High Overlord of the Kor'kron Guard,|
Saurfang the Elder,
Supreme Commander of the Might of Kalimdor
|Affiliation(s)||Horde, Orgrimmar, Warsong Offensive, Kor'kron|
|Former affiliation(s)||Might of Kalimdor, Old Horde, Blackrock clan|
Leader of the orcs, Leader of Durotar and Orgrimmar, High Overlord of the Kor'kron;|
Formerly Supreme Commander of the Might of Kalimdor, Formerly Chief Advisor to , Formerly Second-In-Command of the Horde Expedition, Formerly Second-In-Command to Warchief Orgrim Doomhammer
|Relative(s)||(older brother), unnamed half brother, (son), (niece), deceased wife|
- "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
High Overlord Varok Saurfang (pronounced "VEH-rawk SAHR-fang") is a renowned orc warrior of the Blackrock clan and a famed veteran of the First, Second, and Third Wars. He served as 's second-in-command during the Second War, and as Supreme Commander of the combined Might of Kalimdor, rallying the army against the qiraji of Ahn'Qiraj in Silithus. He later led the Kor'kron against the Scourge in Northrend, and assisted during the Siege of Orgrimmar.
- 1 Background
- 2 Locations
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Quests
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Notes & trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Videos
- 9 Patch changes
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Varok Saurfang was born on Draenor as a member of the Blackrock clan and the younger brother of . Shortly after was named Warchief of the Horde, 5 years before the opening of the Dark Portal, he named Varok, and as his lieutenants, and they helped oversee the Blackrock war machine as it prepared for the war with the draenei. Varok made the free decision to drink the blood of Mannoroth alongside and led forces in the sacking of Shattrath, the Blood Curse causing them to murder many innocent draenei, children included.
Around the time of the Dark Portal's opening Varok's mate apparently died and was burned in Nagrand. Having promised his mate that their son would not be exposed to the warlocks or cross the Dark Portal, their son Dranosh was hidden away at Garadar in Nagrand, while Varok charged into the world of Azeroth, commanding Blackhand's army like an unstoppable force towards Stormwind, never losing in battle until the Horde was routed at the end of the Second War. When Orgrim seized control of the Horde in the First War, he chose Varok as his second-in-command after witnessing Saurfang's efficient and brutal tactics on the field. When the Horde marched from the Hillsbrad Foothills into the Hinterlands during the Second War, Varok commanded a rearguard of Blackrock orcs to waylay the Alliance.
After the demonic bloodlust had been lifted from the orcs due to Grom Hellscream's sacrifice in the Third War, Varok helped dozens of veterans come to grips with their previous atrocities, ultimately saving the lives of many great Horde soldiers. His own actions under the Blood Curse, however, continue to haunt him, as the sound of swine being killed when they are ready for slaughter remind him of the death screams of the draenei children, and older veterans like Varok are often troubled by the memory. It disturbed Varok so deeply that he has refused to eat pork ever since. He will not shy away from war, or hesitate to defend his people and the Horde. However, he refuses to start a war, and if it is within his power, he will prevent a warmongering spirit from doing so. Whether through actions or by words, he will stop them anyway he can... no matter what.
World of WarcraftThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
During the second War of the Shifting Sands, Saurfang traveled to the front lines in Silithus. He acted as the Supreme Commander of the Might of Kalimdor in the war against the silithid and their qiraji masters.
War against the Lich KingThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Varok was present when Scourge attacked Orgrimmar and helped defend the city. After the battle, Thrall pronounced that Varok will go to Northrend.
Saurfang is stationed in Warsong Hold as advisor to . He commands the Kor'kron in Northrend and remains wary of the resurfacing bloodlust of the orcs, due to its employment in Hellscream's savage but successful tactics. Varok also assisted adventurers in killing but insisted on not telling Garrosh about this.
During the battle for Angrathar the Wrathgate, the main entrance to Icecrown, fell to the shortly before the treachery of . Adventurers brought Dranosh's shattered armor back to his father at the behest of .
