The Dreadlord's Prize
98 - 110 (Requires 98)
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Progress
- 5 Completion
- 6 Gains
- 7 Notes
- 8 Beta version
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Progression
- 11 Patch changes
- 12 External links
- Kathra'natir slain
- Recover the Forge of the Guardian
- Listen to Meryl
Kathra'natir escaped my grasp, but I know what his next step will be.
He seeks an ancient relic called the Forge of the Guardian, used for centuries by the Council of Tirisfal to infuse their power into the Guardian. The forge was hidden away, its location known only to the Council themselves.
Now the dreadlord has this knowledge.
We must go to the Violet Hold. I only hope we are not too late.
We must hurry!
It is clear now that the hall of the Tirisgarde must be rebuilt to face this new threat.
I need your help to accomplish this. First of all, you'll need to know how to get to this hall. I will show you.
- 15,050 XP (level 100)
Upon accepting the quest, Meryl begins running towards the entrance of the Violet Hold.
- Meryl Felstorm says: We must make haste to the Violet Hold. I will explain along the way.
- Meryl Felstorm says: In ages past, the Forge of the Guardian was a source of great power for the Council of Tirisfal.
- Meryl Felstorm says: When the Legion learned of the forge's existence, the Council knew it had to be hidden somewhere safe.
- Meryl Felstorm says: It was secreted to the Violet Hold. Not only was this the most secure location in Dalaran, it was a place few would think to look.
- Meryl Felstorm says: It seems my fears were well-founded! The dreadlord is already inside. We must hurry!
Meryl then walks over to stand next to the Violet Hold Gate. Speaking to him during the quest will yield the following:
- We must make haste to the Violet Hold!
- Kathra'natir must not be allowed access to the Forge of the Guardian!
- What is the Forge of the Guardian?
- The Forge of the Guardian is an artifact of incredible power.
- It was devised by the Archmage Alodi as a method of permanently transferring the arcane power of many mages into the body of one, thus creating a Guardian of Tirisfal.
- The last time it was used was in the time of Aegwynn. Since she refused to return her powers so another Guardian could be imbued, the forge was locked away behind the arcane barriers of the Violet Hold.
- Its location was known only to the Council. That is, until now.
- Wait, who are you again?
- Pardon me, I forget that my name is not well known these days.
- I am Meryl Felstorm, once known as Meryl Winterstorm. I was a founding member of the Council of Tirisfal, but was required to abandon my duties when I became possessed by the dreadlord Kathra'natir. I was able to contain him... for the most part... but the risk was too great for me to remain on the council.
- I have since dedicated my life to finding a way to banish the demon once and for all. It seems I have failed.
Upon walking through the entrance normally leading to the Assault on Violet Hold dungeon, you will be placed in a single-player scenario.
Stage 1: Engage the Enemy
- Help Meryl felstorm battle the dreadlord Kathra'natir.
- Battle with Kathra'natir
Meryl runs in alongside you to confront Kathra'natir, who is overlooking the Forge of the Guardian sitting in the center of the hold.
- Meryl Felstorm yells: It's over, dreadlord. Your evil reign ends here!
- Kathra'natir yells: Pitiful wretch! You should have brought an army! What can one little mage do against the might of the nathrezim?
- Kathra'natir yells: The Forge of the Guardian will be mine!
- Kathra'natir yells: You are pathetic! Your feeble spells cannot stop me!
- Meryl Felstorm says: He's too strong! We need the power of the forge!
Meryl then seals Kathra'natir in a "Tomb of Ice", making him immune to all attacks and spells but also making him unable to attack, move or use spells.
- Meryl Felstorm says: Find a way past his barrier! I'll try to keep him occupied.
Stage 2: The Forge Restrained
- Destroy the Siphoning Rifts that are draining the Forge of the Guardian of its power.
- Void Barrier passed
- Siphoning Rift slain (4)
The path to the stairs behind the dreadlord is blocked by a barrier that will knock you back if you attempt to run or jump past it, so use to get past. After 90 seconds, if players have not figured out how to get past, the game provides a hint:
After passing the barrier:
- Kathra'natir yells: You will not escape so easily, little mage!
- Meryl Felstorm says: Nice work! Now destroy the rifts siphoning power from the forge!
