Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Thunder Clap is a level 16 Protection warrior point blank area of effect ability that deals Physical damage and applies a debuff to targets reducing their movement speed. This is the warrior's main AoE tanking ability.
- Thunder Clap creates threat equal to 1.75x damage done.
- Thunder Clap's damage is physical and is mitigated by the armor of the opponent.
Tips and tactics
- Thunder Clap is useful for tanking when a warrior needs to multi-tank a large number of mobs.
- Be careful using this ability around crowd controlled mobs, as the damage it inflicts will likely break the crowd control effect. If possible it is best to apply Thunder Clap before crowd control, or to pull the mobs you wish to Thunder Clap away from the crowd controlled mobs.
- Its AoE effect against opponents makes it especially useful in large battles.
- Thunder Clap was first used by Murgen Hammerfall.
- Thunder Clap dealt Nature damage when the game was first released. This was quickly changed.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Now generates 5 Rage, and its damage has been increased.
- Hotfix (2016-09-16): "(Hotfix in testing; to be applied with next weekly maintenance) Most abilities used by Tank specializations have had their damage reduced by 10%."
- Hotfix (2016-08-11): "Thunder Clap will now more reliably hit targets near the edge of its radius."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer available to Arms. Damage increased by 48.8%.
- Patch 6.1.0 (2015-02-24): Snare effect now lasts for 10 seconds or 8 seconds while in PvP combat (up from 6 seconds).
- Hotfix (2015-01-12): "Thunder Clap's damage has been increased by 40%."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): No longer available to Fury warriors. Now costs 10 Rage, and also reduces the movement speed of nearby enemies by 50% for 6 sec. No longer applies the Weakened Blows effect.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer increases time between attacks of affected targets. Now applies Weakened Blows.
- Patch 3.3.3 (2010-03-23): This ability now counts as a ranged attack, granting it double damage on critical strikes instead of 150% and ranged miss chance, and still cannot be dodged or parried.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Damage increased, cooldown increased, will now affect all targets within a range.
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): This ability was left at 10% despite the haste effect changes. This means its potency has been reduced slightly.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Visual and animation changed.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): Now causes Physical damage instead of Nature damage; damage increased; duration increased with each new rank.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Damage increased.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Damaged increased. Now deals nature damage instead of physical damage.