The Battle for Broken Shore (Horde)
98 (Requires 98)
Item level 685 weapon
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Notes
- 5 Completion
- 6 Gains
- 7 Progression
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
- Ship taken to the Broken Shore
- Broken Shore assaulted
Your warship awaits at the end of the dock, <name>. May your weapon bring you many kills today.
- Captain Russo
- Welcome aboard, <name>.
- We're all stocked and ready to ship out just as soon as you're ready.
I am ready to face the Legion.
Are you prepared to face the Legion at the Broken Shore? Accept/Cancel
- A cutscene plays, showing the Horde fleet shipping out.
Inside the scenario begins the Horde perspective of the battle for the Broken Shore.
Stage 1: The Broken Shore
- Travel to the Broken Shore.
Once the cutscene finishes, the player is on Captain Russo's ship, sailing toward the Broken Shore. Up to 40 players (20 Alliance and 20 Horde) can take part in the scenario and the difficulty will scale to handle all comers. In the first twenty seconds, other players who also say they are ready to start the scenario will join the instance automatically. After 20 seconds, the NPCs start talking:
- Captain Russo says: Smell that sea air! It feels good to be out in the open water again.
- Du'pre says: I'm sure dat payment from Orgrimmar had nothin' ta do with it.
- Captain Russo says: There's an old goblin saying that goes "the best bets use other people's money."
- Du'pre says: Dat assumes we gonna make it back.
- Captain Russo says: Any messages from Orgrimmar?
- Du'pre says: Sylvanas an' da main fleet arrived a few hours ago. Demons coverin' da whole island.
- Captain Russo says: Already? How'd they get so many here so fast?
- Du'pre says: I got da feelin' we gonna find out.
- Captain Russo says: Alright Horde troops, this is your stop, a beach lined with demons! Bring her in snappy now!
- The ship turns, and the fel energy above the Tomb of Sargeras comes into view.
- Captain Russo says: What's that ahead?
- Du'pre says: Looks like trouble. Big trouble.
- A cutscene takes place as siege cannons start bombarding the ships with fel fireballs.
Stage 2: Storm The Beach
- Destroy all demons and structures on the beach.
- 33 Demons slain
- 3 Fel Lords slain
- 3 Spires of Woe destroyed
Once the cutscene finishes, Captain Russo's ship is now ashore. On the beach, Vol'jin and Thrall are each leading small squads of Darkspear Headhunters, Darkspear Witch Doctors and Earthen Ring Shamans. Several Cannons-In-Boxes are also here, manned by Bilgewater Blastmasters. A few Silvermoon Blood Knights are also there. Many Horde ships are wrecked around the shoreline and several Wind Riders as well as Riding Bats are dead on the ground. Players then gain the For the Horde buff which makes them stronger.
- Thrall says: Looks like our reinforcements have arrived.
- Vol'jin says: Good ting! We don't got much beach left ta retreat to.
- Thrall says: There's only one way out of this one, old friend.
- Vol'jin yells: Listen up! Dere's only one way offa dis beach, and it be t'rough alla dose demons ahead of us. But dey don't know who dey be dealin' wit. Let's show dem what it means ta be Horde!
- Fel Commander Azgalor yells: Keep them away from the spires!
The NPCs charge toward one of the three spires, guarded by 11 demons (among them Felguard Legionnaires and Felstalker Dreadhounds) and a Fel Lord (among them Fel Lord Kurrz, Fel Lord Darakk and Fel Lord Razzar) each. Start killing the demons as well as the Anchoring Crystals surrounding the Spires of Woe. Thrall realizes that they're important:
- Thrall yells: There's something odd about the crystals surrounding that spire. They feel... wrong... like they're in two places at once. Hmm.
- Vol'jin yells: Horde, make for dem crystals! We gonna see if ya hunch is right.
- Random yells
- Thrall yells: Back to the Nether!
- Thrall yells: Lok'tar ogar!
- Vol'jin yells: Die.
- Vol'jin yells: Dis one's mine.
- Vol'jin yells: For da Horde!
After destroying the first spire:
- Thrall yells: Yes... they must anchor it to this world.
- Vol'jin yells: Two more ta go.
- Fel Commander Azgalor yells: Crush them!
In small groups, follow the NPCs - don't take the lead. Let Vol'jin and Thrall tank! Repeat the process for the second spire:
- Vol'jin yells: Keep it up! We almost got dem!
- Fel Commander Azgalor yells: Your corpses will feed my hounds.
Destroy the third spire to advance to the next stage.
