|Location||Scarred Vale, Siege of Orgrimmar|
- 1 Background
- 2 Overview
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Loot
- 6 Related Achievements
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Speculation
- 10 Patches and hotfixes
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The Golden Lotus and Shado-Pan guardians of the Vale of Eternal Blossoms were caught in the epicenter of the devastating blast that scarred the Vale, and torn apart by the dark energies. Their spirits linger in the place they once protected, confused and tormented by their failure.
Once we decided to permanently change the face of Pandaria by having the power unleashed by Garrosh ruin the eastern half of the Vale, a natural query was what would become of the beloved Golden Lotus questgivers who had steadfastly tended to the Vale throughout the expansion. This encounter answers that question—you may earn some epic items from the Golden Lotus one final time.
Players battle the brewmaster Rook Stonetoe, the rogue He Softfoot, and the priest Sun Tenderheart, as the three Fallen Protectors assault the raid simultaneously. At 66% and 33% health remaining, each Protector performs Desperate Measures, manifesting spirits of fallen allies to bring new and powerful attacks to bear against the raid until those spirits are defeated.
- Each Protector channels Bond of the Golden Lotus at 1% health remaining, and will recover unless all three are defeated at once.
- Defeat the dark manifestations summoned by each Protector's Desperate Measures to end that phase.
- During Rook's Desperate Measures, interrupt Embodied Gloom's Corruption Shock.
- Dispel Sun Tenderheart's Shadow Word: Bane quickly before it spreads.
- During Sun Tenderheart's Desperate Measures, her Dark Meditation inflicts sustained damage to the entire raid.
- If tanking Rook Stonetoe, position him carefully so that his Vengeful Strikes do not damage the raid.
- If tanking He Softfoot, turn your back when he performs Gouge to avoid being incapacitated.
- Bond of the Golden Lotus — Rook Stonetoe, He Softfoot, and Sun Tenderheart share a spiritual bond, linking their fates to each other. Upon reaching 1% health, each of them will begin to cast Bond of the Golden Lotus if any of the other Protectors are still in combat, restoring 20% of maximum heath upon completion. Bringing all three Protectors to 1% health simultaneously will restore clarity to their clouded minds.
- Desperate Measures — Rook Stonetoe calls upon the spirits of his closest friends, which form Embodied Misery, Embodied Sorrow, and Embodied Gloom. These spirits continue their attacks against players until all three are slain.
- Vengeful Strikes — Rook Stonetoe enters an offensive stance, stunning his target and inflicting 34% weapon damage in a frontal cone twice per second for 3 sec.
- Corrupted Brew — Rook Stonetoe hurls a keg of Corrupted Brew at a distant target, inflicting 125,000 Shadow damage to enemies within 5 yards and slowing targets hit by 50% for 15 sec.
- Clash — Rook Stonetoe clashes against an enemy, charging each other and meeting halfway. Rook Stonetoe then immediately begins to perform Corruption Kick.
- Defiled Ground — Embodied Misery smashes the ground with fervor, inflicting 350,000 Physical damage to enemies within 7 yards of the current target. This column burns into the ground, inflicting 100,000 Shadow damage every second to enemies within 7 yards.
- Inferno Strike — Embodied Sorrow inflicts massive Fire damage at his highest threat target, dividing 1,200,000 damage among targets within 8 yards.
- Residual Burn — Secondary targets are afflicted with Residual Burn, taking 500% increased damage from Inferno Strike for until cancelled.
- Corruption Shock — Embodied Gloom hurls a bolt of corrupted lightning at an enemy's location, inflicting 200,000 Nature damage to all enemies within 4 yards.
- Corruption Chain — On Heroic difficulty, Corruption Chain replaces Corruption Shock. Embodied Gloom hurls a bolt of corrupted lightning at an enemy, inflicting 150,000 Nature damage and chaining to enemies within 10 yards.
- Shared Torment — Embodied Misery, Sorrow, and Gloom share health.
- Desperate Measures — He Softfoot calls upon the spirit of his brother, forming Embodied Anguish, a manifestation that fixates upon the raid member who has the Mark of Anguish. This spirit continues to attack players until it is slain.
- Mark of Anguish — Mark of Anguish periodically inflicts 50,000 Shadow damage every second and roots the target. The Marked player gains the ability to transfer the Mark to another friendly player. Embodied Angush's gaze moves to a random target upon killing his current target.
- Shadow Weakness — When Embodied Anguish strikes targets, he applies Shadow Weakness, increasing damage taken by Mark of Anguish. Additionally, passing the Mark of Anguish applies one Shadow Weakness to all players. This effect stacks.
- Debilitation — Possessing the Mark of Anguish debilitates targets, decreasing their armor by 50% for 2 min.
- Garrote — Traveling through the shadows, He Softfoot Garrotes the target, inflicting 80,000 Physical damage every 2 sec.
