The Search for the Highlord
|Start||Lord Maxwell Tyrosus|
|End||Lord Maxwell Tyrosus|
|Level||98 - 110 (Requires 98)|
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Completion
- 5 Notes
- 6 Progression
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 External links
Tirion is fading away on that infernal shore... and the Ashbringer with him! We must not waste another moment.
Give the word and we'll set off. We're ready when you are.
You will receive:
- 15 40
- 15,050 XP
I owe you my life, <name>. We all do.
- Quest accept
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: You brave souls have been chosen to strike into the depths of hell itself to rescue Highlord Tirion. This is your last chance to turn back.
- Tyrosus walks over to the Argent Hippogryph.
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: Ready yourselves, men - the Broken Shore awaits. We leave on <name>'s command.
Interact with the Argent Hippogryph to fly to the Broken Shore and start the scenario.
Stage 1: Sounding the Charge
- Lead the paladins of the Argent Crusade into battle (Argent War Horn)
Inside the scenario, the wing flies to the Shattered Edge:
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: The demons before us are all that stand between us and the Ashbringer. Regardless of our outcome, our families will know that we fought for the freedom and safety of our world.
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: We move on our champion's command.
Use the ability, the Argent War Horn.
Stage 2: Crusaders' March
- Destroy the demon army.
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: Argent Crusade - CHARGE!
- Jailer Zerus says: Such arrogance... must be crushed.
Help clear the first wave of adds. Once they fall, Zerus summons some infernals.
- Jailer Zerus says: Infernals - crush them.
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: Champion, we must persevere!
Stage 3: Holy Vengeance
- Destroy Jailer Zerus and save Highlord Tirion Fordring.
- Destroy Jailer Zerus
- Jailer Zerus says: Scorch the earth behind us. I must finish breaking our... guest.
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: The fiends have Tirion! We have to act quickly.
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: Champion, I'll signal for our hippogryph riders to get our fallen to Light's Hope Chapel. You must forge ahead and find the Highlord!
- Stormwind Soldier says: No, please! No!
- Jailer Zerus says: You mortals are so vain... so arrogant. You will suffer for your hubris.
- Stormwind Soldier says: Light... save me...
- Jailer Zerus says: The sundering of this one's soul has been... taxing. But he will be ours soon.
- Highlord Tirion Fordring yells: NO! The Light burns in my heart... I will NEVER surrender!
Proceed to Hope's End and attack Jailer Zerus:
- Jailer Zerus says: You will suffer for a thousand lifetimes.
- Highlord Tirion Fordring says: <Name>! By the Light...
Zerus has the following abilities:
- Drain Life — Inflicts 3760 Fire damage every second. Heals Zerus for 11280 health
- The Jailer's Prison Summons a 'black hole' in the form of a jailer's prison that attempts to suck the player in. Telegraphed with...
- Jailer Zerus says: Insignificant gnat. I will enjoy breaking you.
- Summons a Dark Inquisitor at 50% health.
Interrupt Drain Life and step out of the Jailer's Prison area of effect.
Kill Zerus to start the next stage.
- Jailer Zerus yells: NO! The Ashbringer... must not...
Stage 4: The Ashbringer
- Find the Ashbringer within the Lost Temple.
- Wield the Ashbringer
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: Tirion! By all that is holy... what have they done to you?
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: I'll break Tirion free. You must find the Ashbringer while there's still time!
Enter the cave to the east and start killing a path through Ravenous Felstalkers. Corpses of Stormwind and Horde Soldiers litter the ground.
- Wrathguard Cleaver yells: The mortal approaches the Ashbringer. To arms!
- Eredar Deathspeaker yells: We have failed... Lord Balna...
- Balnazzar says: Ah, the Light's greatest champion has arrived to claim the holy Ashbringer and lay waste to my kin.
- Balnazzar says: They say only the pure can wield the highblade. Come, champion. Claim your destiny!
After defeating them, move to the next room to find the Ashbringer embedded in a ruined platform. Interact with it to acquire the Ashbringer!
