Twilight of the Gods (WC3 NightElf)
- This article is about the Warcraft III mission. For lore about the battle, see Battle of Mount Hyjal. For other uses, see Hyjal (disambiguation).
|Previous: The Last Guardian|
|Next: Eternity's End|
|Twilight of the Gods|
|Campaign: Eternity's End|
|Place: Mount Hyjal|
|Outcome: Azerothian victory with heavy casualties|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Casualties and losses|
|template | talk | edit|
Twilight of the Gods is chapter 7 of Eternity's End. It was the battle in which the Horde, the Alliance, and the Sentinels joined forces to defeat the armies of the Burning Legion and the Undead Scourge. This final battle is known in lore as the Battle of Mount Hyjal.
The next morning, near Hyjal Summit.
The night elves, orcs and humans gather to plan their defense of the mountain...
- 2 Stags
After being guided to Kalimdor by Medivh, the Orcish Horde led by Thrall and the Alliance forces led by Jaina Proudmoore had come into conflict with each other and with the night elves of Ashenvale, led by Malfurion Stormrage and Tyrande Whisperwind. Acting as a peace broker, Medivh was able to unite the warring factions to defend the World Tree, Nordrassil, from the Burning Legion's assault.
- Delay Archimonde for 45 minutes
- Archimonde must not reach the World Tree
You must attempt to slow Archimonde's ascent to Hyjal Summit by throwing everything you can at him and his elite forces. By doing this, you will buy Furion the time he needs to implement his mysterious plan for the World Tree's defense. Though many of your brethren may fall, their sacrifice will secure the future of the world itself.
- The camera sweeps over the night elf, orc, and human bases. Jaina teleports into a meeting with Furion, Tyrande, and Thrall near the human base.
- Jaina Proudmoore: I'm sorry I'm late. It's just as we feared. Archimonde and his doom guard are making their way towards the summit! He'll be here any moment.
- Furion Stormrage: Ten thousand years ago we night elves defeated the Burning Legion. Though the rest of the world was shattered, we were left free to live out our immortal lives in peace, bound to the World Tree.
- Furion Stormrage: We are its protectors, and through it we were granted immortality and power over nature. Now, at last, it is time we gave that power back.
- Tyrande Whisperwind: You realize that we will age as these mortals do. Our powers over nature will wane in time.
- Furion Stormrage: If pride gives us pause, my love, then perhaps we have lived long enough already. I will proceed to the summit and prepare our defenses there. Whatever comes, my love, remember... our bond is eternal.
- Furion runs over to a gate and begins some form of summoning spell. At the bottom of the mountain, Archimonde appears.
- Archimonde: Hear me, night elves! The time for reckoning has come!
- Jaina Proudmoore: If you can provide our bases with support and keep us from being overwhelmed, Thrall and I will delay Archimonde's ascent!
- Tyrande Whisperwind: Your plan is a bold one, girl. Perhaps I have misjudged you outlanders. May Elune shine upon you!
During the Mission
- Furion Stormrage: To arms, my brethren! To arms, brave orcs and humans! Twilight falls -- and the enemy awaits!
- Shandris Feathermoon: Priestess Tyrande, the undead have begun to construct a new settlement! It won't be long before they start attacking our allies!
- Jaina Proudmoore: The undead have breached our defenses! We need help immediately!
- Jaina Proudmoore: The undead are attacking! Send help!
- Jaina Proudmoore: We're getting swamped here! We could use some backup!
- Archimonde: You are very brave to stand against me, little human. If only your countrymen had been as bold, I would have had more fun scouring your wretched nations from the world!
- Jaina Proudmoore: Is talking all you demons do?
- Jaina teleports out of her base.
- Archimonde: Stormrage! Show yourself! Or do you intend to have mortal girls do all your fighting for you?
- Huntress: Priestess, the undead have constructed a new settlement. They are mustering new forces to send at us!
- Thrall: We're under attack! Send reinforcements quickly!
- Thrall: We need help immediately!
- Thrall: Fight on, my warriors! They cannot stop the Horde!
- Archimonde: You orcs are weak and hardly worth the effort! I wonder why Mannoroth even bothered with you!
- Thrall: Our spirit is stronger than you know, demon! If we are to fall, then so be it! At least now... we are free!
- Thrall casts a lightning bolt at Archimonde before teleporting out as well.
- Archimonde: The wretched little whelp actually hurt me... Are there none left to stand against the Legion?