Fall of the Lich KingThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Once the undead form of his son (now called the Deathbringer) is defeated, Varok is first engaged with to not permit him to pass. Varian and Jaina arrive and Varian tells Muradin to let him pass and claims his son's body. Varok will not forget the King's kindness before leaving. He promises to give his son a proper ceremony in Nagrand, next to the pyres of his mother and ancestors. He ends with saying to the Horde players: "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
The Shattering: Prelude to CataclysmThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
Some months before the Cataclysm, traveled to Warsong Hold to meet with Garrosh. It was revealed that Saurfang would remain within the hold as part of the Horde's Northrend skeleton crew and as the leader of the Warsong Offensive and the Horde Expedition. As Cairne bid Saurfang farewell, he could see in the orc's eyes that he knew that there would be plenty of ghosts to haunt him, if only in his memories.
Siege of OrgrimmarThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Thrall mentioned that he would head over to Orgrimmar to find any orcs that wish to rebel against Garrosh, specifically Eitrigg and Saurfang.
Saurfang arrives at the siege to fulfill the promise he made to Garrosh many years before. He met with Thrall and attempted to enter Orgrimmar, but was stopped by Nazgrim. Nazgrim sent the Kor'kron army away and let the two orcs inside, but could not guarantee their safety. Varok then followed Thrall to the lair of Hellscream below Orgrimmar. However, he becomes injured in a battle against mantid, and insists that Thrall continues without him. He is later encountered by heroes seeking to destroy Hellscream and end his reign, and asks them about the fate of General Nazgrim. He is saddened to hear of Nazgrim's demise and laments the loss of the great leader and warrior Nazgrim has been. He then retrieves his axe from a dead mantid and returns to the surface.
War CrimesThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
Saurfang accompanied Go'el and to the trial of . He agreed with Baine as Garrosh's defender. Acknowledged as a hero by Horde and Alliance alike, he was called upon by as the third witness, and told the court of his conflicts with Garrosh in Northrend. His threat to kill Garrosh should he take the orcs down another dark road (and his subsequent uprising against Garrosh in the Siege of Orgrimmar) was key testimony, and seen as proof by many that Garrosh had gone too far in the eyes of some fellow orcs.
However, Saurfang did not desire the court to give Garrosh a death sentence. Were it up to him, Garrosh's love for his people would have earned him a trial tied to orcish customs, and a mak'gora against Saurfang to determine whether he would live and repent or perish for his crimes.
Warlords of DraenorThis section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
Varok is one of the several Garrison visitors that can appear every day. Upon entering Frostwall he will inform the the Commander of various threats to the Draenor campaign and will direct them to deal with dungeon and raid bosses.
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Back in Orgrimmar, Varok became commander of the city's defenses. Following the Battle for the Broken Shore Varok barred the entrance to Grommash Hold to a select few, and allowed the adventurer entry to see the dying . Following Vol'jin's death, Varok was present at the warchiefs' funeral ceremony at the Dranosh'ar Blockade. When took the mantle of Warchief, Varok was stationed inside Grommash Hold presiding over Orgrimmar as the leader of the orcs. Varok also personally lead the defense of the Northern Barrens during the Legion Invasion event from the Crossroads.
Varok later traveled to the Broken Shore with a warrior adventurer, believing that he needed to regain his valor after the disastrous battle on the island. Unfortunately, he got shot by a fel cannon mid-air, asking the adventurer to proceed and make them pay. of the Valarjar later sent the warrior adventurer to find Varok and duel him on the Broken Shore as he is believed to be the greatest axe wielder on Azeroth and could be an inspiration to forge .
When a Horde player reaches Prestige Rank 2, Varok can be found in the Undercity alongside other notable leaders of the Horde. During , he is present at the ceremony hosted by newly-elected Warchief Windrunner that congratulates the character for their battles against the Alliance, following their receiving of the from the Warchief, as well as an artifact appearance.
During Brewfest, Saurfang will ride out of the city to the festival grounds at at 8:10 A.M. and 8:10 P.M. each day for the ceremonial tapping of the keg at 8:15. Players present when he does this receive a 2 hour Brewfest Enthusiast buff that increases experience gained by 10%.
At a dinner celebrating the Legion's defeat, Saurfang and Baine expressed distrust towards Gallywix, who went to speak with Sylvanas privately about a mysterious new substance. When Baine told Saurfang that Gallywix had been sending many of his goblins to Silithus, Saurfang angrily stated that nothing good ever came from Silithus.