- Balnazzar says: I've been waiting for you, paladin. Know that I will rip the soul from your flesh and make your body my own.
- Balnazzar says: I will turn you into a weapon of the Legion. I will use your hollow shell to corrupt and destroy everything you ever loved, piece by piece.
- Balnazzar says: Now, kneel. Kneel before your master.
Balnazzar casts Dominate Mind.
Step 5: One Final Blessing
- Call upon the power of the Ashbringer to break free from Balnazzar's control.
- Break free from Balnazzar's control.
- Unbreakable Will
- Highlord Tirion Fordring whispers: Give me the strength... to shatter these bonds...
- Balnazzar says: You cannot fight my will. You are mine.
Step 6: Balnazzar the Risen
- Defeat Balnazzar
- Balnazzar defeated
- Balnazzar says: Very well. This will be a fine test.
Balnazzar has the following abilities:
- Mind Blast — Inflichts Shadow damage to an enemy, but causes a high amount of threat. Deals 7150 Shadow damage.
- Call of the Legion — Balnazzar focuses his energy on the demonic portals. Cast at 66%. Summons a half-dozen Shadow Imps.
- Haze of the Dreadlord — Movement speed reduced by 75%. Shadow damage inflicted every second. Spawns a pool on the ground that slows and deals 2000 damage a tick.
- Balnazzar says: Know that I am Balnazzar. Know that you are but a pawn in plans beyond your reckoning.
- Balnazzar says: You are out of your league, paladin.
- Balnazzar says: You are here because I will it. You live because I will it. And you will serve because I will it!
- Balnazzar says: I am nathrezim. You efforts mean nothing!
- Balnazzar says: Do you think me so foolish as to stand alone?
- Balnazzar says: Burn everything, my pets. Leave only ash.
- Balnazzar says: Impressive. I did not expect you to attune to the Ashbringer so quickly. No matter, I will finish you off personally.
- Balnazzar says: Give up, before I lose my patience.
- Balnazzar says: Enough. Never again will that damned blade slay my brethren! YOU... WILL... DIE!
- Balnazzar says: You think this is over, paladin? Our journey together has just begun...
Final Stage: The Fate of the Highlord
- Return to Tirion Fordring
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: <Name>, you must come quickly. Tirion called for you by name. I fear he does not have long for this world. Hurry!
Run back to the west to find Tyrosus:
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: We have to get out of here before more demons come. Quickly, the Highlord is just outside the temple.
Follow him back outside. Tirion is on the Brink of Death.
- Highlord Tirion Fordring says: <Name>... come closer...
- Highlord Tirion Fordring says: You must... wield the blade... you must... stop the Legion...
- Highlord Tirion Fordring says: You must become... the Ashbringer...
- Highlord Tirion Fordring's last light fades.
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: You will be missed, brother.
- Lord Maxwell Tyrosus says: We must go to Light's Hope Chapel at once. Highlord Fordring deserves to be put to rest amongst the ancient heroes of the Light buried there.
- Complete all of:
- The Highlord's Command (see disambig page)
- When Balnazzar begins to corrupt the paladin, the Ashbringer takes on its Fallen Hope appearance.
- Several lines in this quest are homages to past events.
- Maxwell Tyrosus closely quotes Tirion Fordring's monologue in Light's Hammer.
- Give me the strength to shatter these bonds is verbatim what Tirion Fordring prayed to the Light in order to escape the Lich King's ice prison and save the heroes.
- Balnazzar declaring that this will be a fine test is in reference to Mal'Ganis' words to Arthas in the Culling of Stratholme.
- Balnazzar also very closely matches Kairozdormu's words to Garrosh Hellscream while he was held prisoner in Draenor.
- Beta text, stage 3 and 4
- Highlord Tirion Fordring says: <Name>! By the Light... you must vanquish this foul demon!
- Highlord Tirion Fordring says: <Name>... you must retrieve... the Ashbringer...
- Highlord Tirion Fordring says: Leave me... you must hurry before more come. Go!
- Original final objective
- Return to Dalaran
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.