|This article is an NPC stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
|Location||Ulfar's Den, Drustvar|
Ulfar is the last of the Drust druids and the leader of the Thornspeakers, an order of Kul Tiran druids based in Ulfar's Den in Drustvar, who train in the old ways of the Drust from before the time of Gorak Tul. He is the last Drust of this organization originally created by his people. Ulfar does not think highly of Gorak Tul, and believes Tul's twisted ways have disgraced their kind. Ulfar can be a hard teacher, but he's fair.
Ulfar was among the Drust who disagreed to wage war against the human settlers thousands of years ago, prompting the Thornspeakers to leave the Drust and join Kul Tiran society. Some of the humans' Kul Tiran descendants heard the call of the wilds and sought to learn the ancient ways, which the Thornspeakers taught them. Now Ulfar is the only Drust Thornspeaker left.
After gathering cores from Drust constructs at Gol Koval, the Thornspeakers delivered the cores to Ulfar and told him of the Drusts' return. When Katherine Proudmoore sought to save her daughter Jaina from Thros and the grip of Gorak Tul, Lucille Waycrest directed an adventurer to Ulfar. Ulfar at first did not want to aid them for he felt the door to the Blighted Lands should remain closed, but an attack from Gorak Tul made Ulfar realize that Thros was already open and its denizens no longer confined to their own realm.
- Well met, mainlander.
- Our roots run deep in this land.
- There is a rhythm to life. Can you feel it?
- My wisdom is not for the faint of heart.
- We strike back against the darkness.
- Have you come to learn?
- What do you ask of the Thornspeakers?
- It is unwise to poke the bear.
- My ways embrace death as part of the natural cycle. Care for a demonstration?
- I may be old, but I am not senile! Quit it.
- Stand strong.
- Strike fast, strike true.
- Strength of the forest go with you.
- Be wary of the woods.
- Maintain the balance.
- It has been a long time since a mainlander step foot in my grove.
- Do you wish to learn from the Thornspeakers, or do you come to lay claim to this land, as your kind are so fond of doing?
- Who are you?
- I am Ulfar, the last of the Drust Thornspeakers and the teacher of these students. One day my task will be over, I will return to the earth and a new High Thornspeaker will rise to lead, as is the proper way of things.
- But that day has not yet come.
- Are you druids?
- We are, <name>. We are guardians of the balance in nature, the keepers of the cycle. Life is a part of nature, as is death.
- You're a Drust? Wasn't there a war against them?
- Indeed I am. Not all of my people agreed with the conflict. Have you never seen division among your own?
- We Thornspeakers joined Kul Tiran society. Some of their descendants heard the call of the wilds and wished to learn the ancient ways, and so we have taught them.
- To druids
- Are you a druid as well?
- We are not so different from you, <name>. We are guardians of balance, keepers of the cycle. Life is a part of nature, as is death. But as a druid you know this.
- Be welcome in our grove.
- To hunters
- I have seen some animals that look like they are part plant. Can you tell me about them?
- I suppose you're seeking a new pet?
- <Ulfar scoffs>
- The magic of this place is deep and profound. It has come to inhabit some of the animals of the region. They are powerful manifestations of nature to be respected.
- The entrance to Thros lies within the great tree, Gol Inath, but crossing the threshold will not be as simple as walking through.
- To open the path, you will need an effigy of great strength. Not one of the trinkets of the coven, mind you, but one of old, Drust magic.
- The path to Thros will be treacherous, but that is merely a fraction of what awaits you inside the Blighted Lands.
- Prepare yourself, <class>, for the minions of Thros will use your deepest fears and regrets as a weapon against you.
- Ulfar is voiced by Italian film editor Clayton Halsey.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added.