The Tempest Key
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 2.3.0.
The Tempest Key was the key to enter the Eye of Tempest Keep, the inner sanctum of . The Tempest Key was not used like an actual key; instead, it was a passive item like the that attuned the player to the instance.
Obtaining the Tempest Key
The Tempest Key is given after a long quest chain that begins after completing the Cipher of Damnation quest chain (starts with ) for in Shadowmoon Valley. Upon completing the Cipher quest, you will receive (immediately) a letter in the mail from , asking you to travel to Shattrath City to speak to him.
- : Khadgar instructs you to speak to , who sends you on a series of trials.
- : A'dal sends you to the Shattered Halls of Hellfire Citadel to retrieve the . You must kill all three of the bosses in the Halls. This MUST be done on Heroic difficulty.
- : This requires two instance runs, both on Heroic: You must kill in the Steamvault of Coilfang Reservoir and retrieve , then travel to the Shadow Labyrinth in Auchindoun, destroy , and take .
- : Enter the Arcatraz - a satellite of Tempest Keep - and rescue . This must be done on Heroic difficulty.
- : Finally, you must enter Magtheridon's Lair and slay , a 25-man raid boss.
Upon completing all four quests, A'dal will grant you the Tempest Key (along with The Eye, Kael'thas' sanctum, for the final confrontation with the "Sun King".) and you will be allowed to enter
Either read the letter from or speak to him in Shattrath City.
Keys required for quests
The following Heroic entry keys are required, and you must be Honored with a certain faction to obtain them:
- (Honor Hold/Thrallmar): Unlocks Heroic mode in Hellfire Citadel.
- (Cenarion Expedition): Unlocks Heroic mode in Coilfang Reservoir.
- (Lower City): Unlocks Heroic mode in Auchindoun.
- (Sha'tar): Unlocks Heroic mode in Tempest Keep.
- The Shattered Halls, Shadow Labyrinth, and The Arcatraz also have their own entry keys; however, only one person in the group with the key or a lockpicker is required to get past them.