Stage 3: Defeat the Commander
- Slay Fel Commander Azgalor.
- Fel Commander Azgalor slain
- Fel Commander Azgalor yells: Weaklings. Must I do everything myself? Very well, prepare yourselves!
- Vol'jin yells: You gonna die just like all da others.
- Thrall yells: Focus on the commander!
Azgalor lands in the center of the beach. Again, let the NPCs tank him. He has the same area of effect attacks as the fel lords, so they're easy to dodge.
- Fel Commander Azgalor yells: You will all burn!
- Thrall yells: Felfire rains from the sky! Look out!
- Vol'jin yells: Looks like you chose da wrong side.
- Fel Commander Azgalor yells: The master will mend my flesh again and again. You have not won. You cannot win. We are endless. We are Legion!
- Fel Commander Azgalor yells: I... will.. return...
Stage 4: Find the Others
- Locate Sylvanas and Baine.
- Thrall says: It is good to fight with you again, Warchief.
- Vol'jin says: Ain't never gonna get used to you callin' me dat.
- Thrall says: There's only one way to the tomb, are you ready?
- Vol'jin says: Let's get movin'.
Vol'jin, Thrall, and their troops start running uphill to the north. Keep up.
- Vol'jin says: Sylvanas' ship must 'av crashed just ahead.
- Thrall says: They're expanding faster than we've seen before.
- Vol'jin says: Ya, mon. Dis ain't da same Legion.
As the party crests the hill, looking over a ridge to the north, the Tomb of Sargeras itself comes into view. A cutscene shows the environs, where a huge demon city and the wreck of the Horde gunship that transported Sylvanas Windrunner can be seen:
- Thrall says: What?
- Vol'jin says: Dat's no invasion force. Dat's an army!
- Legion ships start warping in as the camera tracks to Sylvanas' position, with Baine in tow.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Nock your arrows! Hold! Fire!
- Sylvanas is surrounded by Dark Rangers, Deathguard Elites, Silvermoon Priests and Thunder Bluff Braves. The cutscene ends as Sylvanas' forces are about to attack another band of demons. The Legion ships starts bombarding the area.
- Thrall yells: They're alive!
- Vol'jin yells: Let's move!
Follow Vol'jin and Thrall down the hill, dodging the bombardment.
Stage 5: Destroy the Portal
- Destroy the demon portal to stop reinforcements.
- 4 Shielded Anchors shattered
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: It's about time you showed up!
- Vol'jin says: You looked like you could use a hand.
- Baine Bloodhoof says: Their reinforcements are endless!
- Thrall says: Those crystals again... if we can get close to them, we can bring this thing down.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: You heard him, rangers, we cut those demons down! Fire a volley on my mark... NOW!
Finish off the Mo'arg Painbringer, then rush the portal. Another painbringer will run out of the portal, but let the NPCs tank it. Focus instead on the Eredar Chaos Guards protecting the Shielded Anchors.
- Random yells
- Baine Bloodhoof says: To the earth with you!
- Baine Bloodhoof says: Take heart, heroes!
- Baine Bloodhoof says: For the Earth Mother!
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: One shot, one kill.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Too easy.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Right to the face!
Stage 6: Raze the Black City
- Assault the demon city.
- Assault the demon city. (0/100%)
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Well, that was invigorating. Now how did they manage to get so many demons here so quickly?
- Thrall says: This invasion is unlike any I have ever witnessed, and I don't think we've seen the last of their surprises.
- Baine Bloodhoof says: These structures rose from the ground in moments, spewing forth demons by the hundreds in the blink of an eye.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: And now we know how to destroy them. It's them or us. Let's keep moving to make sure it's not us.
As the party is about to enter the city, many dead Argent Lightbringers can be seen in a gruesome display. They come across a live but wounded one:
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: This is Argent Crusade insignia, can you speak? Where is the rest of the crusade?
- Argent Lightbringer says: Dead... dying... they descended on us in seconds... nowhere to run...
- Vol'jin says: An no sign of Tirion.
- Thrall yells: We will find him. Horde forces, keep your eyes open for survivors, rescue as many as you are able!
Many of the crusaders are impaled on spikes or put on body piles, but some of them are still alive and can be saved. Start killing demons, freeing trapped crusaders, commandeering unattended cannons, breaking portals, destroying spires, and so on. Don't wander around alone - stick with the friendly NPCs! Freed crusaders will act as guardians to the player. Doom Shrooms, Moongrasses, Chaos Clovers, Bleakthorns and Felblooms are local plants that can be clicked on to provide buffs.
