To Tame a Land (WC3 Orc)
|Next: Old Hatreds|
|To Tame a Land|
|Campaign: The Founding of Durotar|
| Outcome: |
|Commanders and leaders|
|Casualties and losses|
|template | talk | edit|
- 1 Plot
- 2 Submaps
- 3 Quests
- 4 Dialogue
- 4.1 Prelude
- 4.2 Main Quests
- 4.3 Optional Quests
- 4.4 Unused quotes
- 5 Trivia
Mok'nathal and his bear companion spend a peaceful life in Kalimdor, watching the different wars that scar the land. After failing to rescue the orcish messenger Mogrin, Rexxar meets the orcs, their leader warchief and discovers the recently founded kingdom of Durotar. Thrall is thankful for restoring Mogrin’s honor and offers Rexxar his hospitality. Rexxar declines and offers his aid to the orcs, specifically , and .
While solving minor problems, Rexxar discovers that a force of humans established a base at the coast of Kalimdor. Thrall does not want to harm the humans, due to a pact he sealed with , but allows Rexxar to take action if they're hostile. In the mean time, the humans destroy the orc outpost. Thrall sends Rexxar to the Echo Isles, to convince the inhabitant Darkspear trolls to flee for the fleet of the humans. The leader of the trolls agrees, after Rexxar aided them in the defense of the isles.
While Rexxar returns to Orgrimmar, Thrall receives a message for an appointment with a human messenger. Rexxar insists to go instead, because he suspects a trap. When Rexxar arrives at the meeting point, he is confronted with an army of humans that seek to capture Thrall. The confused Thrall sends Rexxar to the new established outpost of the Darkspear trolls, to meet with Jaina Proudmoore and ask for an explanation.
- Orgrimmar Tunnels (Gazlowe’s mission)
- Beast Den (path between the orc outpost and the Goblin Laboratory)
- Echo Isles (home of the Darkspear trolls)
- Thunder Ridge (Drek’Thar’s mission)
- : I have wandered alone for many years, little . Yet sometimes, even I grow weary of this endless solitude.
- Rexxar: I have watched the other races. I have seen their squabbling, their ruthlessness. Their wars do nothing but scar the land and drive the wild things to extinction.
- Rexxar: No, they cannot be trusted. Only beasts are above deceit.
- Rexxar and Misha hear weapons colliding as there's a battle being fought.
- Rexxar: A battle!
- Mogrin: Come, you mongrels! Taste the steel of Mogrin's axe!
- Rexxar joins the flay to help the stranger.
- Rexxar: Hold fast, stranger! You shall not stand alone!
- The Quilboars killed Mogrin and ran away.
- Mogrin: Damned... cowards.
- Rexxar: Your stomach's been split open. I can do little to ease your pain.
- Mogrin: I know. This... would be a good death, if not for my failure.
- Rexxar: Failure?
- Mogrin: I was to deliver... a crucial report... to my chieftain in the lands below. But now...
- Mogrin: I have... failed him. I have lost my... honor.
- Rexxar: I will deliver your message, old one. For the sake of honor, I will uphold your charge.
- Mogrin: Aka'magosh, warrior. Thank you. Seek out the city... of Orgrimmar. Find... Warchief... . Tell him--
- Mogrin gasps and dies peacefully.
- Rexxar: May the winds bear you swiftly to your ancestors, warrior.
- Rexxar: Well, Misha, it seems we'll be civilization after all. Let's get moving.
- Grunt: You've got the look of an ogre, half-breed. What's your business here?
- Rexxar: I carry a message for your warchief. I'll not stay long.
- Rexxar: A warrior city. I have not seen its like in many years.
- Rexxar: Stay close to me, Misha.
- Thrall: Shore up those supports! When the razorwinds kick in again, they'll tear those roofs right off!
- Peon: Yes, Warchief!
- Rexxar: A moment, Warchief. I come to deliver a message.
- Thrall approaches the half-breed.
- Thrall: How did you come by this report? Where is Mogrin?
- Rexxar: He fell in the wilds. His last wish was that you receive this message.
- Thrall: Who are you, warrior?
- Mok'Nathal. Rexxar: I am Rexxar, last son of the
- orc and ogre blood in their veins. It is an honor. We've built this kingdom--Durotar--for all our kind. Durotar is as much your home as it is mine, Rexxar. Stay awhile. Accept what hospitality we can offer. It is the least we could do. Thrall: Mok'Nathal. I've heard tales of your people. They had both
- Rexxar: Perhaps I've spend too long in the wilds. Your offer is kind, Thrall, but I must carry my own weight. Just show me what needs doing, and I'll earn my keep.
