|This article is a location stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
The Violet Citadel (or the Violet Tower) is the central fortress of Dalaran which housed/houses the Eye of Dalaran, Chamber of Air, research laboratories and great spell libraries of the Kirin Tor — the mage class of Dalaran. The towering spire raised by magic is located the heart of the city. It's majestic spires and great halls, roofed by thick slate the color of lapis lazuli, gave the citadel its name.
The Violet Citadel is the location of the Grand Library. The Violet Citadel also contains the Arcane Vault which houses Dalaran's most powerful artifacts. It was from there that stole the Eye of Dalaran and killed .
In the rebuilt Dalaran seen in World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, the Violet Citadel is home to and his council of advisors — , Archmage Aethas Sunreaver, and — who rule Dalaran and lead the Kirin Tor in its war against the blue dragonflight and Scourge. It is also the location of the Kirin Tor quartermaster who is located on an upper platform directly behind the four leaders.
After Rhonin's death, many, if not all mages of the Kirin Tor gathered here to commemorate the fallen archmage.
The tallest spire atop the Violet Citadel is actually a weapon used for the defense of the city and offense against its enemies. However, after the weapon was used against the Burning Legion during the assault on Broken Shore it was sabotaged by the Legion. The dreadlord , helpless and imprisoned within the , has his power siphoned to re-power the weapon.
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
- <Leader of the Kirin Tor>
- <Ranger-General of the Silver Covenant>
- <Kirin Tor>
- <Kirin Tor>
- <Kirin Tor Quartermaster>
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Notes & trivia
- Long before the First War, used to live in the Violet Citadel.
- The Violet Citadel itself also holds a striking resemblance to Arcane Observatories from Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (and not the actual Citadel's model) to the point of being nearly exact.
- A subzone called "Violet Citadel Balcony" can be discovered outside the Purple Parlor, but it does not display on the minimap.
- The Violet Citadel was originally told in Warcraft II to be the capital city of the nation of Dalaran, with the city itself being located on Cross Island. The mage towers of that time were also described to be extensions of the Violet Citadel, allowing the mages inside to research arcane spells unfettered by the affairs of the temporal plane.
Cross Island in Warcraft II, with the Violet Citadel on the upper part of the island.
The Violet Citadel as seen in Warcraft III.
- ^ Magister Varenthas#Quotes
- ^ The First Guardian, intro
- ^ The Last Guardian
- ^ The Last Guardian, pg. 18
- ^ Beyond the Dark Portal
- ^ Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War
- ^ Cycle of Hatred, chapter 12: ...The words were barely out of his mouth when Aegwynn teleported back to the Violet Citadel, in desperate need of sleep...
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Nations of the Alliance, Dalaran
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Alliance Buildings, Mage Tower