Battle for AzerothThis section concerns content exclusive to Battle for Azeroth.
Varok was one of the Horde generals under Warchief Sylvanas defending Capital City from an Alliance siege. When Sylvanas began to rally the Horde to push back the Alliance, Varok took up the Horde banner and led the charge. The orc leader managed to strike a blow on the Alliance leader, , knocking down the young king, but was pushed back by King . After this, Sylvanas and Saurfang looked in awe as Wrynn conjured a massive dome of light to heal and rally his wavering men, before clashing once again with the Alliance.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|(Skyhold)||100 - 110||13,866,541|
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Battle for the Undercity||??||2,819,000|
|Gunship Battle||??|| |
|Siege of Orgrimmar||90||295,455,744|
- Charge — Charges an enemy, knocking it back, and inflicting normal damage plus 150.
- Cleave — Inflicts weapon damage plus 50 to an enemy and its nearest allies, affecting up to 10 targets.
- Mortal Strike — Inflicts 500% weapon damage and leaves the target wounded, reducing the effectiveness of any healing by 50% for 5 seconds.
- Saurfang's Rage — Saurfang's rage comes in the form of a mighty round-house kick, followed by a sweeping strike that deals 8,000 to 12,000 damage.
- Saurfang's Rage — Increases melee, ranged, and spell casting speed by 35% for all party members. Lasts 20 seconds.
- Terrifying Roar — Causes nearby enemies to flee in fear for 5 seconds.
- Whirlwind — Attacks nearby enemies in a whirlwind of steel that lasts 15 seconds and inflicts normal damage plus 100.
QuestsThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- Grommash Hold
I am he that watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgment?The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
- Scourge Invasion
I understand Garrosh's desires. The urge for battle is strong within every orc, especially against a foe that has killed our people. But, the warchief has proven time and again that strategy is as important as strength in a battle.
We will set out when the time is right. We are no longer a band of mindless, demon-manipulated savages. This is the new Horde.
- "I am Saurfang. Brother of . You know me to be the Supreme Commander of the Might of Kalimdor. An orc - a true orc warrior - wishes for one thing: To die in the glory of battle against a hated enemy. Some of you have fought in battles. Peace has been with us for many years. Many years we sat idle but many years we battled. In those years - where strife the land and Legion and Scourge sacked our homes, killed our families - these insects dwelled beneath us. Beneath our homes - waiting. Waiting to crush the life from our little ones. To slay all in their path. This they do for their god. And for our gods? We defend. We stand. We show that as one. United. We destroy. Their god will fall. To die today, on this field of battle, is to die an orcish death. To die today is to die for our little ones. Our old ones. Our… loved ones. Would any of you deny yourselves such a death? Such an honor?"
- - addressing the Might of Kalimdor during the Second War of the Shifting Sands
Dialogue with Garrosh in Warsong Hold
Saurfang scolds 's impatience and lust for killing, reminding him of their race's history during a strategy conference in Warsong Hold:
Varok Saurfang turns around to speak with Garrosh.
High Overlord Saurfang says: We are surrounded... Our enemies press in from all sides, young Hellscream.
Saurfang walks to the central and Borean Tundra portions of the hide map of Northrend on the floor, kneeling to point them out, then walks off the map to stand before Garrosh.
High Overlord Saurfang says: The Scourge descends like locust from the north.
High Overlord Saurfang says: The Alliance holds the only secure shipping lane in this region, and even that is at risk of being lost to those dreaded mists.
High Overlord Saurfang says: Our only viable port for resupply is held by the Forsaken on the other side of this blasted continent!
High Overlord Saurfang says: Anything our zeppelins cannot haul must be brought in by ship and travel the length of Northrend to reach us.
Saurfang walks back to his usual spot.
Garrosh Hellscream grunts.
Garrosh walks up to the map and kneels.
Garrosh Hellscream says: Shipping lanes... supplies... You bore me to death! We need nothing more than the warrior spirit of the Horde, Saurfang! Now that we are firmly entrenched in this frozen wasteland, nothing shall stop us!
High Overlord Saurfang says: Siege engines, ammunition, heavy armor... How do you propose to shatter the walls of Icecrown without those?
Garrosh Hellscream says: Propose? I will show you what I propose!
Garrosh crushes the figures and flag indicating Valiance Keep on the map.
