The Nexus Vault (mage)
98 - 110 (Requires 98)
15,050 (level 100)
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Completion
- 5 Gains
- 6 Notes
- 7 Progression
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 External links
Defeat Nexus-Prince Bilaal and claim Aluneth, Greatstaff of the Magna.
- Nexus-Prince Bilaal slain
We have not always seen eye to eye, Azuregos and I, but he is still my kin. Since you seek to put an end to the ethereals and claim Aluneth, I ask that you also free my brother from their grip.
You have my gratitude for saving Azuregos, <name>. I can rest easy knowing that the Nexus is under his care.
As for you, I can see you're full of surprises. Never in my time have I seen a mage who can control the chaotic energies of Aluneth.
Thank you for what you have done for me and my kind today. You are truly the hero we need to face the Legion.
- 15,050 XP (level 100)
- Archmage Kalec says: The Nexus Vault lies deep beneath the main spire. You will find its entrance in the lowest chamber of the spire's base.
- Archmage Kalec says: The volatile energies within the Nexus seem to be interfering with the image crystal.
- Archmage Kalec says: I fear you may be on your own from here. Good luck!
Entering the portal that normally leads to the Nexus dungeon will place you in a single-player scenario which takes place in the Beyond, an altered version of the Nexus similar to the version seen during the questline.
Stage 1: The Azure Prisoner
- Free Azuregos from the ethereals.
- Azuregos Freed
- Azuregos says: So the lock on the Nexus has been broken, and by a common <race>, no less. Will wonders never cease?
- Azuregos says: If you've come to engage me in battle in hopes of obtaining some spurious trinket, I'm afraid you're too late.
- Azuregos says: The Ethereum have taken the bite out of this old dragon, and I fear they have robbed me of anything you would deem useful.
- Azuregos says: If it's looting you desire, as your kind so often does, then I suggest taking the fight to them.
- Azuregos says: Wait, are you here after them? In that case, I could use a hand...
Stage 2: Seeking Answers
- Reach the Librarium to find a way into the Nexus Vault.
- Reach the Librarium
- Find a way into the vault
- Azuregos rises to a standing position.
- Azuregos says: You seem quite capable, mage. With their magics gone, I feel my strength returning.
- Azuregos says: I assume you come seeking the Nexus Vault. Why else would anyone return to this place?
- Azuregos says: Unfortunately, access to the vault is proving... difficult. If you help me access the Librarium, I will find a way through. We must not let the Ethereum obtain the artifacts it holds!
- Azuregos says: But first, I think I'll slip into a more comfortable form. These halls were never quite spacious enough for my tastes.
- Azuregos shifts into the form of a high elf and starts following you around.
- Azuregos says: Shall we?
Head directly west and kill (or avoid) the second pack of Illusory Wyrmlings. An icy barrier is blocking the way into the Hall of Stasis, but when you and Azuregos approach the barrier shatters. Trails of arcane energy are spread out across the floor of the hall and bursts of energy are constantly bombarding the ground.
- Azuregos says: The Nexus Vault is weakening! That arcane energy can only mean Aluneth is no longer fully contained.
- Azuregos says: It is a most potent and chaotic weapon. It will lash out at us as we try to approach. Be prepared.
Avoid getting hit as you make your way to the Hall of Stasis, where arcane energy is blanketing much of the ground. Azuregos automatically begins levitating above the floor.
- Azuregos says: The ground is blanketed by unstable energy. You might not want to step on that...
Once at the Librarium, Azuregos stops levitating and runs to the center of the chamber.
- Azuregos says: We're here. Now, let me see if I can find a way into the vault...
- Azuregos says: As I suspected! The entrance to the vault was broken off when Malygos breached the Twisting Nether during the Nexus Wars.
- Azuregos says: I feel the powers it holds resonating through the Nexus. There must be another way to reach the vault!
- Azuregos says: A-ha! That's... wait a moment... the energy from the vault is surging. Brace yourself!
Stage 3: Echoes of Ancient Power
- Defeat the Echo of Aluneth.
- Echo of Aluneth defeated
Stage 4: The Way Out is Through
- Reach the Rift.
- Reach the Rift
- Azuregos says: That was too close! If the weapon goes unchecked much longer, it will bring this whole place down around us!
- Azuregos says: Quickly! We must head to the rift. It's the only way!
Two Voidtouched Nexus-Stalkers run in and block the path towards the Rift, while a Voidtouched Channeler stands further back. Kill them both and proceed to the edge of the Rift. In the far distance, near the Rift itself, Nexus-Prince Bilaal is floating above the platform and channeling void energy into himself.
- Azuregos says: Wait... didn't there used to be a bridge here?
