Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Level: 80 - 90|
Vashj'ir (pronounced /vɒʒɪər/) is an underwater region located near the Eastern Kingdoms, off the western coast of Khaz Modan. The ruins of the city located in the Shimmering Expanse were the home of Lady Vashj before the Great Sundering. Players can swim throughout the zone by jumping but when on the ground it acts similar to the terrestrial zones and players can use special underwater mounts to move around it. In the Abyssal Depths is located the Abyssal Breach that allows you to reach the Abyssal Maw, which contains two 5-man dungeons.
- 1 Description from site
- 2 Geography
- 3 Vashj'ir quests
- 4 Resources
- 5 Wild creatures
- 6 Refuges
- 7 How to get to Vashj'ir
- 8 Notes
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Videos
- 11 Patch changes
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Description from site
Once a great Highborne city housing some of the most revered night elves of Kalimdor, Vashj'ir was swallowed by the Great Sea in the Sundering and thought to be lost forever. Queen Azshara, formerly a beloved leader of the Highborne, escaped death in the depths of the sea when the Well of Eternity imploded. Such salvation came at a great cost, as the queen and many of her fellow Highborne were forever transformed into the monstrous naga, doomed to wander the seas for thousands of years. Their existence mostly remains a mystery to the peoples of modern Azeroth, though the Earthen Ring has learned of Azshara's naga seizing Vashj'ir for an unknown purpose as the cries of the elements echo across Azeroth from the Abyss.
The Sunken City
Vashj'ir is a level 80-82 zone in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm where players will be called to explore the depths of the Great Sea and stop the naga from seizing immeasurable power from the realm of Neptulon the Tidehunter. This expansive underwater zone will feature an unprecedented fight for survival against the naga overwhelming the area, several new quest hubs - including Alliance and Horde naval ships and submarines - all-new underwater travel and combat mechanics, several pocketed undersea caves free from water's grip, a new five-player dungeon (Throne of the Tides), and the first-ever opportunity to explore the remains of the once-majestic city of Vashj'ir.
Bottled Distress Message Found Adrift at Sea
Need your help. Time is short. I'm held captive in what I hope to be a nightmare.
Enjoying the ocean air just days ago. We were determined to control key trade routes through victory at sea over the Horde. Their fleet came into our scopes. Our world became the deafening sound of battle, the smell of gunpowder, and the feeling of fear. Looking back now, though, that wasn't real fear.
We weren't alone in those waters. Our naval warfare attracted attention and rendered us prey. With our vessel already torn apart and taking on water, we saw a tremendous creature rise from the depths and shatter the hull, sucking us down to the sea floor. It all happened so fast. I was quick to tread the waters, hoping to regroup with any survivors I could find through a dense garden of kelp, constantly gasping for a chance breath. That's when the onslaught began. From all directions swarms of brutal naga swept through and captured a great many of us. Beaten near to death, I awoke in agony, bound in chains.
And here I still sit. I can only describe our prison as very big and somehow very much alive. We're in the hands of the naga now. Surviving crewmates in better condition than me are driven into slave labor.
One escaped. Thomas. He didn't make it far before I saw him dragged back. Before being forced into labor, he spoke in a panic about some large shell protecting this living prison, expansive night elf ruins in the distance, strange naga rituals underway, and sea vrykul battling our captors. He made little sense. Could be mad. Or I could be mad to hope vrykul are fighting to free us.
Maps and subregions
Regions of Vashj'ir
- Main article: Vashj'ir quests
Vashj'ir plays out as one long, cohesive storyline, from the very beginning in Kelp'thar Forest when players find themselves shipwrecked by Ozumat, through the Shimmering Expanse, where players come to the horrible realization of just what the naga are planning for Azeroth, and climaxing in the Abyssal Depths, as players try to defend Neptulon from the naga forces' attack.
- Deep sea murlocs
- Faceless ones
- Puffer fish
- Sharks (including the Whale Sharks)
Air-filled caves are scattered throughout the continent. Explorers can spot their entrances by searching for yellow tube worms with purple shells. Here, adventurers can place campfires and eat food. Some refuges have an innkeeper, vendors, seahorse point and even a mailbox. Often these NPCs are added by completing phased quests.
These refuges are often informally called "save caves" due to the way the city port works when sending players to the zone. They are listed here in order of appearance:
- Smuggler's Scar, Kelp'thar Forest
- Deepmist Grotto, Kelp'thar Forest
- Damplight Chamber, Shimmering Expanse
- Silver Tide Hollow, Shimmering Expanse
- Legion's Rest / Tranquil Wash, Shimmering Expanse
- Tenebrous Cavern / Darkbreak Cove, Abyssal Depths
How to get to Vashj'ir
- The intended way to get to Vashj'ir for the first time is via one of the breadcrumb quests: , or .
- Alliance players are sent to Stormwind Harbor to the northernmost dock. With one of these quests in the quest log, players are in another phase where a mercenary ship appears instead of the normal ship to Borean Tundra. This mercenary ship then takes them to Vashj'ir.
- Horde players are sent to Bladefist Bay just to the southeast of Orgrimmar, where a mercenary ship phases in.
- After getting shipwrecked and completing , there is a portal from the Western Earthshrine in Orgrimmar and from the Eastern Earthshrine in Stormwind City. This sends players to a refuge such as Smuggler's Scar or Silver Tide Hollow depending where on the quest progression they are; the most recently-unlocked refuge is generally chosen.
- Players can fly to Vashj'ir with a flying mount: fly directly west from Dun Morogh, west-north-west from the Stormwind Harbor lighthouse or south-west from Ruins of Gilneas. Players will fly over the fatigue waters between the continents and it will take 280% flying skill to reach Vashj'ir before dying to fatigue.
- There is a flight point at Sandy Beach, a thin strip of sandy land just above Kelp'thar Forest, that is directly connected to Undercity and Ironforge respectively. From there one can utilize the sea horse "flight" service to travel between the various caverns/quest hubs in Vashj'ir. No quests take players to Sandy Beach directly, however.
- A Restoration druid can easily reach Vashj'ir with the talent, two , a healing potion, a mana potion and some elixirs. Fly to Menethil Harbor and then go to the closest point to Vashj'ir.
- South-east of Gnomeregan there is a passage that leads to the nearby mountains. Climb them until you reach the forest west of Gnomeregan. Go through the forest to the mountains on the other side. Find the tall mountain that is the closest to Vashj'ir. You will need a . When you arrive, avoid the sharks and head to the Lightless Reaches. Go a little bit south and enter the cavern. Exit it on the other side and go up. You will find a flight master who has the flightpaths to the Eastern Kingdoms and one who has the flightpaths to other Vashj'ir locations.
- The Vashj'ir Honor Guards are likely from here.
- Vashj'ir is one of the zones in Cataclysm that heavily features underwater walking as a constant feature.
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Level scaling implemented, previous zone level: 80 - 82.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.