- This article is about the dungeon mode. For the faction, see Timewalkers.
Timewalking (colloquially referred to as Timewalker or Timewalker mode) is a dungeon difficulty added in patch 6.2.0 of Warlords of Draenor, allowing players to queue up for a randomly selected old school dungeon from 4 AM PDT Wednesday through 3 AM PDT Tuesday for American and Australian servers and from 00:00 CEST Wednesday through 23:01 CEST Monday in Europe. Timewalking difficulty scales down the character's power and gear relative to the dungeon. Loot obtained during this difficulty has the Timewarped tag, which scales up to an item level appropriate for use at the player's level.
Timewalking for Burning Crusade content is available for characters level 71 and up; Wrath of the Lich King for level 81 and up.; Cataclysm for level 85 and up; Mists of Pandaria for level 91 and up.
The following dungeons are currently enabled for the Timewalking difficulty in Legion.
The Burning Crusade
Wrath of the Lich King
Mists of Pandaria
- Gate of the Setting Sun
- Mogu'shan Palace
- Shado-Pan Monastery
- Siege of Niuzao Temple
- Stormstout Brewery
- Temple of the Jade Serpent
There are four different Timewalking Bonus Events: One for content from The Burning Crusade, one for content from Wrath of the Lich King, one for content from Cataclysm, and one for content in Mists of Pandaria. When one of these events is active, completing five Timewalking dungeons as a part of a special quest will award a Seal for an extra bonus roll, which isn't counted toward the weekly cap of three Seals.
Blizzard announced in May 2014 that they were working on a way for higher-level players to tackle lower-level dungeon and raid content, with abilities and gear scaled down to an appropriate level. Likely using the same technology used for Challenge Mode, the Proving Grounds, and scaled battlegrounds, Timewalker mode would allow players to experience older dungeons and raids at a challenging level.
The underlying system was largely implemented with Patch 5.4.0 in September 2013, but was not yet accessible to players. However, some players have previously been able to access the mode through a bug in certain dungeons, allowing them to experience an incomplete version of the feature.
The plan is to initially introduce the feature for dungeons only.
Prior to release of the official "Timewalking" name, the title "Timewalker" came primarily from game data listing this title as an additional category of instance. Due to the background addition of the new feature around the same time, as well as this obviously being a very fitting title for the new mode, the term has been widely adopted by players to refer to the planned feature.
- When an item drops in a Timewalking dungeon, its item level is based on the player's level at the time of the drop and will not update after that.
- The maximum item level for Timewarped items is 880 for level 110 characters (895 if the item is Warforged).
- Timewalking only scales gear down. Items from older content will not scale up to the correct item level for the Timewalking difficulty.
- Legendary items will scale as well, making them very powerful in Timewalking dungeons.
- Gear scales to the following item levels for their corresponding Timewalking event:
- Outland - ilvl 95
- Northrend - ilvl 160
- Cataclysm - ilvl 300
- Mists of Pandaria - ilvl 458?
- Killing mobs within Timewalking dungeons rewards reputation for the appropriate factions of that expansion. The amount is similar to when running normal dungeons with a faction tabard such as .
- During Timewalking, all bosses have a rare chance to drop the , a infinite drake mount.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Black Temple added for Burning Crusade.
- Patch 7.2.0 (2017-03-28): Base item level of dropped items has been increased for level 110 players.
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Mists of Pandaria event added.
- Hotfix (2016-12-06): "Many trinkets available from Timewalking holiday dungeons and vendors have had their effects adjusted to more closely match the power level of Legion trinkets."
- Hotfix (2016-08-02): "Increased the adjusted item level of players in Burning Crusade and Cataclysm Timewalking dungeons."
- Hotfix (2016-07-27): "
- All bosses and some other mobs in the Wrath of the Lich King timewalking dungeons have had their melee damage reduced by 30%.
- The target average item level that players now scale to in Wrath of the Lich King Timewalking dungeons has been increased.
- ^ a b Kaivax 2015-04-14. Patch 6.2 Preview – Timewalking. Retrieved on 2015-04-15.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2017-03-07. Weekly Bonus Event: Mists of Pandaria Timewalking. Retrieved on 2017-03-07.
- ^ http://www.wowhead.com/news=275414/blizzcon-2017-ulduar-timewalking-raid-in-patch-7-3-5
- ^ a b chaud 2014-05-04. Warlords of Draenor - Developer Interviews, Blue Tweets, DLC #438. MMO-Champion.
- ^ a b Patch 5.4 - Developer Interviews. MMO-Champion.
- ^ "Timewalker" dungeon mode available (kinda). Official forums (2013-10-22).
- ^ https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/613078956867104768
- ^ https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/614236062999642113
- ^ http://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/601846823288840192