- Now you see him...
Vanish is a level 32 rogue ability allows a rogue to disappear from sight, entering an improved stealth mode for 3 seconds even while in combat. During that time damage and harmful effects will not break stealth, but they will still afflict the rogue. Once the Vanish buff has worn off, the rogue will still be in standard . Upon being cast, Vanish also breaks any movement impairing effects. In addition to escaping, Vanish can be used as a damage cooldown, especially when the talent is chosen, as well as a powerful PvP cooldown allowing the rogue to briefly "pause" combat and then repeat an opening attack sequence.
- Allows the rogue to re- while in combat.
- All mobs aggroing the rogue will exit combat and reset, or turn to other players if the rogue is in a party.
- While the Vanish buff is active, the rogue's stealth is several levels higher than it is normally, allowing them to remain undetected, even versus enemies of higher level.
- Breaks free of root effects such as and .
- Removes effects that allow other players to see the rogue's location, such as .
- Vanish does not remove DoT's on you.
- Vanish does not work on city guards.
- Vanish is not affected by the global cooldown.
Tips and tactics
- Vanish and away when you are outmatched or need to recover, or when you pull a mob you don't want to attack right now.
- In groups, use Vanish if you are approaching the tank in threat, or have already drawn aggro. Keep in mind that if you Vanish while having aggro the mob will attack another party member; try to make sure that person isn't a healer.
- Ostensibly a defensive ability, Vanish also enables you to use your opening attacks (, ) multiple times during a fight.
- When stealthing past high level mobs or moving in for a , utilize Vanish's improved stealth to ensure the enemy doesn't see you.
- Vanish at the last moment to save yourself during a wipe (engineers with a or similar tool can turn this into a form of wipe recovery).
- Vanish is not designed to remove or mitigate the damage from damage over time spells. Use instead.
- Subtlety rogues may want to pool energy before using Vanish in order to maximize the number of attacks that can be performed during .
- Vanish is a basic Rogue spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text has intentionally been left blank, likely due to the text "vanishing".
- Vanish is Valeera's trait in Heroes of the Storm.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2012-11-27): "The cooldown of Vanish has been reduced to 2 minutes (was 3 minutes)."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Player guardians and temporary pets now stop attacking when a rogue uses Vanish, but city guards will not.
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22): This ability now correctly removes the snaring component of .
- Hotfix (2009-04-21): "Vanish should now properly remove the effects of the Mage spell Slow."
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Vanish no longer requires the reagent .
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22):
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Fixed a bug where the Chilled effect caused by / was not removed properly when vanishing.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Should be a lot more responsive when used to avoid incoming attacks.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Increased stealth bonus.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Vanish will now break root and slow effects.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Will now cancel spells in progress and missiles in flight if they are being cast at the vanished player.
- Patch 0.12 (2004-10-11): Now breaks root and snare effects.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Spellcasting against a Rogue that successfully uses Vanish will now be interrupted.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Duration reduced.