Garrosh Hellscream says: There... Now we now have a shipping lane.
Garrosh Hellscream says: And just for good measure...
Garrosh crushes the figures and flags indicating Valgarde and Westguard Keep. Garrosh walks back to his usual spot.
High Overlord Saurfang says: So the prodigal son has spoken!
High Overlord Saurfang says: Your father's blood runs strong in you, Hellscream. Impatient as always... Impatient and reckless.
High Overlord Saurfang says: You rush headlong into all-out war without a thought of the consequences.
Garrosh Hellscream says: Do not speak to me of consequences, old one.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I drank of the same blood your father did, Garrosh. 's cursed venom pumped through my veins as well.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I drove my weapons into the bodies and minds of my enemies.
High Overlord Saurfang says: And while Grom died a glorious death - freeing us all from the blood curse - he could not wipe away the terrible memory of our past.
High Overlord Saurfang says: His act could not erase the horrors we committed.
High Overlord Saurfang pauses.
High Overlord Saurfang says: The winter after the curse was lifted, hundreds of veteran orcs like me were lost to despair.
High Overlord Saurfang says: Our minds were finally free, yes... Free to relive all of the unthinkable acts that we had performed under the Legion's influence.
High Overlord Saurfang nods.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I think it was the sounds of the draenei children that unnerved most of them... You never forget...
High Overlord Saurfang says: Have you ever been to Jaggedswine Farm? When the swine are of age for the slaughter... It's that sound. The sound of the swine being killed... It resonates the loudest. Those are hard times for us older veterans.
Garrosh Hellscream says: But surely you cannot think that those children were born into innocence? They would have grown up and taken arms against us!
High Overlord Saurfang shakes his head.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I am not speaking solely of the children of our enemies...
High Overlord Saurfang pauses.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I won't let you take us down that dark path again, young Hellscream. I'll kill you myself before that day comes...
Saurfang turns away and looks at the map instead.
Garrosh Hellscream says: How have you managed to survive for so long, Saurfang? Not fallen victim to your own memories?
Saurfang turns around for a moment to answer.
High Overlord Saurfang says: I don't eat pork...
High Overlord Saurfang spits.
- Main article: Quest:Foolish Endeavors#Notes
- Main article: Light's Hammer#Quotes
- Main article: Gunship Battle#Quotes
- Main article: Deathbringer Saurfang#Quotes
- "High Overlord," Cairne rumbled, bowing. "As a father myself, I grieve for what you have had to endure. But know that your son died a hero, and what you have wrought here honors his memory. Anything else is borne away on the winds."
Saurfang grunted acknowledgment. "It is good to see you again, High Chieftain Cairne Bloodhoof. And... I know what you say is true. I am not ashamed to say, though, that I am glad this campaign has finally come to an end. We have lost too much."
- "I [Garrosh] leave a skeleton crew with Saurfang." [...] "It is my belief that my former advisor will sit and watch spiders spin cobwebs and fully enjoy the peace he so obviously craves."
"We have both done our duties. We serve the Horde. If I serve by watching little spiders instead of fighting large ones, then I am well content."
- Ah, more of 's revolutionaries. You've made it.
- Have you found ? I am badly hurt, he insisted on going ahead alone.
- Tell me, how goes the battle up above? What of ? Speak to me!
- Ah, Nazgrim. A great leader and a fine warrior. He valued his oath to the Warchief more than his life.
- I tried to tell him... to tell him that Hellscream betrayed us, cast aside a Warchief's responsibility to his own people. But Nazgrim... too loyal... too proud.
- Damn Hellscream. His ambition tore our Horde apart.
- Go on, find Thrall. Finish this. I will live.
We orcs came to this world decades ago, driven by demonic bloodlust, pillaging and carving a swath of destruction. Now free of the Blood Curse, we stand proudly alongside the greatest warriors of Azeroth, defending family and homeland with our dying breath. But we must never forget that dark past, lest it overtake us once again. Take these arms as a reminder of our origins, the foe we now face, and what it means to be of Horde. Lok'tar Ogar!
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- Main article: Legion Invasion#Stages
- Main article: Quest:A Desperate Plea (Legion)#Notes
- Main article: Quest:Return to the Broken Shore (Horde)#Notes
Diplomacy has never been my strong suit.
