Void elf (currently),|
Blood elf (formerly)
|Former affiliation(s)||Kingdom of Quel'Thalas, Magisters|
Magister Umbric is a void elf, and former blood elf, who was central in the formation of the void elf race and their subsequent entry into the Alliance. Once a magister of Quel'Thalas until he and his followers were exiled for tampering with the Void, Umbric now leads his people in their new way of life, alongside the famous . He and the other void elves are primarily based from the Telogrus Rift.
Exile from Silvermoon
As a blood elf, Umbric was a magister of Quel'Thalas and a dedicated scholar with a tenacious interest in the power of the Void. He believed the void to be a force that could be harnessed for the protection of Silvermoon and the sin'dorei people. His research was opposed by Quel'Thalas's Grand Magister, Rommath, who clashed with Umbric and his followers over their research. Rommath eventually succeeded in demanding they be exiled, reasoning that those who treat with the void pose a direct threat to the Sunwell.
Despite their banishment, Umbric and his followers persisted in their research, viewing the Grand Magister's admonitions as small-minded. Umbric would lead his group south, out of Eversong Woods and into the Ghostlands, seeking to prove the validity of their beliefs regarding the void. There, Umbric and the Silvermoon exiles would make a breakthrough upon discovering the long-buried research of the infamous necromancer from many years ago. They would learn that Drathir had attempted to personally enter a void-corrupted world and seize an object of incredible power from within, ultimately meeting failure. Umbric, building upon Drathir's findings, was able succeed where the necromancer had not, and opened the way to the fragmented world known as the Telogrus Rift. The magister then led his followers into the rift to hunt down the powerful item in question, believing it to be the key to controlling the shadows.
At the same time, the high elf hero , who had become aware of the existence of Umbric and his group during her recent disastrous pilgrimage to the Sunwell, set out to locate her similarly-exiled kin, hoping both to aid them in their journey and add their strength to the Alliance. Umbric himself had learned of, and was deeply intrigued by, Alleria's own link to the void and the darkened naaru she had absorbed during the campaign on Argus.
Having successfully reached the Telogrus Rift, Umbric and his fellow exiles quickly discovered an ancient and powerful cube on the ruined planet, and they began attempts to try to open it. Eventually, and an Alliance hero also arrived in the rift, having followed Umbric's trail, and made contact with the magister. Grateful for the aid, Umbric showed the new arrivals the ancient object his followers had been working on. At that moment, the cube opened with an explosion, and subsequently opened a path for the ethereal to access Telogrus Rift.
Durzaan and his forces immediately overwhelmed Umbric and his allies, and began a process to transform them into creatures of the void itself. Alleria, her champion, and some of Umbric's followers battled their way through the ethereals, reaching Durzaan himself and interrupting his ritual. After engaging him in combat, they were able to slay the Nether-Prince, driving his influence from the Telogrus Rift. In the aftermath, it became apparent that although the ethereal's ritual had not been fully completed, Umbric and the other blood elves had been permanently changed; they had now become ren'dorei, or void elves. Alleria quickly offered her aid in training Umbric and the other void elves in accepting and understanding their new forms, as well as a place in the Alliance.
Umbric, on behalf of his people, accepted Alleria's proposal, pledging the strength of the ren'dorei to the Alliance, and deciding to establish their base on the Telogrus Rift. Alongside Alleria, Umbric would continue to lead the void elves after this, even as more like-minded elves began to arrive in Telogrus in response to the recent events.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
- "The grand magister must understand that this power is crucial to the defense of Silvermoon. Never again shall the sin'dorei fall prey to our enemies!"
- "Like you, we believe the void can be used to defend life rather than consume it. We have made great progress, Lady Windrunner, but many mysteries remain."
- "Silvermoon turned its back on us long ago. Today we are reborn... and it is fitting that we walk a new path. From this day forth, the Alliance has our loyalty."
- "There will be those who doubt you. Who question your resolve, your ability to harness the powers that have caused the downfall of weaker wills.
Together, we will prove them wrong."
- Main article: Quest:Telogrus Rift#Notes
- We've been working for years to comprehend the powers the void might provide. Now, we are on the cusp of understanding.
- With Alleria's teaching, we can avoid the fate suffered by those on Mac'Aree.
- Locus-Walker is an intriguing fellow.
- Alleria seems to trust him... to a point.
- I think we can learn much from him, so long as we remain wary of his true intentions.
- Although broken and scattered, this rift holds many secrets. It will teach us much about the nature of the shadows.
- "Bal'a dash, malanore."
- "Greetings, traveler."
- "I have much to teach you."
- "The shadows serve us."
- "Come with an open mind."
- "We embrace power, we do not fear it."
- "All paths are possible."
- His journey can be seen in his notes: Umbric's Notes - Sanctum of the Moon, Umbric's Notes - Andilien Estate, and Umbric's Notes - Dawnstar Spire.
- The name "Umbric" is likely derived from umbra, the Latin word for "shadow", used in English as the name of the darkest and innermost part of a shadow.
When exactly Umbric and his followers were exiled is unclear, but it could have happened at any point after the events of the battle for Quel'Danas and the restoration of the Sunwell based on the fact that his research threatened the Sunwell.
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Added.