|Race||Night elf (Humanoid)|
|Character class||Demon hunter|
|Location||Mardum, the Shattered Abyss|
Vandel is a high ranking demon hunter of the Illidari. He was a night elf who lived in Ashenvale, but during the Third War his village was destroyed by the Burning Legion, and his son, , was torn apart by a felhound. Vandel then killed the felhound with a knife, and encountered when he stumbled out of his house. Believing the Betrayer to be behind the attack, Vandel attacked him, but Illidan easily fended off his attacks and asked the night elf to serve him, impressed that he killed a demon with only a hunting knife. When Vandel refused, Illidan told him to seek him out eventually, if he truly sought vengeance.
The Burning CrusadeThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
Eventually, Vandel did seek out Illidan, finding a way to reach Outland and scaling the walls of the Black Temple. Illidan readily welcomed him into his service, and told him he would find what he sought or die trying. Vandel befriended the demon hunters and Needle, as well as fellow novice . In the process of becoming a demon hunter, Vandel devoured the heart of a felhound to bind its soul to his own and was forced to not only relive his memories of his son's death, but shown visions of the infinite, invincible might of the Burning Legion; like the others, Vandel was so traumatized by what he saw that he clawed out his own eyes. Thereafter, Vandel constantly heard the whispered thoughts of the demon whose soul had been bound to his, tempting him not only to violence but to join the Legion. When he later discovered that he was growing scaly patches of skin, he tried to carve them off, nearly bleeding to death before he was found by Illidan's Broken servants and taken to for healing. During a training bout with Ravael, the latter lost control and assumed his demon form, overpowering the wards meant to blunt their weapons. When Vandel realized that no one was going to step in to save him, he gave in to the demonic whispers and killed Ravael, consuming his fallen foe's soul to heal his own wounds.
Illidan named Vandel as one of the leaders of his demon hunters, including him in his meetings with and the . When not otherwise occupied, Vandel liked to walk the Black Temple's Grand Promenade, which reminded him of Ashenvale. Vandel was at Illidan's side not only during the invasion of Nathreza, but also during a raid on a demonic caravan that first brought them into conflict with . When the Dark Portal was reopened and the armies of the Horde and Alliance marched through to Hellfire Peninsula, Vandel saw that Kruul was poised to destroy them and convinced Illidan to intervene, even holding his own for a time against the doomlord until Illidan struck the killing blow.
When the forces of the Alliance, Horde, Aldor, Scryers, and Sha'tar assaulted the Black Temple, Vandel watched their enemies throwing themselves at the wall until he felt Illidan telepathically commanding him and the other demon hunters to join their master deep within the temple. Vandel sensed both the urgency of the call and the stirring of powerful magic within, but was prevented from joining his brethren when he encountered the warden as he crossed the Illidari Training Grounds. Maiev attacked him, and though he tried at first to convince her he was not her enemy, she did not relent and he was forced to defend himself, ultimately assuming his demon form to try and destroy her. He fell for a feint, however, and her blade cracked into his skull; Maiev left him to die as she headed into the temple in search of Illidan.
Vandel's demonically-enhanced endurance saved him, however, and he awoke some time later to find the invaders celebrating Illidan's defeat. Though he initially considered killing as many as he could before dying in battle against them, he faintly heard Illidan's voice telling him to prepare. Knowing that others must be trained in the war against the Burning Legion, Vandel slipped away into the night.
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Years later Vandel reunited with the Illidari during the third invasion of the Burning Legion, becoming one of 's scouts. While on Mardum, he sends a message up to the Illidari's hijacked Legion ship, the Fel Hammer, stating that the demon hunters down below are under attack and taking heavy losses. and the Illidari's Slayer travel to the planet's surface as backup, where Vandel reveals that all was quiet until recently, when suddenly Legion portals opened and the scouts began to fight for their lives. Vandel saw run off on her own.
Notes & trivia
- When they first met, Illidan called him "nightstalker".
- He seemed to be one of Illidan's most favored demon hunters, and genuinely admire his potentials, especially after he witnessed Vandel slain the felbeast that killed his son Khariel with just a simple hunting knife. Illidan also occasionally placed him in charge of his demon hunters in various missions.
- When the player is accompanied by during , the ability marking S'theno as following them was actually named "Vandel is near" in early PTR builds. Since S'theno becomes a champion at the end of the questline, this may mean that originally the champion was meant to be Vandel.
- Along the way, Vandel begins to realize that the "demon within him" is not a demon at all, but dark thoughts festered through his growing insanity.
- Vandel is voiced by Cameron Folmar.
- Patch 7.2.0 (2017-03-28): Added.
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 8
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 6
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 11
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 13
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 25
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 22
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 17
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 21
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 23
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 30
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan chapter 31
- ^ Vandel is near
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan, pg. 238