killed many Dark Irons and helped save the span.
Afterwards, he returned to Ironforge where the group decided to investigate the disappearance of Marshal Windsor in the Blackrock Depths. Thargas then aided him in driving off Onyxia from Stormwind and assaulting Onyxia's Lair. After Onyxia was slain, Thargas departed with the Stormwind soldiers who were returning to the Eastern Kingdoms so that he could sort out the affairs involving his brother's death and his own estates. Varian thanked Thargas for his aid and friendship and told him that Anvilmar could always count on Stormwind as an ally.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
Thargas made first appearance in-game as a quest giver in Cataclysm, sending adventurers to help in defending the Thandol Span and retaking Dun Modr. He could initially be found just outside the town, poised for combat and standing over the corpses of several Twilight Riflemen.
Tides of War
Thargas was present during a meeting with Varian and others Alliance leaders and ambassadors to decide on the best way to destroy the Horde's blockade around Kalimdor after the Destruction of Theramore.
Notes & trivia
- Thargas referred to himself as the impetuous brother and Hjalmar as the levelheaded one.
- Thargas' first ever appearance was as an action figure in DC Unlimited's World of Warcraft: Series 1 action figure set, where he appeared to be wearing Destroyer Armor.
- An unused NPC representing Thargas is situated in the same ID range as other legendary warriors presumably meant to appear in Skyhold. He and most of these NPCs didn't make it out of the Legion alpha stage.
- As a member of the Anvilmar family, he may be a senator of Ironforge.
- His last words in the comic to Varian Wrynn were that he was going to make arrangements regarding his brother's death and his own estates, possibly implying he will succeed his brother as senator.
- In Tides of Darkness, Orgrim Doomhammer recalls shortly before the Second War that the Horde had encountered "one or two" dwarves on Azeroth thus far. He may have been referring to Thargas and Hjalmar, given that Thargas fought in the First War and was imprisoned in Blackrock Depths, where Hjalmar released him. Anduin Lothar remembered having previously met dwarves "once or twice" back in Stormwind after Ironforge joined the Alliance. He may have fought alongside Thargas and Hjalmar during the First War, as he had been impressed by the strength and endurance of dwarves.
Thargas takes on a group of Dark Irons
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.
- ^ The Comic: Conflicting Loyalties
- ^ Ask CDev#Ask CDev Answers - Round 3
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic, Descent
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: The Comic, Last of the Line
- ^ Wolfheart
- ^ Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron. Tides of Darkness, 61. ISBN 978-1-4165-3990-2.
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron. Tides of Darkness, 336. ISBN 978-1-4165-3990-2.
|Wetlands||The Battle of Thandol Span|