Tidal Waves is a passive level 50 Restoration shaman ability. It causes your and to grant a buff that reduces the cast time of , and increase the critical strike chance of . This effect stacks up to 2 times.
Tidal Waves is a staple of restoration healing, and allows you to significantly reduce the otherwise fairly long casting times of Healing Wave, while also providing a bonus to Healing Surge. The Healing Surge bonus is very rarely useful, however, as the main benefit of the spell is its short casting time; something that is only relevant when you don't have Tidal Waves active. The casting time reduction can be used to mitigate the main drawback of Healing Wave, namely it's low healing per second. Managing the buff and knowing when you'll be able to refresh it next can be tricky, but is necessary for getting the most out of your healing spells.
Tips and tactics
- When using Chain Heal to heal a raid group, Tidal Waves allows you to cast a quick Healing Wave on a target that needs immediate healing. The reduced casting time of the heals not only means that a potentially life-saving heal can land faster, but also that you can get back to casting Chain Heal sooner.
- The reverse of the above is also true: if you are chain-casting Healing Wave on a target, using Chain Heal will increase the casting time of your next two heals, allowing you to "sneak in" an occasional Chain Heal without losing much time on your main target. This can be useful if a tank is taking heavy damage while other players nearby also need healing.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2016-07-22): "Casting Riptide directly after a Chain Heal will now award two stacks of Tidal Waves."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now reduces the cast time of by 30% (up from 20%) and increases critical strike chance of by 40% (up from 30%).
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now reduces the cast time of by 20% (down from 30%).
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Tidal Waves effect now guaranteed. Now reduces cast time of Greater Healing Wave of 30% instead of the Lesser Healing Wave effect. No longer increases bonus healing effects, but increases critical strike chance of Healing Surge.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): No longer reduces the cast time of Lesser Healing Wave by 30%. It instead now provides +25% critical strike chance to Lesser Healing Wave, along with the previous 30% cast time benefit to Healing Wave.
- Hotfix (2009-04-22): "The will no longer increase the casting time of or when Tidal Waves is active."
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Will now also proc from . Number of charges increased from 1 to 2.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.