The Violet Citadel (or the Violet Tower) is the main fortress of Dalaran which housed/houses the Eye of Dalaran, Chamber of Air, research laboratories and great spell libraries of the Kirin Tor — the mage class of Dalaran. The towering spire raised by magic is located the heart of the city. It's majestic spires and great halls, roofed by thick slate the color of lapis lazuli, gave the citadel its name.
The Violet Citadel is the location of the Grand Library. There's a vault below the Violet Citadel where the Council of Tirisfal trapped the dreadlord Kathra'natir 2,600 years BDP. The Violet Citadel also contains the Arcane Vault which houses Dalaran's most powerful artifacts. It was from there that Teron Gorefiend stole the Eye of Dalaran and killed Sathera.
In the rebuilt Dalaran seen in World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, the Violet Citadel is home to Rhonin and his council of advisors — Vereesa Windrunner, Archmage Aethas Sunreaver, and Archmage Modera — who rule Dalaran and lead the Kirin Tor in its war against the blue dragonflight and Scourge. It is also the location of the Kirin Tor quartermaster who is located on an upper platform directly behind the four leaders.
After Rhonin's death, many, if not all mages of the Kirin Tor gathered here to commemorate the fallen archmage.
The tallest spire atop the Violet Citadel is actually a weapon used for the defense of the city and offense against its enemies. However, after the weapon was used against the Burning Legion during the assault on Broken Shore it was sabotaged by the Legion. The dreadlord Kathra'natir, helpless and imprisoned within the , has his power siphoned to re-power the weapon.
- Rhonin <Leader of the Kirin Tor>
- Vereesa Windrunner <Ranger-General of the Silver Covenant>
- Aethas Sunreaver <Kirin Tor>
- Archmage Modera <Kirin Tor>
- Archmage Alvareaux <Kirin Tor Quartermaster>
- Archmage Kalec <Kirin Tor>
- Archmage Ansirem Runeweaver <Kirin Tor>
- Archmage Modera <Kirin Tor>
- Archmage Khadgar <Kirin Tor>
- Archmage Karlain <Kirin Tor>
- Archivist Elysiana <Curator>
- Robert Newhearth <Head of the Curators>
- Archmage Lan'dalock
Notes and trivia
- Its tallest spire is called Dalaran Spire.
- Long before the First War, Aegwynn used to live in the Violet Citadel.
- The Violet Citadel itself also holds a striking resemblance to Arcane Observatories from Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (and not the actual Citadel's model) to the point of being nearly exact.
- A subzone called "Violet Citadel Balcony" can be discovered outside the Purple Parlor, but it does not display on the minimap.
- The Violet Citadel was originally told in Warcraft II to be the capital of the nation of Dalaran, being located on Cross Island, which is said to be outside the proper city in The Last Guardian novel.
The Violet Citadel as seen in Warcraft III.
The city of Dalaran, the tall spire in the center is the Violet Citadel.
The interior of the Violet Citadel, with members of the Council of Six.
- ^ Magister Varenthas#Quotes
- ^ The First Guardian, intro
- ^ The Last Guardian
- ^ The Last Guardian, pg. 18
- ^ The First Guardian, pg. 4
- ^ Beyond the Dark Portal
- ^ Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War
- ^ Wowhead
- ^ Cycle of Hatred, chapter 12: ...The words were barely out of his mouth when Aegwynn teleported back to the Violet Citadel, in desperate need of sleep...
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Nations of the Alliance, Dalaran
- ^ The Last Guardian, chapter 7
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Alliance Buildings, Mage Tower