|Title||The Banished One|
|Race||Eternal One (Humanoid)|
|Occupation||Jailer of Torghast|
|Location||Torghast, the Maw|
Zovaal, better known as the Jailer, is one of the Eternal Ones of the Shadowlands. He rules the terrible realm known as the Maw. Very little is known about him, since nothing has ever escaped the Maw, and no one has ever seen the Jailer himself—or lived to tell the tale.
Long ago, Zovaal was a member of the Eternal Ones, but his brothers were forced to imprison him within the inescapable Maw for his treachery. The Primus believes that Zovaal did not act alone in his betrayal back then, and that he had some ancient allies. The Heart of the Forest in Ardenweald was used to ensure the Maw would be inescapable and that Zovaal would remain bound forever. The Jailer imprisoned the Runecarver and used him to craft something, implied to be Frostmourne and the Helm of Domination.
Sylvanas Windrunner allied with the Jailer after the events of Edge of Night, and the two have been working toward a common end for some time. As she fed the Maw with new souls, both she and the Jailer have grown more powerful. Once, the Jailer kept only the most dangerous souls in the cosmos confined in the eternal prison of Torghast. Now, some of Azeroth's greatest heroes are trapped here, as he expends their very souls. With his bindings broken, the Jailer intends to reclaim what was once his. He also has his sights set on the soul of Azeroth.
- Odyn sacrificed his eye to one of the Jailer's associates in exchange for the ability to peer into the Shadowlands and obtain its powers.
- Despite fan speculation, the Jailer is intended to be a new character and is not someone that players have met before (such as Arthas, Argus or Helya). Steve Danuser has described him as an important part of the Warcraft cosmology.
- Ion Hazzikostas has described the Jailer as a "titan-level" or "titan plus plus level" antagonist.
- The Jailer was first seen in the Shadowlands reveal trailer at BlizzCon 2019, in which only a silhouette of his body is shown. In late November 2019, an alleged piece of concept art of the Jailer where the Jailer's design matches the one in the trailer was shared by the Youtuber Pyromancer, sent to him in a private message after previously posted on Twitter. The Jailer's in-game model, however, looks drastically different from both of these depictions, notably lacking the hair and armor he was originally depicted with. When asked about this in April 2020, Ion Hazzikostas stated that the difference in design between the original trailer and his in-game model was not because of any story reasons but simply because Blizzard had not finalized the Jailer's design by the time the trailer was released at BlizzCon.
- In the alpha, one ID and the early version of The Upper Reaches referred to the Jailer as "Zovaal the Jailer". These instances were removed and replaced, but his name remains canonical as it is still used in other quests or subzones.
- The Jailor shares similarities with Dante's Satan from Dante's Divine Comedy.
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.
- ^ a b
- ^ a b c Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: What's Next. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. World of Warcraft: What’s Next Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b c d Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-02. BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: Q&A. Retrieved on 2019-11-03. (MMO-Champion transcript/Wowhead transcript)
- ^ a b Jez Corden 2020-07-09. World of Warcraft Shadowlands interview: Customization, progression, balance, and more with Ion Hazzikostas. Windows Central. Archived from the original on 2020-07-14.
- ^ a b perculia 2020-07-09. The Final Boss of Shadowlands. Wowhead. Archived from the original on 2020-07-09.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Shadowlands - Home. Retrieved on 2019-11-03.
- ^ Steve Danuser and Frank Kowalkowski with The Lost Codex
- ^ The Legend of Odyn
- ^ BlizzCon 2019 | World of Warcraft: What's Next | Full Panel
- ^ Stan 2019-11-27. WoW Shadowlands: The Jailer's Identity Revealed in Early Concept Art. Icy Veins. Retrieved on 2020-07-03.
- ^ ZoltanTV 2020-04-28. Interview Ion Hazzikostas SHADOWLANDS (04:00). YouTube. Retrieved on 2020-06-27.
- ^ Zovaal's Cauldron