||The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 6.0.2 but is present in World of Warcraft: Classic.
- The subject of this article does not exist on the retail realms anymore.
- The categories should reflect this, and should not include retail realm categories.
- For the lore of the zone and its status after Warlords of Draenor, see Upper Blackrock Spire.
Upper Blackrock Spire is the upper area of Blackrock Spire. The area of the Blackrock Spire instance to the north of the Hall of Blackhand is commonly known as Upper Blackrock Spire. It is treated as an independent instanced dungeon from Lower Blackrock Spire, although it is in fact part of the same, huge instance.
The instance is a raid with 10 player cap. After patch 4.0.3a it was updated to be a 5-man dungeon. Before patch 3.0.8 the raid required completion of the quest [60D] Seal of Ascension, to acquire the [Seal of Ascension]. After the patch this was no longer needed, as the door that lead to Upper Blackrock Spire was now permanently open.
To enter the Upper Spire, use the same raid entrance as the Lower Spire and follow the left wall as you enter. You will ascend a small flight of stairs and into a hall with smaller side chambers. Each chamber is filled with mobs and a small glowing rune. Defeating the mobs in a chamber will deactivate a rune and once each has faded, a double door at the back of the hall will open.
- Main article: Blackrock Spire
These quests were removed from the game even before the dungeon was overhauled in Warlords of Draenor.
Obtained from Duke Hydraxis on the island northeast of the southern peninsula of Azshara
Lower Blackrock Spire
Upper Blackrock Spire
- Main article: Upper Blackrock Spire loot (Classic)
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now a separate instance, retuned for level 100 players, with heroic mode added. Encounters have been updated with recent storyline developments.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Upper Blackrock Spire is now a 5-man dungeon.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): No longer requires the Seal of Ascension to enter.
- Patch 1.10.0 (2006-03-28): Capped at ten players.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07):
- Capped at fifteen players.
- Some Blackrock Spire bosses will now properly display their true level, instead of being considered world bosses (who do not display level).