|Faction/Affiliation||Venthyr Covenant, Court of Harvesters, The Avowed, Ember Court|
Prince Renathal |
Court of Harvesters
The venthyr of Revendreth are vampiric punishers of the unworthy charged with rehabilitating the sinful souls sent to them by the Arbiter. Souls who are successfully rehabilitated can then choose to be sent to another realm to serve for eternity, or become a venthyr themselves and continue the cycle as an instrument of repentance. The venthyr were created by Sire Denathrius in his likeness, forging them from the souls of the redeemed. The first of them was Prince Renathal. The Venthyr Covenant is one of the four covenants ruling over the Shadowlands.
If a venthyr is exposed to the Light for too long, they become an ash ghoul. The only remedy is to find a dark spot, and to consume the anima that venthyr extract, referred to as liquid shadows. It is noted to taste bad to the dredgers.
The venthyr have a good thing going. They lord over Revendreth's castles and ceaseless twilight while arrogant souls are delivered to their tables. The harvesters' otherworldly punishments strip the pride from their thralls, sparing them an even worse fate: eternal torment in the Maw.
But souls thus drained can't just leave Revendreth for a better place. They have years of penance to slog through while they reflect on the precarity of their afterlives. And, after eons of service, the venthyr are increasingly ruled by their decadence and pride. The very purpose of the plane may be flawed… and those who were once accusers have become gluttonous and corrupt.
Revendreth must always have a master, and rumor suggests that Denathrius, foremost among the venthyr, may no longer be fit for the role. Crowning a new Sire could return the plane to its former glory… or leave Revendreth mired in the same decadence and sin it is charged with cleansing.
The venthyr are aristocratic overseers of souls burdened with excessive pride and wickedness. They guide troubled souls upon the rigorous path to atonement, harvesting anima to keep their realm strong.
- Redelav District
- House Briarbane
- House Darkvein
- House Duskmire
- House Iremoore
- House Primrose
- House Redelav
- House Sinfang
- House Sourwine
- Chalice District
- Old Gate
- Temel in the Spire of the Unseen Guests
- Lady Rovinette in the Spire of the Unseen Guests
- Lady Ilinca in the un-instanced Ember Court
Notes and trivia
- No venthyr document is official until it's excessively ornate.
- The appearance and themes of the venthyr seem mainly inspired by Dracula and its adaptations.
- The name "venthyr" is similar to the Ventrue, a prominent vampire clan from Vampire: The Masquerade. Tremen Winefang is a reference to the Tremere clan of the same universe. It's also similar to a number of Eastern European names for vampires or vampire-like creatures, such as Dhamphir.
- Some of the male venthyr NPCs are voiced by Simon Templeman, who is known for his role as Kain, a vampire antihero in the video game series Legacy of Kain.
Venthyr in Afterlives