Fill the bar to continue.
Stage 7: The Highlord
- Get to Tirion.
- Vol'jin says: Dey be retreatin'.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: This was too easy, something's wrong.
- Thrall yells: There, across the chasm, Gul'dan! He has Tirion!
- The camera tracks across the chasm and some ways away to find Tirion, suspended over a pit of fel lava by Gul'dan!
- Vol'jin yells: All da Horde, get ta Thrall!
On the other side of the cutscene, all players and NPCs have been teleported to Thrall's position near the chasm. He is forming an earth bridge to clear the gap.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Anyone have any ideas how we're going to get across this thing?
- Thrall says: Spirits of earth, aid me!
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Convenient.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Tirion!
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Gul'dan! You will pay for this!
- Highlord Tirion Fordring says: Stay back... it's a trap... the Light will protect me...
- Gul'dan yells: Hah, you fool! You stand before the temple of a GOD. Your pitiful Light cannot reach you here. How fortunate that your friends have arrived just in time to watch you die.
- Krosus, a boss-level demon, appears from the lava.
- Gul'dan yells: Destroy him.
- Krosus channels some kind of breath attack on Tirion.
- Highlord Tirion Fordring yells: The Light... will... aah! Aaahhhh!!
- Tirion's lifeless corpse falls beneath the surface of the lava pool.
- Thrall yells: Fordring!
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: No!
- Gul'dan yells: All you have worked for, all you have sacrificed, just to see your champions fall to ash one by one.
- Gul'dan yells: Destroy them!
Stage 8: Krosus
- Kill Krosus.
- Krosus slain
- Krosus yells: You will know fear.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Monsters from the felfire! Horde forces, be ready!
Krosus runs through the lava, stopping at the edge of the pool, conveniently in range of melee attacks. As always, let the NPCs tank. The Krosus encounter is a tank-and spank, and Krosus has a Slam attack that damages enemies within ~10 yards or so, an Orb of Destruction that drops a fireball on a ~30-yard radius area of effect, and a channeled Fel Storm that drops fel fireballs all over the arena for a few seconds. Every 25%, he will swap to face the other faction, and the Alliance gets first crack.
At 75%, Krosus turns to attack the Horde.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: He's heading your way, Windrunner!
- Lady Sylvanas Winderunner yells: Let's go, Horde, it's time to show the Alliance how we slay demons.
As the Horde were dealing with trash mobs in the first phase, so now will Alliance deal with trash mobs from 75-50%.
At 50%, Krosus turns back to face the Alliance.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: All yours, Alliance.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: We've got him this time! All forces, concentrate your fire!
Rinse and repeat down to 25%:
- King Varian Wrynn yells: You've got another shot at the kill, Sylvanas!
- Lady Sylvanas Winderunner yells: Consider your job done then, Wrynn.
Clear out the trash mobs, then finish Krosus off.
Final Stage: Hold the Ridge
- Hold the ridge until the Alliance have stopped Gul'dan.
- Ridge held.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Ha, the bigger they are...
- Lady Sylvanas Winderunner yells: No time to gloat, Wrynn. We've got to stop Gul'dan before he summons another one of those things!
Thrall quickly summons another earth bridge to get up to the ridge overlooking Gul'dan. Just on the other side, Varian and Sylvanas pause for a moment.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: We'll take the ridge and cover your flank.
- King Varian Wrynn says: Sylvanas, thank you.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Good luck, Varian.
- King Varian Wrynn says: And you.
At the top of the ridge, a great line of demons approaches as Sylvanas and her dark rangers take up position to support the Alliance as Varian confronts Gul'dan below:
- King Varian Wrynn yells: There is nowhere to run, Gul'dan. Give up now, and I will grant you a swift death.
- Gul'dan yells: Run? Ha. You are right, human. There is nowhere to run from my master. Now, witness the true might of Lord Sargeras!
After the first group of demons is felled, another group spawns. Now, if you approach the demon portal too much you will be insta-killed by the gaze of Sargeras himself, with the message "You feel a staggering presence on the other side of the portal touch you for a moment...".
- Baine Bloodhoof says: Down the ridge behind us, another portal!
- Vol'jin says: We've got ta hold dis ridge, no matter da cost.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Take up positions. We hold them off. We have to.
- Vol'jin says: Even more demons be pouring from that portal. Get ready!
The demonic hordes become even more numerous on the ridge as Varian continues to battle Gul'dan's forces down below:
- King Varian Wrynn yells: We will never fall to you, Gul'dan. The combined forces of Azeroth will triumph today.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Less chatting, Wrynn. Kill him already!
