The Mage Hunter
98 - 110 (Requires 98)
15,050 (level 100)
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Progress
- 5 Completion
- 6 Notes
- 7 Progression
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 External links
And with that, we have what we need to recreate the ritual... however flawed it may be. It must be conducted somewhere highly visible so that word reaches our target swiftly.
The chances of us dying horribly are exceptionally high.
- 15,050 XP
Do you have it?
Your ability continues to astound me! Balaadur lies dead in his own realm, and you now wield Ebonchill. I look forward to seeing what you will do next.
- Meryl Felstorm says: I will arrange transportation at Krasus' Landing. Talk to the flight master when you are ready.
- Meryl runs over and uses the portal to Krasus' Landing.
- Alodi says: While I do not have the same strength outside of Dalaran, I will be with you "in spirit," as it were.
Follow Meryl to Krasus' Landing and speak to Aludane Whitecloud.
- Are you ready to fly? You'll have our fastest mount.
- Meryl Felstorm says you have a ride for me to Faronaar.
You are then automatically flown on a Dalaran Hippogryph to Faronaar off the western coast of Azsuna, where you are then placed in a single-player scenario.
Stage 1: Preparations
- Meryl is here preparing for the assault. Speak with him and Alodi to begin preparations.
- Speak with Meryl and Alodi
Meryl is standing amidst several slain demons and begins talking to you as the hippogryph drops you off.
- Meryl Felstorm says: Ah, you've arrived! I've already begun. I trust Alodi is with you?
- Alodi says: I'm here, though my powers are weakened so far from the hall.
- Meryl Felstorm says: Do what you can, old friend. Welcome to Faronaar, a key invasion point for the Legion!
- Meryl bows before starting to walk southeast.
- Meryl Felstorm says: While I distract the defenders below, you will setup the ritual wards at key locations.
- Meryl pauses and casts a spell on you.
- Meryl Felstorm says: Here's a spell that will conjure the wards. Three should be sufficient.
- Meryl Felstorm says: When you are done, meet me at the Altar of End Times. Its location should be obvious. Good luck!
- Meryl salutes you and then teleports away.
Stage 2: Placing the Wards
- The Fel Dampening Wards must be placed at highly visible locations to be seen. Fight to the locations, setup the wards, and defend them.
- Wards set up (3)
Spread around Faronaar are three designated locations that, once interacted with, causes you to channel a "Conjuring" spell for six seconds, after which a Fel Dampening Ward appears along with three Arcane Guardians. Alodi has something to say about each of the three locations:
- Alodi says: Filthy demons! They feed upon the blue dragonflight! Have all the defenders fallen?
- Alodi says: That Legion vessel looming above shows what's at stake. Truly this is a fight to save our world!
- Alodi says: Here is good. This is what the Council was supposed to prevent. How could it have gone so wrong?!
Stage 3: The Altar of End Times
- The wards are activated, it is time to begin the ritual. Go to the Altar of End Times and speak with Meryl Felstorm.
- Go to the center of the Altar of End Times
- Activate the Ritual Focus
Head to the center of the Altar of End Times, directly below the enormous Legion vessel hovering above.
- Meryl Felstorm says: You've done it! I can feel arcane levels rising in the area. The demons have pulled back for the moment. I'd wager they plan to hit us hard.
- Meryl begins walking around the altar, placing four large Mana Gems.
- Meryl Felstorm says: The next part is tricky. We will start the ritual here to draw all that power. As we do, it's likely we'll be attacked. I'll begin placing the Mana Gems.
- Meryl Felstorm says: You will channel on the Ritual Focus. Once we gather sufficient magic, I expect we will get Balaadur's attention.
- Meryl Felstorm says: Prepare yourself, conjurer. I don't expect Balaadur to give us a particularly warm welcome.
- Meryl summons a Ritual Focus in the center of the altar.
- Meryl Felstorm says: There... all the components are in place. Activate the Ritual Focus when you are ready.
Stage 4: The Great Ritual
- Use the Ritual Focus whenever possible to complete the ritual.
- Use the Ritual Focus whenever possible to complete the ritual.
- Meryl Felstorm says: Good! Concentrate on building the Ritual Focus. I will do what I can to support you.
A percentage bar appears in the scenario objective listing in the UI. To fill it up to 100%, you need to keep channeling into the Ritual Focus. However, this will also cause packs of demons to spawn and attack you.
- Meryl Felstorm yells: Here they come! I could use a bit of help!
After defeating a pack, Meryl tells you to go back to channeling.
- Meryl Felstorm yells: Superb casting! Get back to the Focus. I'll keep an eye out.
Upon getting the bar past 20%:
- Meryl Felstorm yells: The power is building. They will know we are doing something momentous. Another group incoming, assist me!
- Meryl Felstorm yells: That demon is Vadina, one of Valadors[sic] enforcers. I think we have his attention. Aid me!
- Meryl Felstorm yells: The death of his enforcer should send the right message. Finish the ritual, he's sure to attack soon.
At 87%, you are suddenly knocked back and stunned for 10 seconds as the Focus is destroyed and a fel portal opens in its place.
- Meryl Felstorm yells: Look out!
- Balaadur yells: Did you really think your ploy would work? Come to me, little mage!
You are then automatically pulled in the portal and transported to the Realm of the Mage Hunter, where a short cutscene begins to play.
- Balaadur, Hunter of Mages, is overlooking a fel pit with Ebonchill in hand.
- Balaadur yells: For your insolence, your end will be painful and slow!
- The eredar turns around towards the camera and roars.
- The cutscene ends.
Stage 5: Showdown in the Realm of Madness
- Balaadur has swept you up into his realm. Slay the eredar lord.
- Slay Balaadur.
Be careful not to burst-damage Balaadur. Try to slowly get him to approximately 40%.
- Balaadur yells: This display is meaningless! Your doom is at hand!
At roughly 40% health, an arcane explosion erupts around Balaadur as Ebonchill escapes from his hands and lands a short distance away.
- Alodi yells: Never again will you use Ebonchill to kill a mage, demon!
- Balaadur yells: Bah! I need no meager weapon to destroy you!
At roughly 20%:
- Balaadur yells: You possess the might of an archmage! But I'm not out of tricks yet...
- Balaadur yells: Your world... will... fall...
Final Stage: Ebonchill
- Ebonchill lies near the fallen demon. Claim it for your own.
- Claim Ebonchill
After equipping and looting Ebonchill, a portal back to the Altar of End Times opens.
- Meryl Felstorm yells: The portal is closing! Get out of there!
Returning to the Altar:
- Meryl Felstorm says: Well done! Let's go before reinforcements arrive. I'll open a portal back to the hall.
- Meryl opens a portal back to the Hall of the Guardian, after which he steps through it himself.
Follow Meryl back to the hall and speak with him to turn in the quest.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.