This work is best left in your hands.
Notes & trivia
- Varok is the only racial leader not to be acknowledged as such on the official orc page. Instead, the page lists Thrall as their Paragon. He was confirmed to be the leader of the orcs in an interview with Ion Hazzikostas.
- He sent .
- Saurfang sometimes wielded an in-game and an in art. After his model update in patch 7.3.5, he seems to wield an updated Arcanite Reaper.
- In the Undercity meeting, he has mana.
- During the Legion Invasions in the Northern Barrens, Saurfang rode a Kor'kron War Wolf.
- once met Varok: Did I ever tell you about the time I met Varok Saurfang? I asked him to sign my massive pectoral muscles. He backhanded me instead, which is why I sometimes forget things now. It was totally worth it.
- At one point, Varok was able to be mind controlled by Alliance players. Due to a bug, they could then use his skill with a full rage bar, leading to some of the most magnificent crit videos ever seen in WoW.
- Sometime after the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj event and possibly due to the aforementioned bug, Saurfang became a pop icon to Horde players, who affectionately create "facts" about him in the style of other pop culture icons such as Vin Diesel and Chuck Norris.
- Varok's appearance in Siege of Orgrimmar may be in reference to his iconic status, as he single-handedly defeated an army of mantid and made it out alive (though badly wounded, with a strike to the neck).
- During BlizzCon 2013, Chris Metzen named Saurfang as his personal favourite choice for the new orc racial leader. This would later be realized in Legion when Saurfang replaced in Grommash Hold.
- Varok Saurfang is voiced by Alan Shearman.
- Unlike other racial leaders and many major characters, Varok does not have unique NPC quotes, but continues to use the generic orc ones.
- In the early Warlords of Draenor beta, Saurfang served as the player's garrison assistant, but was replaced with General Zog prior to the expansion's release.
- It was initially possible for Horde players to take Varok for a patrol while he was present in the Frostwall garrison. This was later hotfixed with the description: "Visiting High Overlord Saurfang no longer offers to accompany Horde players on patrol over concerns that he may cleave the Garrison in half."
- Rumor has it that Saurfang once cleaved three men in half with one swing... of his hand.
- Saurfang was initially planned to appear in Razor Hill with patch 5.4 as part of a warrior quest-line as evidenced by .
- Despite his originally minor role Saurfang quickly gained popularity with Horde players because of how powerful his abilities were, somewhat similar to the way gained his popularity. Saurfang's had a knockback of 30 yards, his Rage bar was always full, and his dealt heavy critical damage. Additionally, he had the unique, high-damaging ability Saurfang's Rage which activated when he received a critical hit. Due to all of these factors, Saurfang was often a challenge for Alliance raids when they came to kill Thrall.
Saurfang, as represented in the official comic.
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Model updated.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now stands in Grommash Hold.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Removed from Orgrimmar. Added in Borean Tundra.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Level raised from 62 to 72.
- Patch 1.9.0 (2006-01-03): Added in Silithus.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Added in Orgrimmar.
- ^ a b Ultimate Visual Guide, page 123
- ^ World of Warcraft: Stormrage, pg. 5
- ^ Ion Hazzikostas Q&A, Gamescom 2017
- ^ The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, pg. 14
- ^ , Thrall says: It's good to have you back, Varok, old friend. I'm sorry about your boy.
- ^ BlizzCon 2017, World of Warcraft | What's New
- ^ Chris Metzen, Quests & Lore Panel, BlizzCon 2010
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2, page 83
- ^ Deathbringer Saurfang - Quotes, High Overlord Saurfang says: I made a promise to his mother before she died: that I would cross the Dark Portal alone
- ^ a b c Ask CDev Answers - Round 1
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2, page 160
- ^ Saurfang's conversation with Garrosh Hellscream
- ^ Heart of War
- ^ http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/3p3/icecrown-raid.xml
- ^ The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm
- ^ Escalation
- ^ War Crimes
- ^ Epilogue Horde Cinematic
- ^ Orcs
- ^ http://www.lowmoan.com/ashearman/voice.html
- ^ Wowhead comment from 2006
| Preceded by:
Commander of the Kor'kron
| Succeeded by:|
| Preceded by:
Leader of the orcs
| Succeeded by:|