- Thrall: I understand. Founding a nation is tiresome work, and there are many around here that could use your help. Simply talk to them, and they will point you to the right direction.
- A Troll is called upon his Warchief.
- Darkspear tribe. He is one of my best scouts. Thrall: This is Rokhan of the
- : How you doin', mon?
Earning Your Keep
- Engineer Gazlowe: Ah, new guy, huh? I'm Gazlowe, chief engineer around these parts. But enough about me. We got work to do, buddy!
- Engineer Gazlowe: You see, me and my boys have been dredging out tunnels beneath the city, looking for underground wells. Problem is, we dug straight into a den of kobolds. Now those rat-freaks are running willy-nilly all over our tunnels!
- Engineer Gazlowe: I need you to hook up with my boys and seal those kobolds back in their hole. Yeah, just find the tunnel entrance outside of town, and my boys will see you straight.
- : Ah, you're one of the Mok'Nathal! I am Drek'Thar. I fought alongside your elders on Draenor many years ago. Still, if you've come to help, I do have a simple task for you.
- Drek'Thar: I've been concocting a special potion that will aid our warriors in battle. However, I'm missing a key ingredient. I require , but the rare herb can only by found in the valley known as Thunder Ridge.
- Drek'Thar: Normally, I would gather the herbs myself, but the thunder lizards, for whom the valley is named, have become increasingly hostile of late. If you retrieve six bushels for me, I will reward you handsomely.
- : Greetings, warrior. I am Nazgrel, captain of the warchief's security force. We've been having problems with the indigenous creatures attacking our borders. Perhaps you can help?
- Nazgrel: The harpies of the northern foothills have been ransacking our supply caravans for weeks. If you can find their lair and put an end to their rampage, I'll see to it that you're rewarded.
- Thrall: Ah, throm'ka, Rexxar. The others tell me you've been a great help to them. I appreciate all you've done for us.
- Nazgrel: Throm-ka, Rexxar. I spoke to Thrall about the humans encroaching on our lands. I, for one, don't trust them at all. I'd like you to report to our outlying watch post and meet with lieutenant, Gar'thok. I need to know if they've spotted any suspicious activity along the border.
Seal the Tunnel
- Engineer Gazlowe: Hey, come on, pal! Not paying you by the hour!
- Rexxar: Not paying me at all, little goblin.
- Sapper: Wow, you're a big one! Gazlowe said he'd be sending some muscle.
- Rexxar: Do you goblins have a plan?
- Sapper: Of course! If you can get us close enough to the tunnel's support beams, we'll blast them to smithereens. That should collapse the ceiling on top of those rats and fix our problem up real nice.
- Rexxar: This must be one of the support beams. It's all yours, goblins!
- Engineer Gazlowe: So they blew themselves up, you say? Now that's occupational commitment! Anyway, ya done good, kid. Take these items. It's the least I can do to repay ya.
- Rexxar: Thunder Ridge. This must be the valley Drek'Thar spoke of. This shouldn't be too difficult.
- Rexxar: This must be the shimmerweed. I'll need to gather five more bushels.
- Drek'Thar: Hmm. It sounds like something or someone is riling up those lizards. I'll look into it myself. Well, at least my potion is complete. Here, take a few vials of it! It'll serve you well.
- Rexxar: This must be one of the caravans Nazgrel told me about.
- : It was foolish for you to come here. We are not afraid of you orcs. We won't let you chase us out of our lands!
- Rexxar: I never intended to chase you out. I intend to bury you here.
- Nazgrel: Ah, the caravans are safe at last! You've done well, warrior. The Horde owes you a great debt. Go to the armory down the way, and tell them I sent you. They'll give you a choice of exotic items.
Survey the Border
- Gar'thok: Throm-ka, warrior. We haven't seen any signs of human activity, but the local quillboars have been getting bolder. There is an observatory nearby that helps us spot potential threats. You might want to check it out. But be warned, the quillboars roam the entire area. Gol'kosh! If only there was a way to root them out, we could end their threat once and for all!
- Rexxar: It appears that they worship some kind of primitive boar god. Interesting.
- Rexxar: Now I can activate the telescope and survey the surrounding lands.
- Rexxar then uses the telescope to peer at the coast.
- Rexxar: Blast! It looks like the beginning of an invasion! There's far too many of them for me to handle alone.
- Thrall: Looking for Drek'Thar? Before he left, he said something about investigating the lizards out near Thunder Ridge. If you hurry, you might catch up to him.