- Gouge — He Softfoot attempts to gouge the eyes of his target, incapacitating them for 6 sec and fixating on a random target until taunted. If the target is facing away, Gouge will instead knock them away a short distance.
- Master Poisoner — He Softfoot is a Master Poisoner and occasionally coats his weapons with various types of poisons. In Heroic Difficulty, Master Poisoner abilities also take effect when using Garrote or Fixate.
- Noxious Poison — He Softfoot coats his weapon in a Noxious Poison, causing successful melee attacks to create pools of poison on the ground, inflicting 75,000 Nature damage every second. These pools may be jumped over.
- Instant Poison — He Softfoot coats his weapon in an Instant Poison, causing successful melee attacks to inflict 75,000 additional Nature damage.
- Desperate Measures — Sun Tenderheart calls upon the spirits of her protectors, forming Embodied Despair and Embodied Desperation. These spirits continue their attacks against players until both are slain.
- Dark Meditation — Sun Tenderheart enters a Dark Meditation, inflicting Shadow damage to all enemies every half second. Players take 35% less damage when inside her Meditative Field. Players at a distance greater than 40 yards take increased damage.
- Manifest Emotions — Embodied Despair and Embodied Desperation focus their negative emotions, creating Sha manifestations which attack players. Any damage taken by Manifest Emotions will also be suffered by the creature that spawned them.
- Meditation Spike — Fires a bolt of dark energy that inflicts 300,000 Shadow damage upon impact to enemies within 6 yards.
- Sha Sear — Causes an explosion of Shadow magic around the target, inflicting increasing Shadow damage every second to all enemies within 5 yards around the target.
- Shadow Word: Bane — Expels a word of misery upon multiple targets, inflicting 100,000 Shadow damage every 3 sec for 18 sec. Each time this effect deals damage, it will jump to an additional target, up to a total of 3 times.
- Calamity — Calls forth a great Calamity, striking all players for 30% of their maximum health as Shadow damage. This also removes Shadow Word: Bane from all targets. Calamity increases in magnitude by an additional 10% of maximum health each additional time it is cast.
This is a two tank fight and can be two healed if geared and confident, but the enrage timer is generous so three healing is easily do-able, with an even mix of dps.
Rook is tanked facing away from the group to avoid the damage from his Vengeful Strikes. Dps and healers need to watch out for his Corrupted Brew. By itself the damage is negligible, but coupled with his Corruption Kick or Sun's Calamity the damage can ramp up quickly.
Softfoot is tanked on top of Sun to allow cleave damage until he activates Noxious Poisons at which point the tank pulls him away from the middle and kites him around the room till it expires, making sure to always turn away and run a short distance when he casts Gouge.
Sun does not need to be tanked and ranged and healers should be spread loosely to avoid the damage from her Sha Sear. Bane should be cleansed as soon as possible to avoid it jumping to additional targets.
Rook is targetted first to 66% at which point Misery, Sorrow and Gloom will spawn. The Rook tank picks up Misery (which is killed last), He's tank picks up Gloom (which is killed second), while Sorrow is burned down. Those marked with Inferno Strike should run into melee to split the damage. If there're not enough melee to compensate a meeting point can be designated. A dps which low cd interrupts should be assigned to help the He tank keep Gloom locked down to avoid having to burden the healers with Corruption Shock. After both Sorrow and Gloom are down, melee should jump on He, while ranged focus on Misery. This is to avoid any extra damage if people are slow in getting out of Defiled Ground.
He should be close to 66% at this point which will cause Embodied Anguish to spawn. Anguish marks a random player with inflicts 50k damage to it's target every second while also increasing their vulnerability to damage from anguish itself. If the marked person is one with strong personal cds (frost mage, DK, etc.) they CAN keep the mark for a period of time while the rest of the raid burns it down before passing it, but most times it is best to simply pass it off to the He tank as quickly as possible. Again the tank should position himself on top of Sun to keep damage on her.
Once Anguish is dealt with and He respawns next is Sun. Tanks need to watch their timers here as it would be bad to enter Sun's Dark Meditation field while Rook is casting Vengeful Strikes or He has Noxious Poisons active. The main focus of Sun's Desperate Measures is to stay inside her field as much as possible while aoeing down the adds Despair and Desperation send against you. Cd's should be used liberally if damage starts to ramp up (as if Rook casts Corruption Kick).
From then it's just a matter of rinse and repeat with getting Rook, then He, then Sun to 33% then to 0%. Once you get past Sun's 33% Desperate Measures it is vitally important that everyone is aware of how much health each boss has. Once one hits 1% you have ten seconds to bring the other two down as well otherwise the currently defeated mob will heal to 20%.
Achievement: Go Long
Earning takes place during He's Deperate Measures phase (when the Embodied Anguish is active). At least five raid members (perhaps more) should stand in a circular shape and pass the Embodied Anguish between them over a total distance of 200 yards or more before passing it off to the He tank. The maximum range for passing Embodied Anguish is 40 yards, so it is doable with 5 raid members with careful planning.
