|This article concerns content exclusive to Shadowlands and is subject to change at any time as development progresses.
This article should only contain officially released content, such as beta and press release content. See Wowpedia's policy on posting unreleased content.
|Occupation||Jailer of Torghast|
|Location||Torghast, the Maw|
The Jailer is an ancient being who rules the realm known as the Maw in the Shadowlands. Very little is known about him, since nothing has ever escaped the Maw and no one has ever seen the Jailer himself—or at least, no one has seen him and lived to tell the tale. Sylvanas Windrunner allied with the Jailer after the events of Edge of Night, and the two have been working toward a common end for some time. As she fed the Maw with new souls, both she and the Jailer have grown more powerful. Once, the Jailer kept only the most dangerous souls in the cosmos confined in the eternal prison of Torghast. Now, some of Azeroth's greatest heroes are trapped here, as he expends their very souls.
- He was described in the BlizzCon 2019 What's Next panel as one of the "lords of death".
- Odyn sacrificed his eye to one of the Jailer's associates in exchange for the ability to peer into the Shadowlands and obtain its powers.
- Despite fan speculation, the Jailer is intended to be a new character and is not someone that players have met before (such as Arthas, Argus or Helya). Steve Danuser has described him as an important part of the Warcraft cosmology.
- The Jailer was first seen in the Shadowlands reveal trailer at BlizzCon 2019, in which only a silhouette of his body is shown. In late November 2019, the YouTuber Pyromancer leaked an alleged piece of concept art of the Jailer where his design matches the one in the trailer. The Jailer's in-game model, however, looks drastically different from both of these depictions, notably lacking the crown and shoulderpads he was originally depicted with. When asked about this in April 2020, Ion Hazzikostas stated that the difference in appearance was because Blizzard had not finalized the Jailer's design by the time the trailer was released at BlizzCon. He added that there is no story reason for the difference in appearance.
- The Jailer may also have been the 'dark one' who Ephial served.
- Patch 9.0.1 (TBD): Added.
- ^ a b c Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: What's Next. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. World of Warcraft: What’s Next Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b c d Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-02. BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: Q&A. Retrieved on 2019-11-03. (MMO-Champion transcript/Wowhead transcript)
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Shadowlands - Home. Retrieved on 2019-11-03.
- ^ Final Boss of Shadowlands
- ^ Steve Danuser and Frank Kowalkowski with The Lost Codex
- ^ The Legend of Odyn
- ^ Stan 2019-11-27. WoW Shadowlands: The Jailer's Identity Revealed in Early Concept Art. Icy Veins. Retrieved on 2020-07-03.
- ^ ZoltanTV 2020-04-28. Interview Ion Hazzikostas SHADOWLANDS (04:00). YouTube. Retrieved on 2020-06-27.