The Undermine, or just Undermine, is an underground city located on the small island of Kezan, in the South Seas, not far from the Maelstrom. It is considered the capital city of the goblins, who are native to the island. Undermine has many sluicetowns, one of which is Pyrix.
After the eruption of Mount Kajaro, the molten lava threatened to incinerate the island, but the ultimate fate of Kezan and the capital of Undermine remained unknown. For some goblins, the city and all of Kezan were thought to have been destroyed.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
Mentions of the Undermine
World of Warcraft
- Wharfmaster Dizzywig of Ratchet states, "...you could tell him that I've got some things from Undermine for him..." at the opening of the quest .
- The ending of the quest Excelsior says, "Thanks for you help I'll have this order filled and sent off to Director Riddlevox on the next boat to Undermine."
- Gazlowe in Ratchet states that Pozzik "was one of the most respected tinkerers in Undermine before he retired to start working on the racers."
- When the quest is turned in to Sputtervalve in Ratchet, he says, "This is... er... interesting... yes. I'll have it sent along to the Tinkers' Union headquarters in Undermine. I'm sure after some careful dissection and research, they'll be able to make some sense of it."
- When the quest Wenikee Boltbucket is received from Sputtervalve (after the above Samophlange quest), he says, "I think I might have broken that Samophlange. That's not good, because I already told some colleagues in Undermine about it and they were very intrigued."
- When the quest is turned into Wharfmaster Dizzywig in Ratchet, he says, "Look at the size of that thing! We're going to be rich! Let's see, according to the rates I've seen on gems going into Undermine, I should be able to figure out your cut--fifty percent, don't worry!"
- When you turn in the quest Southsea Freebooters to Gazlowe in Ratchet, he says, "I don't even want to think about the profits I've lost from pirate raiding, and now they set up camp on my doorstep? It's getting out of hand, Undermine's got to do something about it."
- In the Horde quest Sputtervalve says, "The matter of this gnome that has been hired by Venture Company has caused a bit of a stir in Undermine." It also mentions the trade princes, Director Riddlevox (the head of the Tinkers' Union), and Razdunk (the head of the Venture Company).
- In the shipment quests from Timothy Jones in Dalaran, a "wealthy shipping concern" from the Undermine request different collection of jewelry.
- After finishing the quest and bringing the to Ziz Fizziks, he says, "I'm sure the engineers in Undermine will be most interested to look at this..."
- Al'tabim the All-Seeing mentions Undermine and how the trade princes took Kezan from the trolls.
- The Claims Adjuster on Kezan is from "Undermine Insurance Unlimited."
- allegedly contains "Absurdly detailed records of countless transactions between buyers and sellers in the Undermine". (Note: The flavor text is a nod to The Undermine Journal - a fan website which tracks items and transactions on auction houses for US and EU regions - that was created and is maintained by Erorus.)
New Year event
The New Year 2005 content on the official community site, which states: "The innovative and artistic engineers of Undermine have been slaving away since their display of pyrotechnics in July."
Midsummer Fire Festival Event
The Midsummer Fire Festival 2008 event on the official community site, which states: "The lengthy Midsummer Fire Festival traditionally ends with the sky itself being set alight. The goblins of Undermine have lent their considerable skill (and copious amounts of gunpowder) to the task, resulting in a tremendous fireworks show! Take up a festival mug and raise a toast to the season as the multicolored explosions dance across the sky above you!"
In the RPG
Undermine is home to the fabled goblin trade princes, who hide from the Alliance and the Horde authorities on Kalimdor. The princes each control their own private armies and trade fleets. As a result, Undermine is a busy place, as the goblin fortress city goes about its business. In Lands of Mystery, the city had a population of 20,000.
The Undermine is the center of goblin civilization. It is located beneath and within Kezan, and is connected to the island via a series of volcanic tunnels. The main centers of Undermine are in volcanic caverns beneath Kezan. Secondary island caverns exist farther away, and the goblins have constructed tunnels of thick glass that lead to these smaller areas. Passing through these tubes means walking along the ocean’s floor and looking out to see the colorful fish and hungry sharks nearby. As the capital of goblin culture, Undermine teems with chaotic activity. Goblin alchemists and tinkers practice their crafts and set off explosions. Slave markets bustle in out-of-the-way places. Shops and businesses of all kinds are based here, and the headquarters of the Trade Coalition, the Venture Company and myriad other enterprises are within this city. In Undermine, you can find the extremes on both ends: reeking slave pens in one area, the trade princes’ lavish palaces in another.
Notes and trivia
- There seems to be an inconsistency of when the Undermine was established. The creation screen when choosing a goblin character says that the trolls enslaved goblins and forced them to mine kaja'mite out of the Undermine, deep in the bowels of Mount Kajaro. The official site says that the Undermine was created from the camps in the mines after they overthrew the trolls.
- Jungle trolls were initially said to have enslaved the goblins of Kezan. It was later changed to the Zandalari trolls. Moreover, the game portrays them as forest trolls.
- Blizzard originally wanted to include Undermine in the original World of Warcraft along with goblins as a playable race, with Johnathan Staats describing it as "tinker town" and "crazy". However, as the team did not have a ton of goblin art assets, building the goblin homeland would have required "a ton" of work, leading to both Undermine and playable goblins being cut from classic WoW.
- There is an American server called Undermine and a Spanish server called Minahonda, which means Undermine (Minahonda is more precisely translated as Deepmine).
- During a build of the Battle for Azeroth alpha, the dungeon The MOTHERLODE!! was called The Undermine.
- ^ The Blank Scroll, pg. 1
- ^ Description during creation of a goblin character
- ^ Defiant Troll
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, Updated and Expanded, pg. 165
- ^ Lands of Mystery, pg. 77 - 78
- ^ Races - Goblins
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1
- ^ MMO-Champion 2018-09-24. John Staats Interview - The World of Warcraft Diary (1:10:57). YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-09-24.