The Destruction of Dalaran (WC3 Undead)
The Destruction of Dalaran is the cinematic finale of the Path of the Damned campaign.
In this cinematic Archimonde the Defiler disengages from the Twisting Nether and uses a powerful spell to destroy the magic city of Dalaran. (The subtitles of this cinematic are not part of the video; they are displayed through the cinematic subtitles that appear in-game below the video, or in the case of the DVD, as DVD subtitles.).
- Archimonde draws a sigil on the ground that corresponds with the layout of Dalaran.
- Archimonde: (in Eredun) <Let this scar signify the first blow against the mortal world. From this seal shall arise the doom of men, who, in their arrogance, sought to wield our fire as their own. Blindly they built their kingdoms upon stolen knowledge and conceit. Now they shall be consumed by very flame they thought to control.>
- Archimonde takes the handful of sand and spills it over the seal. The shape of Dalaran city rises from the ground in sand. After a moment, Archimonde reaches through the sand figure of a tower in Dalaran and crushes it. In the distance, the real tower crumbles and falls. Archimonde destroys the rest of the sand buildings and Dalaran is heard collapsing in the background.
- Archimonde: (in Eredun) <Let the echoes of doom resound across this wretched world, that all who live may hear them and despair.>
- The cinematic was originally planned to show infernals smashing the towers of Dalaran, but Chris Metzen considered the use of a sand simulacrum more creative as opposed to just blatant destruction.
- Cinematic Director Nick Carpenter wanted the cinematic to show a lot more detailed shots of the city actually being destroyed, but didn't have enough time.
- The dragonfly that briefly appears at the beginning of the cinematic was added by a group of new developers on the very last day of production.
- The cinematic was given a mostly red and orange color palette in order to give it a detached, dreamlike feeling, similar to Thrall's Vision.
- ^ a b Blizzard Archive 2013-01-18. Warcraft 3 - Writer's Commentary - Destruction of Dalaran. YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-04-24.
- ^ a b Blizzard Archive 2013-01-18. Warcraft 3 - Director's Commentary - Destruction of Dalaran. YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-04-24.