|This article is a location stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
|Level: 110 - 120|
Battle Pet Level: 25
|Sources: Battle for Azeroth|
The unforgiving desert of Vol'dun is one of the three regions of Zandalar. Previously a vibrant and lush jungle, Vol'dun is now a virtually uninhabitable, vast sea of dunes dreaded by all Zandalari, for to be exiled to its endless wastes is a sure sentence of death. And yet somehow, the wily nomads known as the vulpera have managed to eke out an existence here, despite facing constant threat from the sethrak, a brutal snakelike race determined to reign over this arid wasteland.
Thousands of years ago, this vast desert with rolling sand dunes was once a dense, vibrant jungle, described by Meerah as the jewel of the troll empire. The Zandalari trolls and the snake-like sethrak lived in harmony in this region, and together they worshiped the snake loa Sethraliss.
During the war between the trolls and the aqir roughly 16,000 years ago, the C'Thrax Mythrax the Unraveler was tasked with invading Vol'dun and descended upon the region, slaughtering troll and sethrak alike. Sethraliss sacrificed herself to defeat Mythrax, but not before the C'Thrax was able to destroy the disc at the heart of Atul'Aman. Due to Sethraliss' death and the various cataclysms that occurred in the region as the years progressed, the jungles of Vol'dun were transformed into a vast desert. As a result, most of the trolls abandoned the region. This left only the sethrak, who continued to survive and thrive in Vol'dun, which they considered the holiest of holy grounds.
After witnessing the destruction wrought by Mythrax firsthand, the sethrak knew that something had to be done to prevent anyone from raising the C'Thrax again. Sulthis, Vorrik, and Korthek worked together to seal Mythrax within the great pyramid. Years later, Korthek grew power hungry and sought to free Mythrax to conquer Zuldazar. He gathered like-minded sethrak and declared himself emperor of the Faithless.
In the present day, Zandalar sends its criminals here to die, and most of them end up perishing. The area is mostly inhabited by Zandalari vagabonds, sethrak, and vulpera. The Ashvane Trading Company has a presence in the southern edge of Vol'dun, mining for Azerite.
Maps and subregions
|Instance name||Level range||Group size||Approximate run time|
|Temple of Sethraliss||110 - 120||5 player||Unknown|
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Nazmir||110 - 120||East||???|
|Zuldazar||110 - 120||South||???|
- Main article: Vol'dun NPCs
- Main article: Vol'dun storyline
- Main article: Vol'dun vignettes
Notes and trivia
- At BlizzCon 2017, Vol'dun's transformation from a jungle to a desert was explained as being due to the aqir armies of the Old Gods attacking the region. However, the aqir are never mentioned in-game, and Vol'dun's state is instead attributed to the battle between Mythrax and Sethraliss. It was also stated that "players will face off against Aqir, Zandalari vagabonds, and the Sethrak", yet aqir are never seen in-game. Finally, there exist many silithid fossil models in the Vol'dun files, but they were never used. This means that Vol'dun's backstory seems to have been changed since its announcement at BlizzCon and the release of Battle for Azeroth.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added.
- ^ File:Blizzard Museum - Zandalar.jpg
- ^ a b c BlizzCon 2017 World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth Panel Transcript - Page 3 of 12 - Blizzplanet (2017-11-04). Retrieved on 2018-09-10.
- ^ a b Vorrik#Quotes: Vorrik says: This temple is the resting place of Sethraliss, a powerful loa that protected my people from destruction long ago. / She sacrificed herself to stop Mythrax... but with her death, the jungles of Vol'dun withered to sand.
- ^ a b
- ^ Tales of de Loa: Sethraliss
- ^ a b c d e The Lost Codex 2018-11-03. Blizzcon 2018 Interview: Alex Afrasiabi & Patrick Dawson - Story and Systems | The Lost Codex. YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-11-03.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 70
- ^ a b c
- ^ a b c
- ^ BlizzPro's transcript of BlizzCon 2017