The raid should however keep in mind that incoming damage will ramp up the more times that Embodied Anguish is passed, due to Shadow Weakness stacking up.
|( · · )||Plate shoulder||Strength DPS|
|Death Lotus Crossbow ( · · )||Crossbow||Agility DPS|
|Gaze of Echoing Despair ( · · )||Plate head||Spirit|
|Gloomwrap Greatcloak ( · · )||Back||Strength tank|
|Grips of the Fallen Council ( · · )||Plate hands||Spirit|
|Grips of Unending Anguish ( · · )||Mail hands||Agility DPS|
|Lifebane Bracers ( · · )||Cloth wrist||Spirit|
|Petrified Pennyroyal Ring ( · · )||Finger||Intellect DPS|
|Poisonbinder Girth ( · · )||Plate waist||Strength DPS|
|Purehearted Cricket Cage ( · · )||Held In Off-hand||Spirit|
|Robes of the Tendered Heart ( · · )||Cloth chest||Intellect DPS|
|Rook's Unlucky Talisman ( · · )||Trinket||-AoE damage|
|Sabatons of Defilement ( · · )||Mail feet||Spirit|
|Sha-Seared Sandals ( · · )||Cloth feet||Intellect DPS|
|Shockstriker Gauntlets ( · · )||Plate hands||Strength tank|
|Shoulderguards of Dark Meditations ( · · )||Mail shoulder||Spirit|
|( · · )||Cloth shoulder||Intellect DPS|
|Shoulders of the Roiling Inferno ( · · )||Leather shoulder||Spirit|
|Softfoot's Last Resort ( · · )||Fist weapon (1H)||Agility DPS|
|Sorrowpath Signet ( · · )||Finger||Strength DPS|
|Stonetoe's Tormented Treads ( · · )||Leather feet||Agility DPS|
- yells: Can it be...? Oh no, no no no no no.
- Lorewalker Cho yells: The Golden Lotus... they pledged their lives to defend this place.
- Rook Stonetoe yells: You... Rook knows you...
- Lorewalker Cho yells: Yes! Rook Stonetoe! You remember me! What has happened to you?
- Rook Stonetoe yells: Rook... does not know... Head... is cloudy...
- Sun Tenderheart yells: We know only despair now. A fitting punishment for our failure...
- Lorewalker Cho yells: I see. This sha energy has trapped their spirits here, to endlessly relive their failure. It feeds on their despair.
- Rook Stonetoe yells: Please... help...
- Lorewalker Cho yells: This is a fate far worse than death - please, heroes! Set their souls free!
- Rook Stonetoe yells: Sun... He... aid me.
- Sun Tenderheart yells: Will you succeed where we have failed?
- He Softfoot nods to his foes.
- Corruption Kick
- Rook Stonetoe yells: Brawl... with Rook.
- Sun Tenderheart yells: You will suffer from our failure.
- Desperate Measures
- Rook Stonetoe yells: Rook... needs help!
- Sun Tenderheart yells: Protectors, come to my aid!
- He Softfoot signals for help.
- Killed a Player
- Rook Stonetoe yells: You... are not my friend.
- Sun Tenderheart yells: You too have failed.
- Sun Tenderheart yells: We will never find solace.
- Bond of the Golden Lotus casting
- Rook Stonetoe yells: Rook... not safe...
- Sun Tenderheart yells: We have not fulfilled our oath!
- He Softfoot enters a meditative pose to heal his wounds.
- Bond of the Golden Lotus finished casting
- Rook Stonetoe yells: Rook fight!
- Sun Tenderheart yells: We must redeem the Vale.
- He Softfoot squints menacingly.
- Souls freed
- Rook Stonetoe yells: Feeling... better now... Thank you... little friend.
- Sun Tenderheart yells: We return to when we lost our way. You... are very kind.
- Lorewalker Cho yells: Be at peace, dear friends.
- Lorewalker Cho yells: May your souls become one with the land you gave your life to protect.
The bodies the Fallen Protectors use for their Desperate Measures adds clearly resemble the Golden Lotus forces, yet several of them, including , Anji and all appear alive in the Ruins Rise and Setting Sun Garrison. Ion Hazzikostas later clarified that the Desperate Measures spirits are merely "projections of negative emotions" and not corrupted protectors.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2014-04-28): "Resolved an issue where movement-freeing abilities incorrectly forced Mark of Anguish to transfer to another player."
- Hotfix (2013-10-29): "Resolved an issue that prevented players that have died during the encounter from receiving credit for the Go Long achievement."
- Hotfix (2013-10-02): "Sun Tenderheart's Shadow Word: Bane no longer has a slight delay before applying its damage."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Added.
|He Softfoot||Rook Stonetoe||Sun Tenderheart|