The World of Warcraft Townhall/Classes
This article is a copy of "The World of Warcraft Classes", an official article by Blizzard Entertainment. It presented the classes to be implemented in the game. The original article did not survive the overhaul of the World of Warcraft Official Website, but can still be viewed through online archives (see below).
|Do NOT change this article or section. It needs to be an accurate copy of the source.|
What type of hero will you be? This is one of the first questions you'll answer when playing World of Warcraft. After deciding what race to play, each character will choose one of several classes. Each race has its own list of class options available to it. Throughout their entire careers, characters will be able to learn from a pool of over 1000 spells and skills. A character's class will help determine which spells and skills he or she can master; this page lists just a few for each class. Below you will find information detailing each of the classes you'll be able to play in World of Warcraft, including a few examples of the numerous spells and skills available to each class.
Upholders of the Holy Light and defenders of the Alliance, the Paladins can be found from the northern forests of the Tirisfal Glades, fighting back the advance of the Forsaken, to the southern reaches of the Blasted Lands, ceaselessly upholding their vigil against demonic forces from beyond the Dark Portal. Wielding their mighty hammers and the strength of the Light, these holy warriors command forces in battle, all the while throwing themselves to where the fighting is the thickest. Here are a few sample spells available to Paladins:
- Divine Shield - Drawing on their faith in the Holy Light, Paladins are able to surround themselves with an impregnable shield that renders them impervious to physical attacks and magical spells.
- Devotion Aura - A paladin's specialty lies in the ability to command. Those who follow one of the holy warriors feel themselves steeled in battle by their leader's courage and strength.
- Holy Light - Manifesting the power of the Light, Paladins are able to heal their comrades in battle using their holy magic.
At home in the shadows and skilled at disappearing from sight, the Rogues of Azeroth are most comfortable when acting in the background. Twisting events to their favor, striking only when advantage is greatest: this is where a Rogue excels. With their cunning tricks, physical abilities, and mastery of concealment and disguise, Rogues have no trouble finding employment as thieves, cutthroats, spies, and assassins. Here are a few sample skills available to Rogues:
- Backstab - Silent as a whisper, a Rogue can slip behind a target, and in the blink of an eye, bury a weapon into the victim's back.
- Stealth - From a clump of bushes in the deep forest to the streets of a bustling city marketplace, Rogues can render themselves invisible and unseen to all but the keenest of observers.
- Dual Wield - Through diligent training and practice, Rogues are able to master the art of dual-weapon combat, making them an even more dangerous foe.
Priests lead the many faiths spread throughout the disparate lands of the world of Azeroth. In Kalimdor, Night Elf Priestesses revere the moon goddess Elune, while Dwarven priests in Khaz Modan deliver the message of the Light to their people. In the ruins of Lordaeron, the undead priests of the Forsaken, their faith twisted and tainted by their tortured existences, spread a dark interpretation of the Holy Light. Regardless of their faith, however, all Priests share in their ability to manipulate the minds of those who turn to them for spiritual guidance. Here are a few sample spells available to Priests:
- Sleep - Through training, Priests become masters of manipulating the mind. They are able to lull a creature or person to sleep, rendering them completely immobile -- as long as the target is not disturbed from its slumber.
- Heal - Warrior and Mage alike can be brought low by injury, but the Priest can restore their health through magic, enabling the injured to return to battle anew.
- Shadow Word: Pain - Though traditionally benign in nature, Priestly magic has a darker side as well. Through this word of darkness, a Priest can cause excruciating pain to a targeted victim for an extended period of time.
Azeroth is home to a wide variety of beasts. From the new world of Lordaeron to the old world of Kalimdor, all manner of creatures can be found. Some are friendly, some are ferocious and aggressive - yet they all have one thing in common. Each creature shares a special connection with Hunters. Hunters track, tame and slay all manner of animals and beasts found in the wilds. Whether they rely on bows or firearms, Hunters consider their weapons and pets to be their only true friends. Here are a few sample skills available to Hunters:
- Beast Tracking - Hunters can find and follow a wide variety of animal tracks, allowing them to locate their elusive prey with ease.