- Jaina would send troops so close to our border. This does not bode well at all. Pact or no pact, I won't allow anything to jeopardize the security of our nation. Thrall: Are you certain of what you saw, Rexxar? I can't imagine that
- Nazgrel: I heard about the human ships, Warchief. What are your orders?
- Thrall: I want you both to head back to that watch post and keep an eye on the humans. We can't let this situation escalate out of control.
- Nazgrel: What if they're hostile, Warchief?
- Thrall: I'd prefer that the humans remain unharmed. But, if they prove hostile in any way, you have my permission to slaughter them.
Protect the Border
- Rexxar: No! We're too late. The camp's already razed! There are humans tracks everywhere. They lead back towards the coast.
- Nazgrel: The human scum will pay dearly for this! Blood for blood. Life for life. Lok-Tar Ogar!
- Rexxar: This anchor emblem on their shields... have you ever seen it before?
- Footman: Orcs! We've been followed! To arms, men! To arms!
- Nazgrel: Come, human dogs! Taste the wrath of the Horde!
- Rexxar: No doubt about it: those are the same ships I saw from the observatory.
- Thrall: You did all you could, my warriors. Above all else, you kept Durotar safe. Yet, this anchor sigil you describe does seen oddly familiar. I just can't place it.
- Rokhan: Pardon, boss-man, but if the humans be comin' from the sea, my tribe on the Echo Isles could be deep in the danger, too!
- Thrall: Don't worry, Rokhan. You have my word that I won't let anything happen to your people.
- trolls that live on the Echo Isles. I need you to take a zeppelin to the isles and warn the trolls about what's happening. If you can, try to convince them to join us on the mainland. Thrall: I have an urgent mission for you, Rexxar. That human fleet poses a serious threat to the
Warn the Trolls
- Rexxar: There's no telling what dangers lurk on these isles. I'll have to move quickly and find the trolls' village!
- : I be Vol'jin, leader of the Darkspear tribe. It be good that the warchief sent you when he did, mon. Our villages already be under attack by the human fleet! We've got no time to waste.
- Vol'jin: Even now, the humans' battleships be blastin' away at our coastal villages!
- Rexxar: You have little chance of defeating such a force on your own, Vol'jin. You should evacuate your tribe to the mainland and unite with the warchief's forces.
- Vol'jin: Though I hate to be abondonin' our homes, your plan be a wise one. However, we got to destroy those battleships before the evacuation begins.
- Vol'jin: These wily ones will serve you well, mon. Their talent for destruction be mighty.
- Rexxar: We have no flying mounts, Vol'jin. We'll be useless on land.
- Vol'jin: Won't be a problem, mon. Now, this be feelin' a bit strange...
- Vol'jin does a spell that turns Rexxar and companions to flying beasts.
- Vol'jin: Whenever you want get your legs back, just land in the ritual circle. Remember, you must destroy at least five of the humans' ships before we can commence with the evacuation.
Sink the Fleet
- Vol'jin: Well done, mon. You saved my tribesman. The outer villages be ready for the evacuation. They await only the signal to begin.
- Vol'jin: In order to signal the evacuation, you gotta light the five signal braziers scattered across the islands. When you done, the rest of my tribe will set sail for the mainland. But be careful, mon--there be more dangerous foes than humans prowling the jungles.
The Signal Pyres
- Rexxar: Damn. The brazier is guarded by some kind of sea giant. Getting to it won't be as easy as I thought.
- Rexxar: That vile creature stands in my way!
- Rexxar: Whoa, he's a big one! I'm in for a serious fight!
- Thrall: I'm glad you returned safely, Rexxar. You've done well. My scouts have informed me that the Darkspear trolls have landed further down in coast. They'll be much safer under the Horde's protection.
- Thrall: Still, the situation with the humans has intensified. I've received word that they're sending an emissary to parley with me. We're to meet at Razor Hill around midnight.
- Rexxar: I don't know, Thrall. It sounds like a trap to me. Let me go in your place.
- Thrall: I can't imagine that Jaina Proudmoore would ever set me up, Rexxar. Even so, I'm not one to run from a fight.
- Rexxar: Just trust me, Thrall. If you're right, we'll have lost nothing.
- Rexxar: This is it. The meeting place lies just beyond.
- The emissary group arrives.
- Rexxar: Greetings, humans. It's about time you showed up.
- Emissary: What is the meaning of this? This... ogre cannot be the orc warchief!
- Rexxar: And you are not Jaina Proudmoore.
