A trap is a grounded object, often concealed, that produces an effect as an enemy comes within its range. The ability to set traps is a defining feature of the hunter class. Traps can also sometimes be found in the game environment, usually in instances. Rogues can locate traps with and disarm them with .
- Main article: Hunter trap
Hunters can set the following traps:
- - A trap that freezes the first enemy that approaches, preventing all action for a limited time. Any damage caused will break the ice.
- - A trap that explodes when an enemy approaches, causing Fire damage and additional fire damage over 20 sec to all within 10 yards.
- - A trap that creates an ice slick around itself for 30 sec when the first enemy approaches it. All enemies within 10 yards will be slowed by 60% while in the area of effect.
- - A trap that releases several venomous snakes to attack the first enemy to approach.
- Supply Crate - Found throughout Stratholme. Some crates are traps that poison players and spawn Plagued Rats, Plagued Insects, or Plagued Maggots when opened.
- Suppression Device - Found in the room leading up to Broodlord Lashlayer in Blackwing Lair. This trap give off a Suppression Aura that reduces movement speed by 80%, time between attacks by 400%, and casting time by 80%.
- Proximity Bomb - Thrown by Shadowmoon Technicians in The Blood Furnace. If not disarmed, it will explode causing AoE damage.
- Land Mine - Found in Sparksocket Minefield in Storm Peaks. Rogues can disarm these to make a bit easier.
- Spirit Alarm - Four are found in Icecrown Citadel in the rooms before Lord Marrowgar. When tripped, a Deathbound Ward is released from the wall.
- Inconspicuous Lever - A sort of "reverse trap" found in Icecrown Citadel. When pulled, it safely disables the deadly fog guarding the area beyond Deathbringer's Rise.
- Geist Alarm - Two are found in Icecrown Citadel in the Plagueworks hallway containing Stinky and Precious. When tripped, a pack of Vengeful Fleshreapers ambush the group.