- Beast Soothe - Not every encounter with a beast is a friendly one, and Hunters can soothe ravenous animals whenever necessary.
- Beast Taming - Beasts are found in all shapes, colors and sizes. It is the special journey of the Hunter to find which he is most connected to - and tame it. Once tamed, the beast will grow, learn and be the Hunter's constant companion.
Warlocks were mages that delved too deeply into the roots of demonic power. Consumed by a lust for dark knowledge, they've tapped into chaotic magics from beyond the world. The Burning Legion now feeds them their powers, allowing them to channel destructive energies and call upon the powerful emissaries of their demon masters. Here are a few sample spells available to Warlocks:
- Immolate - The devouring fires of entropy are one of the primary forces Warlocks wield. They can cause their foes to ignite in flames that burn flesh, bone, and soul.
- Anti-Magic - Having discovered a few of the deepest magical secrets, Warlocks have learned how to render it useless against them.
- Infernal - Warlocks can summon many demonic soldiers to destroy their enemies. The powerful Infernal is just one of these.
Druids are the keepers of the world. Locked in slumber for generations, they awoke to meet the threat of the Burning Legion during its recent invasion. After Archimonde's defeat, the Druids chose to remain in the waking world and help to rebuild their shattered lands. The Legion's attack left a terrible scar on the natural order, and the Druids seek to heal it. Here are a few sample spells available to Druids:
- Shapeshifting - Druids can assume a variety of animal forms to aid them in both travel and combat. The Night Saber panther and Storm Crow are just two of the shapes Druids will be able to assume.
- Rejuvenation - In keeping with the Druids' philosophy to restore and regenerate the world, they have the ability to rejuvenate their allies. This ability restores health over time to any wounded being.
- Faerie Fire - Druids can envelop their enemies with a supernatural glow, making them easier to see and attack.
Warriors are the melee-centered class. These characters are tough as nails and masters of weaponry and tactics. The special abilities of the warrior are naturally combat-oriented. Here are a few sample skills available to Warriors:
- Shield Bash - A skill that allows the Warrior to strike enemies with a shield, stunning them for a short period of time.
- Defensive Stance - A technique for warding off enemy attacks. When used, this skill increases the character's armor rating for a little while.
- Whirlwind - An attack spell that sends the caster into a berserk fury, creating a destructive force that damages nearby enemies within a small area of effect.
The Mages of Warcraft once centered their powers within the mageocracy of Dalaran. After that kingdom's destruction by the Burning Legion, however, the arcane arts spread to the far corners of the world. Here are a few sample spells available to Mages:
- Invisibility - Whether a mage needs to infiltrate an enemy camp or quickly avoid a bad situation, they can make themselves undetectable using the Invisibility spell.
- Frost Armor - An enchantment the caster uses to increase armor protection for a time.
- Fireball - An offensive spell that hurls a fiery magic missile at a single target.
Shamans are the spiritual leaders of their tribes and clans. They communicate with spirits, have visions of the future, and guide their people through the darkest of times. Many mistake their wisdom and serenity for a pacifist nature. When challenged, though, shamans have a range of powers available for dealing with threats to the natural order. Here are a few sample spells available to Shamans:
- Lightning Bolt - A spell that channels the energies of nature into a fearsome electrical charge that strikes a single enemy.
- Lightning Shield - The reverse of the offensive bolt, generating an electrical barrier around a friendly character - damaging any that dare to attack.
- Restoration - Questing in World of Warcraft is bound to be dangerous, and player characters won't always be on the right side of a sharpened edge. The shaman can prove a valuable ally during these times by calling on the aid of friendly spirits to heal wounds with the Restoration spell.