- Emissary: Jaina? Why would you think she would be... bah! Enough of this drivel! We'd hoped to corner your wretched warchief, but you will have to suffice! Strike!
- It's a trap!
- Rexxar: Assassins! I knew this was a trap!
- Rexxar: Tell me who sent you, human! Was it Jaina?
- Emissary: Foolish beast... you have no idea... what's coming for you. It is only... just beginning.
- Morg Wolfsong: Listen, stranger... for my time is short. We shaman were attacked... by a band of renegade warlocks--our own kin, still loyal... to the Burning Legion.
- Morg Wolfsong: The warlocks stole... one of our sacred artifacts... then fled back into the hills. No doubt... they have a secret coven nearby. Avenge of the ghosts of my murdered brethren... and recover the stolen artifact. There's no telling... what evil they might unleash with... its power.
- Rexxar: This place reeks of evil. It must be where the warlocks are hiding.
- Morg Wolfsong: The ghosts of my brethren... now lie silent. Thank you, warrior. You have rid the world... of a terrible evil. I feel my death... approaching.
- Morg Wolfsong: Take the artifact... and the rest of our items. Use them to bring glory to the Horde.I will rest easier... knowing that they lie... in honorable hands.
- Drek'Thar: Ah, Rexxar, I'm glad you're here. I've been studying the thunder lizards for some time. The creature almost never leave this valley, but lately they've been migrating out in great numbers. As you've seen, they've also become highly aggressive.
- Drek'Thar: Something must be riling them up. Let's investigate the ridge and see if we can find any clues. Oh, and if you find any of their eggs, I'd love to study them.
- Footman: Look, more orcs! Our intelligence was right. We'd best head back to base and report!
- Rexxar: Humans? What could they be doing here?
- Drek'Thar: We allied with the humans at the Battle of Mount Hyjal. Our two races have been at peace ever since. Still, it's strange that they would venture so far into our lands.
- Lumber Mill! They've cut down all the trees! That's got to be what's driving the thunder lizards mad. We should destroy the mill immediately! Rexxar: A human
- Drek'Thar: No. Our warchief signed a non-aggression pact with the humans. Destroying their holdings could lead us to open war. For now we must put the raging lizards down before they cause anymore harm. We'll have to deal with the humans later.
- Rexxar: The poor beasts have been slain. What a terrible waste of life. We should report back to Thrall. He'll need to know what the humans are doing out here.
Collect Lizard Eggs
- Drek'Thar: Ah, well done, lad. Studying these eggs will help me understand the thunder lizard's ecology. They could be the key to ensuring that nothing like this ever happens again.
- : Ah, greetings, my friend. I am Chen Stormstout, humble brewmaster of Pandaria. I have traveled the wide world searching for rare, exotic ingredients to use in my special brew! After all, good ale can solve all problems of this world, don't you agree?
- Chen Stormstout: Say, if you're free, I could use your help in locating some special ingredients for my latest brew! If you find the items on this list and bring them back to me, I'll let you sample my masterpiece!
- Chen Stormstout: Ah, I see you've return empty handed. Don't be afraid, my friend, strong ale should be nothing to fear for one of your size.
- Chen Stormstout: Perfect, perfect! These are just what I needed! Here, try a sample of my latest creation.
- Rexxar drinks the ale and spits it out.
- Rexxar: What the hell is that stuff? Are you trying to kill me?
- Chen Stormstout: Ah, perhaps it needs some refinement. After all, we must learn to crawl before we can run, don't you agree? Well, now that my brew is complete, I can experience more of this strange, rugged land. Would you mind if I tagged along with you, warrior?
- Rexxar: Not at all, Chen. But my path is a perilous one.
- Chen Stormstout: Ah, my friend. I've found no path is too perilous when doused with strong drink. Off we go!
- Thrall: You were right, Rexxar. I should have trusted your instincts. Still, I can't believe Jaina would try something like this. Perhaps it's time we took a more direct approach.
- Theramore Isle and deliver it to her personality. Thrall: Rexxar, I've written a letter to Jaina Proudmoore asking her to account for all this madness. I want you to infiltrate her base on
- Rexxar: You can count on me, Thrall. But, I may need help bypassing the humans' defenses.
- Thrall: I've chartered this zeppelin to take you to the Darkspear tribe's new village. Once you get there, Vol'jin will that you get all the help you'll need.
- Thrall: Good luck, Rexxar. The future of Durotar is in your hands.
- Rexxar: These tracks indicate that the lizards came through this pass... I'm curious as to where it leads.
- “To Tame a Land” is a reference to a song with the same name from Iron Maiden.