- Nexus-Prince Bilaal yells: Fools! You may have destroyed the Surge Needles, but you are too late to stop us! The power of Aluneth will rip open the breach!
- Azuregos says: Oh great, more ethereals...
- Azuregos says: It looks like they're channeling the energy from the vault into the breach. This is not good.
- Azuregos says: Come! Time to show these ethereals that I still have a bit of fight left in me!
Stage 5: Consumed by Void
- Defeat Nexus-Prince Bilaal.
- Nexus-Prince Bilaal Defeated
Azuregos jumps into the air and transforms back into his dragon form. Jump up on his back to ride to Bilaal's location. During the flight, the following occurs:
- Azuregos says: I will bring whatever power I have to bear against the Nexus-Prince, mage. But in my weakened state, it falls upon you to finish this threat.
- Azuregos says: I hope you are prepared!
- Nexus-Prince Bilaal yells: You are too late, interlopers. Nothing can stop me now!
- The Nexus-Prince transforms into a void revenant!
- Nexus-Prince Bilaal yells: I have become void!
Azuregos drops you on Bilaal's platform and begins circling around it. The Nexus-Prince has two main abilities: "Void Consumption", which deals Shadow damage and slows your movement speed, and "Force of Gravity", which pushes you back. If you fall off the platform, you won't die and will just get flung back up, but try to avoid it nonetheless by standing with your back to one of the formations around the platform.
- Nexus-Prince Bilaal says: The Ethereum will rise again!
- Nexus-Prince Bilaal says: What!? The void cannot be defeated! Noooo!
Stage 6: Breaking and Binding
- Sieze[sic] control of Aluneth.
- Place the First Scroll of Meitre
- Place the Second Scroll of Meitre
- Place the Third Scroll of Meitre
- Azuregos says: Hah! So much for the all-powerful void. You know, you're not a bad ally. Pity you're not a dragon!
- Azuregos lands on the platform and transforms back into his high elven form.
- Azuregos says: I can open a portal to the vault, but I'll have to remain on this side to keep it open.
- Azuregos creates the portal.
- Azuregos says: The way is clear. Hurry, little <race>! I can't keep this open for long!
Upon entering the portal, you finally reach the Nexus Vault. Aluneth is floating above the central platform while groups of Arcane Projections are roaming around the area. Three small arcane domes are scattered across the platform, surrounded by floating crystals. Stepping into the domes will apply the "Aegwynn's Crystals of Binding" buff, the description of which reads: "Crystals designed by Aegwynn specifically to nullify Aluneth's magics."
- Azuregos says: You made it! But to leave this place with the weapon, you must first gain control of it.
- Azuregos says: Good luck, mage.
While the Projections are easy to kill, they will regenerate within a few seconds, making it rather pointless to try and kill them. Instead, step into the domes and begin placing the three given to you by Kalecgos during .
- Placing Ancient Scroll of Meitre — Place an Ancient Scroll of Meitre, calming rampant arcane magics and making arcane entities more susceptible to your will.
The first scroll is placed in the southwestern dome.
- Aluneth whispers: I am infinite.
- Aluneth whispers: I will not be contained!
The second scroll is placed in the southeastern dome.
- Aluneth whispers: No mere mortal can grasp the wisdom of Aluneth!
- Aluneth whispers: I will not succumb to your paltry magics!
The third scroll is placed in the northern dome.
- Aluneth whispers: You are not as powerful as she who came before. You cannot succeed!
- Aluneth whispers: My essence will not be controlled again!
Upon placing the third scroll, the Arcane Projections vanish.
Final Stage: The Power of Aegwyn[sic]
- Claim Aluneth and leave the Nexus Vault.
- Claim Aluneth
- Leave the Nexus Vault
- Aluneth whispers: You fancy yourself as worthy to wield me as the previous "Guardian?" You are but a child to me.
- Aluneth whispers: You foolishly think you can control this power. So be it.
- Aluneth whispers: Come, child. Let us wreak havoc upon your foes, and I shall see what you are made of.
After looting and equipping Aluneth, Azuregos says the following:
- Azuregos says: Well done! The energies from the vault seem to be stabilizing. Now hurry back before the portal closes and you're locked inside!
Upon returning to the Rift:
- Azuregos says: I am impressed, <name>! Never have I seen a mage capable of controlling Aluneth.
- Azuregos says: The ethereals have been routed and you have the weapon you came for. Your business here is finished. Mine, on the other hand, has just begun.
- Azuregos says: I thank you for freeing me. You have given me the greatest gift of all... that of time.
- Azuregos says: I will use that time to secure the Nexus. It must never again fall into the wrong hands!
- Azuregos opens a portal back to Dalaran.
- Azuregos says: This portal will take you back to Kalecgos. Please give him my regards.
Use the portal and return to Kalecgos to complete the quest.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.