|Affiliation(s)||Guardians of Hyjal|
Tortolla is the turtle demigod and, much like Malorne and Goldrinn, an Ancient guardian. He is the patron ancient to all creatures who move effortlessly between land and sea. According to Hamuul Runetotem, he is one of the oldest of the Ancients, having been alive since the time of the Titans. Due to that, he speaks in an old language that has been long forgotten, which proves incomprehensible (at least initially) to players.
War of the Ancients
Like many of Azeroth's ancients, Tortolla took part in the War of the Ancients in order to defend his world. Initially, the Burning Legion took little heed to him, as he was both nonthreatening and sluggish. However, this proved a fatal mistake, as he was able to easily crush hundreds of his enemies with his sheer weight and powerful jaws. Not only that, but his stony skin and hardened shell proved impossible for even the most powerful of the Burning Legion to pierce. He was one the few, if not the only, ancient to not fall during the war, being able to cover the retreat of the mortal races so that they could ultimately regroup and seal the portal. According to Hamuul, after the war he was found underneath a mountain of demon corpses, and slowly asked if they had won once he had shaken them off.
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Although Tortolla apparently wasn't seriously injured, he needed time to recover from the war and chose to slumber in the healing silt of Hyjal. He did not awaken until the Shattering itself roused him, and so when the Twilight's Hammer came to capture him he was not ready, so the cultists were able to create the dark ancient Nemesis, replacing Tortolla. After players free him and his unborn children, he is prepared to bring down his wrath and that of his children alongside the Guardians of Hyjal.
Tortolla is involved in the following quests:
- Freeing Tortolla
- Tortolla's Revenge
|Location||Level range||Health range|
- 7,130 - 10,568 Damage
- 107,970 Armor
- "Thinks and Groans"
- You may speak.
- I am listening.
- Vengeance will come, in time.
- You begin to irritate me!
- During the PTR his name was Tortollus.
- His name might be a joke or funny portmanteau of tortoise and tortilla.
- Tortolla is voiced by Dave Mallow.
- Tortolla was planned to appear in Legion with the same model as Tortos, but he was removed.
- An unnamed reptilian warrior ancient with a shell was mentioned in one scene of The Sundering. This may have been Tortolla.
- A race of turtle people called tortollans were first introduced in the Journey to Un'Goro expansion for Hearthstone, then made canon in Battle for Azeroth. Given their name and appearance, they are likely related to Tortolla.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.
|Breaking the chains||Defeating Nemesis|