Destroy the four Siphoning Rifts spread around the room. They have a Void Bolt ability and around 162,000 health (at level 100).
Stage 3: The Power of the Guardians
- Activate the Forge of the Guardian.
- Activate the Forge of the Guardian
- Meryl Felstorm says: It's working! Activate the forge!
Upon activating the forge, the next stage begins.
Stage 4: The Dreadlord's Downfall
- Use the power granted by the Forge of the Guardian to defeat Kathra'natir.
- Kathra'natir defeated
An immense orb of arcane energy forms above the Forge and begins channeling energy into you as you are lifted up in the air.
- Alodi says: Take my power, champion! Banish this demon back from whence it came!
When you land back on the ground, you have been granted the "Mark of the Guardian" buff, which increases damage dealt by 1,000% and causes your character to glow with transparent blue light and be surrounded by shifting magical runes.
Meanwhile, Kathra'natir has broken free from his icy prison and begun strangling Meryl in mid-air with shadow magic.
- Kathra'natir yells: I've had enough of you, Felstorm. Prepare to meet your end!
- Meryl Felstorm says: I could... use a little... help here!
Upon attacking the dreadlord, Meryl is freed.
- Meryl Felstorm yells: Now's our chance! Let's bring him down!
With the 1,000% damage increase, it should only take one or a few spells to kill Kathra'natir. As in the first phase, keep spellstealing his Vampiric Aura and counterspelling his Drain Life if needed. Additionally, either use when Kathra'natir launches players up in the air, or just before hitting the ground.
Upon killing Kathra'natir, he says:
- Kathra'natir yells: Fool! The Legion will know your secrets...
- Kathra'natir yells: Count your days, mage. I will return!
Stage 5: A Small Victory
- Listen to Meryl Felstorm.
- Listen to Meryl
- Meryl Felstorm says: It is done. Thank you, hero.
After defeating the nathrezim, you are lifted back into the air as the Mark of the Guardian is channeled back into another arcane orb. Once the channeling has finished, the orb disappears and Alodi appears in its place.
- Meryl Felstorm says: Alodi!
- Alodi says: It is good to see you, old friend. Though I wish it were under better circumstances.
- Alodi says: The dreadlord's defeat is only temporary. Once he regains his strength in the Twisting Nether, he will seek the forge again.
- Meryl Felstorm says: Then I know what must be done...
Final Stage: Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe
- Help Meryl Felstorm and Alodi to transport the Forge of the Guardian to a safe location.
- Transport the Forge of the Guardian
Alodi and Meryl run down towards the forge and begins channeling a teleportation spell.
- Meryl Felstorm says: Alodi, we need your help. We must take the Forge of the Guardian to a safer location.
- Meryl Felstorm says: We will need its might if we are to defeat the Burning Legion.
Interact with the forge to help the two Tirisfalen transport the forge. Upon doing this, you exit the scenario and are transported to the Hall of the Guardian.
- Alodi says: The Hall of the Guardian! It pains me to see it in such disrepair.
- Meryl Felstorm says: The hall hasn't seen any use since the disbanding of the Council of Tirisfal [sic]
- Meryl Felstorm says: The wards protecting this place are still strong. I think it will serve our needs.
- Alodi says: And what is your plan?
- Meryl Felstorm says: I shall reform the Tirisgarde. And this mage will be its first champion.
- Meryl Felstorm says: What say, you, <name>?
Speak with Meryl to turn in the quest.
The subject of this section did not make it out of the beta stages.
Kathra'natir escaped from my grasp, but I know where he plans to go.
There is an ancient relic, the Forge of the Guardian, which has been used by the Council of Tirisfal for centuries to imbue the Guardian of Tirisfal with their power. The location of the forge is hidden, known only to the Council themselves.
Now, the dreadlord has this knowledge. We must go to the Violet Hold. I only hope we are not too late.
It is clear now that it must be rebuilt to face this new threat.
I will need your help to accomplish this. First of all, you'll need to know how to get to this hall. I will show you.
- "Keep it secret, keep it safe" is a reference to The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, in which Gandalf speaks the line to Frodo in regards to the One Ring. (This is a slightly altered version of the quote from the original novel, in which it is instead "keep it safe, and keep it secret").
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.