The Twin Blades of Azzinoth
- The Twin Blades of Azzinoth
- +18 Agility
- +19 Critical Strike
- The Twin Blades of Azzinoth (2 pieces)
- (2) Set: Your melee attacks have a chance to increase your haste by 215 for 10 sec.
(2) Set: Increases attack power by 100 when fighting Demons.
- Combined stats.
The Twin Blades of Azzinoth are a legendary weapon set that are wielded by the Lord of Outland, . Equipping both blades awards the Feat of Strength, . They drop from Illidan Stormrage in the Black Temple.
The Twin Blades of Azzinoth are a pair of fel green warglaives wielded by . was a doom guard commander whom Illidan slew 10,000 years ago. Illidan took Azzinoth's twin warglaives and trained himself to use them. He has become exceedingly efficient with the weapons. When Illidan used the twin warglaives they were usually connected, but could be disconnected to form separate weapons. Once disconnected they could be reconnected to form a single weapon once more. During his inprisonment, they were paraded near his cage. The pit lord proved to be no match for the wielder of the Twin Blades of Azzinoth. Illidan used them in battle against and his Frostmourne.
The ancient soulbinds linking Illidan to the twin blades allows Illidan to summon them to him. It is unknown if this can be done from anywhere or if Illidan has to be within a certain distance from the weapons to call them.
- In Warcraft III, one of the warglaives' handgrips featured a small pandaren image (the symbol of Samwise Didier). This was used as an inside joke; the warglaives have no connection to Pandaria and their design has been modified for the Burning Crusade.
- In World of Warcraft, the Twin Blades of Azzinoth are a pair of legendary swords, a main hand and an off-hand. Initially, they could only be wielded by warriors and rogues; future expansions added death knights (included in the patch for Cataclysm), monks (introduced in Mists of Pandaria), and, of course, demon hunters (introduced in Legion).
- Before Patch 5.0.4, the stats and weapon class of The Twin Blades of Azzinoth (dual-wielded one-handed swords) were ideal for hunters, the one class that was excluded from using this set (and probably the only reason why the set has a class restriction at all).
- The Twin Blades of Azzinoth are the first legendary weapons that are a set. They are also the first legendary weapons of the Burning Crusade expansion that could be used outside an instance (The legendary weapons in the fight are limited to Tempest Keep). The two glaives were also the first permanent legendary items that did not require a quest to obtain.
- Illidan splits his weapon into the Twin Blades of Azzinoth in Arthas: Rise of the Lich King. However, the combined weapon is never described, and the two resulting weapons are each called "a single blade". This may be an error, as it seems that he split only one of the warglaives into two even smaller blades.
- How exactly Illidan confronted Azzinoth and obtained his warglaives is not something Blizzard wants covered in detail.
- When doing the Well of Eternity instance and killing , if you have the Warglaives of Azzinoth equipped Illidan will say "Curious weapons you wield... such power" followed by "You seem prepared".
- Despite being the most famous warglaives, they are classified as swords instead.
- Illidan is seen wielding the Twin Blades after his resurrection in the Nighthold, and the promotional art for Patch 7.2.0. However, in the Cathedral of Eternal Night, he is seen wielding the Challenge appearance for Twinblades of the Deceiver. It's unclear whether he is meant to own the Twin Blades, these new glaives, or perhaps both.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now usable by Demon Hunters.
- Hotfix (2014-10-17): "The Twin Blades of Azzinoth's set bonus now gives a more reasonable bonus to Haste."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Stat squish. Hit removed.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now usable by Monks.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Now usable by Death Knights.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Added.