The Spirits of Ashenvale (WC3 Orc)
|Previous: Cry of the Warsong|
|Next: The Blood of Mannoroth|
|The Spirits of Ashenvale|
|Campaign: The Invasion of Kalimdor|
|Place: Ashenvale Forest (near Warsong Gulch)|
|Outcome: Warsong clan victory
|Commanders and leaders|
|Casualties and losses|
|template | talk | edit|
Two days later, along the borderlands of Ashenvale forest...
- 3 Dark Trolls
- 2 Dark Troll Shadow Priests
- 1 Dark Troll Warlord
- 6 Furbolgs
- 1 Furbolg Elder Shaman
- 1 Furbolg Chieftain
- 9 Forest Spirits
- 6 Stags
- Grom Hellscream: Damn Thrall for sending us away! He chooses to use his greatest warriors for manual labor? He'll be lost without us.
- Warsong Orc: Chieftain, there's something strange about these woods. It's too...quiet. Almost like we're being watched.
- Grom Hellscream: Are you all afraid of spirits now? There is nothing here but ancient trees and shadow.
- Warsong Orc: You hear that? This place is haunted! I fear no living enemy, but my axe cannot cleave fleshless spirits.
- Grom Hellscream: Still your tongue and get to work! The warchief's new settlement will require a great deal of lumber. This section of forest must be cleared!
During the Mission
- Warsong Orc: Chieftain, we're under attack!
- Huntress: You were right, sisters. These green-skinned brutes have no respect for life! Slay them in Elune's name!
- Warsong Orc: Women. They're women!
- Grom Hellscream: Yes. They almost look like elves, but they're far too tall, and far too savage.
- Grom Hellscream: Those dancing lights are strange. Perhaps they are the dread spirits that you've all been so afraid of?
- Warsong Orc: Chieftain, the warrior women have returned on flying beasts!
- Grom Hellscream: They won't last long after our wolf riders have ensnared them!
- Grom Hellscream: These women fight with unmatched savagery! I've never seen their equal. They are... perfect warriors.
- Warsong Orc: Chieftain, that great tree pulses with magic! We should keep our distance!
- Grom Hellscream: Bah. Am I surrounded only by cowards? It's a tree, like any other! Cut it down!
- Grom Hellscream: You see? The great tree provided us with an abundance of lumber! If we find any more, then we'll hack them apart as well.
- Neeloc Greedyfingers: Ah, greetings, good orc. Strange to see one of you in these parts.
- Grom Hellscream: We are here to cut lumber, little goblin.
- Neeloc Greedyfingers: Hmm. Well, there's this tribe of bear men, called furbogs, in this region that's been giving us trouble. If you kill the chieftain, we'll sell our goods to you at cost. We might even let you borrow a few shredders.
- Grom Hellscream: I'll consider it.
- Grom Hellscream: They must be the furbolgs the goblin spoke of. This will be a worthy battle.
- Neeloc Greedyfingers: Ah, thank you! Now, these shredders will cut through those trees in no time!
- Warsong Orc: Chieftain, the harvesting is complete.
- Grom Hellscream: Good, then we'll start constructing the settlement now.
It details the events in which Grom Hellscream grudgingly enters Ashenvale Forest on orders from Thrall to harvest lumber and build a settlement for the Horde. Grom and his forces are met by "warrior women" who are later known as night elf sentinels. As the night elves relentlessly fight back the orcs, they watch as Hellscream's forces desecrate their sacred woodlands and hack apart Trees of Life and other ancients for lumber. The night elves retreat deeper into Ashenvale as the Warsong clan begins constructing a settlement.
- There was an early idea for this mission where the player could complete the objective without killing night elves. If the player successfully accomplished this, there would've been benefits later.
- Grommash found a Crystal Ball during this mission, later said to be from Astranaar. If so, it means one of the night elven settlements on the map may have been Astranaar.