Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
- "Totem" redirects here. For the old shaman relic items, see Totem (relic).
Totems are tools used by a shaman as an instrument of war. Characterized by their immobility and area of effect, the totems embody the shaman's mastery over the elements. Some totems possess destructive power while others aid and assist allies. Shamanistic cultures outside those of the Horde and Alliance also possess the ability to use totems in battle.
Totems are unique to the shaman. Once a totem is put down it cannot be moved, but a new totem can be used to replace it. Although the shaman's totems are summoned and fixed near the caster, a shaman player can place a totem while moving. A totem's effect is only active within a certain radius of the totem (making it a hybrid version of Point Blank Area of Effect and Ground Targeted Area of Effect). The totem can be planted underwater, and appears floating at the foot level of the character. Totems are immune to AoEs and DoTs, and must be specifically attacked to be destroyed.
Totems are considered spells, and summoning totems can be prevented by silencing effects.
Positional placement of totems
Totems are always placed roughly 3 yards away from the position from where you cast it. The exact position of the totem is dependent on where you are when you cast it, and in which direction you are facing.
|Fire Totem Spells|
|110||Rank 4 honor talent|
|Air Totem Spells|
|110||Rank 19 honor talent|
|110||Rank 43 Restoration honor talent|
|Unspecified Totem Spells|
|110||Rank 37 honor talent|
The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
Goblin shaman totems
Dwarf shaman totems
Pandaren shaman totems
Highmountain tauren shaman totem.
Dark Iron dwarf shaman totems.
Mag'har orc shaman totems.
Zandalari troll shaman totems.
Kul Tiran shaman totems.
Tauren totem object in Dalaran, a more modern model of the tauren shaman totem.
Totems used by NPCs
Heroes of the Storm
A totem on the artwork for the Thunderpetal card.
- Totem Golem a common shaman minion card from Hearthstone: The Grand Tournament appears to be based upon tauren totems.
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Draenei shaman totems models updated.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added totems models for Dark Iron dwarves, Mag'har orcs and Zandalari trolls.
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Added totem models for the Highmountain tauren allied race.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): A majority of totems have been changed to not be part of a category. Fire and Air totems still exist.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Totems will no longer cause hostile creatures to enter combat with the shaman based on proximity.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): All totems are now considered spells, and summoning totems can be prevented by silencing effects. , , and Fire Elemental totems fall into the Fire school, while all other totems fall under the Nature school.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Stone Bulwark Totem, Earthgrab Totem, Windwalk Totem and Healing Tide Totem added. Stoneskin Totem, Stoneclaw Totem, Strength of Earth Totem, Flametongue Totem, Elemental Resistance Totem, Mana Spring Totem, Totem of Tranquil Mind, Windfury Totem and Wrath of Air Totem removed.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Totem of Wrath has been removed (being replaced by the Totemic Wrath talent), along with Sentry Totem, Cleansing Totem, and Frost, Nature, and Fire Resistance Totems (which have been merged into one totem, Elemental Resistance Totem). In addition, a new totem has been added, Tranquil Mind Totem.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Each of the horde races now have unique totem artwork. Some of the totems are going from party-only buffs to raid buffs. Tranquil Air Totem has also been removed.