- Gul'dan yells: I have seen the end of your pitiful world, Wrynn. You will perish in felfire, like ten thousand worlds before your own. The legion is ENDLESS.
- Baine Bloodhoof yells: I cannot... take much more of this...
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Pull Baine back to my position, close ranks!
- Thrall yells: There are... too many of them...
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Everyone pull back to me! We make our stand here!
The next wave starts to attack as a cutscene plays, ending the scenario and the quest.
- While Sylvanas and her dark rangers blast felbats out of the sky, a scream from behind her forces her to turn - she sees Thrall lying on the ground, wounded, as Baine kills a felguard nearby and Vol'jin deflects a blow with his short blades.
- Vol'jin: Dere comin' from behind! Cover da flanks!
- As he speaks, a felguard stabs him in the abdomen with its spear.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Warchief!
- Vol'jin smashes through the spear head with his fist, leaving the broken tip embedded in his body, then kills the felguard before collapsing, one tusk breaking off as he hits the ground. Mounting her skeletal horse, Sylvanas rides to his side, pulling him into the saddle. She looks up to see another open portal and nearly endless waves of demons, then looks down to Vol'jin.
- Vol'jin: Do not let da Horde... die... dis day...
- Vol'jin falls unconscious. Closing her eyes, her expression pained, Sylvanas raises a horn to her lips and blows a mighty blast, calling her val'kyr down to save the wounded. Baine carries an unconscious Thrall away as Sylvanas rides back to her ship with Vol'jin in tow. Meanwhile, back in front of the Tomb of Sargeras, the Skyfire comes in to pick up the Alliance survivors, blasting felbats out of the skies.
- Genn Greymane: Without the Horde, we'll be overrun! We must retreat!
- Varian sheathes Shalamayne as another rank of felguards approaches.
- Varian Wrynn: Get everyone to the gunship.
- Genn Greymane: Everyone! FALL BACK!
- Growling in frustration, Varian climbs the rope ladder to the deck. In front of the Tomb of Sargeras, Gul'dan laughs as he raises his staff, opening a portal from above the Tomb, releasing a massive ball of felfire at the Skyfire.
- Genn Greymane: INCOMING! Hard to port!
- The Skyfire moves rapidly to port to avoid the fireball, which explodes on the ground below, shaking the gunship. Varian hangs on for dear life, but several Stormwind guards are knocked off and sent into the flames...from which emerges a massive fel reaver, which grasps the deck of the ship. Greymane shifts back into his human form and holds out his hand.
- Genn Greymane: Varian! Take my hand!
- Stormwind Guard: We can't break free!
- The ship tilts almost 90 degrees as the fel reaver drags it towards the ground. Mekkatorque grabs the opposite railing and those within reach, but many other Stormwind soldiers are seen falling off the ship. Closing his eyes for a moment, Varian makes a decision...
- Genn Greymane: Varian! VARIAN!
- Varian reaches up...and hands Greymane a letter to Anduin, the one he narrated during the Legion introduction.
- Varian Wrynn: Take this... to my son.
- Greymane nods... as Varian leaps from the ladder, sword in hand, and impales the fel reaver through its armored head, breaking its grip on the Skyfire.
- Genn Greymane: Go go go!
- The Skyfire goes to full speed as Varian thrusts the sword completely through the machine's armored head, bringing it crashing and exploding down to the ground. As he regains his bearings, Varian sees Gul'dan, with another rank of felguards approaching. Splitting his blade into Shalla'tor and Ellemayne, Varian begins cutting through the demons, but he is overwhelmed as a felguard slashes him across his back, losing one of the blades...and then he is impaled from behind by two felguards' spears, dropping his other sword, and brought to his knees before Gul'dan.'
- Gul'dan: You will be remembered as the king who sacrificed his life... for NOTHING.
- Breathing heavily, Varian raises his head and glares defiantly at Gul'dan.
- Varian Wrynn: For the Alliance.
- Laughing, Gul'dan begins overloading Varian's body with fel energy. Varian screams as the power overwhelms him, and finally explodes. From the deck of her ship, Sylvanas gazes silently at the shore as she holds the steering wheel, sailing back to Durotar. Discarded on the shoreline, the glow in the hilts of Varian's fallen blades fades and disappears.
Glad to see you back on your feet, <name>. Many good soldiers who sailed for the Broken Shore were not so fortunate.
- +250 reputation with Orgrimmar
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.