- Archimonde: This is almost too easy! If I'd known that this mortal resistance would be so weak, I would have launched this invasion centuries ago!
- Huntress: Priestess, the undead have constructed a final settlement! They are mustering new forces with every passing moment!
- Archimonde: Come, you night elves! Where is the fire and the passion with which you fought so long ago?
- Archimonde destroys the night elf base and breaks down the gate.
- Furion Stormrage: Archimonde's victory here has made him overconfident. He will not see the trap that I laid for him until it is too late.
- Archimonde: At last! The way to the World Tree is clear! Witness the end, you mortals! The final hour has come!
- Tyrande runs up to Furion's watching point just as Archimonde arrives at the base of the World Tree.
- Tyrande Whisperwind: The outlanders held him back as long as they could. Were you successful in planning the summit's defense?
- Furion Stormrage: Yes. Now our victory is assured.
Note: this lore-only description is based on the progression of Twilight of the Gods, the final mission in Reign of Chaos, and not on the Caverns of Time instance.
- Phase I: Archimonde establishes a Scourge base halfway up the mountain, consisting of reinforced buildings that are capable of training demons as well as Undead. The new base quickly begins razing the forests and draining the gold mines there. Unknown to Archimonde, Furion Stormrage has set a trap at the gates of the summit.
- Phase IIa: Archimonde's forces attack Jaina's base, which blocks the only pass farther up the mountain. Jaina and her soldiers defend for some time. Archimonde eventually overruns her base, and the survivors teleport to safety. Thrall fortifies the Horde base with Goblin Land Mines.
- Phase IIb: Acolytes unsummon Archimonde's base where the resources are drained from the land and summon a new base on the site of the human settlement. This provides them with a fresh supply of resources and closer proximity to Thrall's base.
- Phase IIIa: Archimonde's army splits and attacks Thrall's base from different directions, as there are two entrances to the base. Between the defenders and the mines, Archimonde is further delayed, but Thrall's position is eventually compromised, and Jaina uses what magic she has left to teleport the orcish survivors to safety.
- Phase IIb: Acolytes unsummon Archimonde's second base where the resources are drained from the land and summon a new base on the site of the orcish settlement. This provides them with a fresh supply of resources and closer proximity to Furion and Tyrande's base.
- Phase IVa: Archimonde's initial force attempt to enter the Night Elf base from the north, but are intercepted by a large pack of Furbolgs, rallied to the fight by the Night Elves.
- Phase IVb: The army sent along the south path is ambushed by Dark Trolls, convinced to battle by the Night Elves.
- Phase V: After significant delays, Archimonde's army finally enters the Night Elf base. This final battle is fierce, as the forests and even the Night Elf buildings uproot themselves to attack.
- Phase VI: Archimonde slays the last troops personally, and smashes the gate to the summit... moments after Furion's trap is finally ready.
- Phase VII: As Archimonde prepares to absorb Nordrassil's powers, Furion sounds the Horn of Cenarius, awakening the Ancestral Spirits, an army of Wisp-like beings. Thousands of them detonate on impact with the Defiler, incinerating him, along with the World Tree and the surrounding forests. Medivh laid to rest any fears, confirming that, while "the roots will heal, in time, as will the entire world," Archimonde was gone forever.
Notes and trivia
- The official strategy guide calls this mission Archimonde's Ascent.
- Note that the World Editor uses the term Great Alliance as team name for the combined Sentinels, Horde, and Alliance Expedition. The term hasn't appeared in the game and its canonicity is in dispute.
- Jaina and Thrall have their inventory slots filled with Phat Lewt so they cannot be given items.
- There was originally going to be another mission set after this one. However, it ended up being almost two hours long, and during testing the developers realized that players didn't want to go into a "big slugfest of a mission" right after the 45-minute fight for survival in Twilight of the Gods. Furthermore, the final mission was deemed to be anti-climactic after the conflict at the World Tree. Therefore, the final mission was cut and Twilight of the Gods was instead made the final mission in order to make the game end on the cinematic.
- "Twilight of the gods" is the English translation of Ragnarøkkr, another name for Ragnarök, the end of the world in Norse mythology.
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Comic: Balancing the Scales; Lorewise only.
- ^ The Well of Eternity; Lorewise only.
- ^ 7th Legion; Lorewise only.
- ^ Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War; Lorewise only.
- ^ a b BlizzCast Episode 12 - Warcraft Anniversary Special (2009-12-08). Retrieved on 2019-04-24.
- ^ Game Informer #308: Reforging Real-time Strategy